Would Bikini's Boost Oz Recruitment?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Redsailor, Jan 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Commander Tom Phillips, appointed to the helm of Collins class submarine HMAS Farncomb last year, also said the submarine equivalent of the "mile-high club" is the "going down club".

In an interview with men's magazine Ralph, he revealed the naval uniform works to "either pull a chick or get in a fight".

When asked: "If female sailors all had to be hot and had to wear bikinis, would that help recruitment?" the commander was quoted as saying: "It would certainly get the right demographic of young men in.

"I'm not sure how feasible it is, however."

The country's opposition and feminist groups have taken exception to the article, demanding action.

Australia's Minister for Defence Personnel Warren Snowden said the comments were "utterly unacceptable".

Conservative opposition politicians called for the senior sailor to be sacked.

If female sailors all had to be hot and had to wear bikinis, would that help recruitment?

Question asked to Commander Tom Phillips

"If these comments are to be attributed to this newly-appointed commander, I think it will go down as one of the shortest careers in naval history," MP Bob Baldwin said.

Australia's navy is suffering a recruitment crisis and had to stand down for two months over Christmas because there were not enough sailors.

The navy last year said it had only enough sailors to man half its six-boat fleet of Collins-class submarines.

But deputy navy commander Rear Admiral Davyd Thomas dismissed the criticisms, saying Cdr Phillips had been asked a "flippant question".

The Rear Admiral rejected women's rights group accusations that the navy valued "bodies rather than brains".

"The commanding officer's response was not intended to be serious," Mr Thomas said.

Red Sailor

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Evidently not! :twisted:

[​IMG]

3. Feeding time at the pig sty!!

4. Bet you would really! :oops:

5. That's fcuking brilliant! He should come over and teach media handling to our lot, great stuff. And as for the horrendacrocodillapig, after 7 months at sea you fcukers wouldn't turn it down...

6. Okay. I probably would :oops: :oops:

7. What do you mean Probably :drunken:

8. FFS, it was an interview with RALPH magazine. His tongue-in-cheek responses to stupid and inane questions have been portrayed by some idiots as official naval policy. It will go no further simply because the RAN and Aussies in general are not as gullible as the gutter press would believe.

9. p.s. Given a paper bag, I'd probably do it. (I've never been to bed with an ugly woman - but I've sure woken up with a few).

10. There are no ugly women, just "Further down the queue".

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I remember at army/navy game at Twickers after the boat incident, a crowd of pongoes singing "Drunken Sailor" with the chorus changed to "Hooraye Faye is minging!". :lol:

12. Ah so you have been to Melbourne then MLP? 8)

13. :D

14. Typical ex booty,no taste! :roll:

15. I'd rate her as a twelve pinter. And after 12 pints I wouldn't be able to raise a smile. So happy to say I wouldn't.

16. Probably got nice pesonalities :)

17. So, if it was your last shag before you popped yer clogs, you would rather have a ****?

Keep Striving