Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wots Best?

froggit

Lantern Swinger
I believe that the RTC just north of Edinburgh, is the BEST unit in the UK. I believe this cos they are high profile, Keen and achieve, 2 items on the telly last year, not 10 second ads but major parts of 30 min programmes (all good I Might add) and also were the guard for the Edinburgh Tattoo, supported by one or two others, but mostly the one unit.
This unit also supplies the majority of the muppets, and muppet trainers. Also the first unit to provide GSSR regional training. The MTO team are also VV active, as are the scab lifters, as was.

So what do you do to better that.

Ok come down, intended to promote the positives of RTC's and show them others (NON RNR) the light in the provinces.

I DO NOT wish this to turn into a slagging match but a discussion of highlights.

Can you black cat the above??

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
We held the Only official Jutland 90 celebration on our ship the only one left from Jutland also the second oldest ship afloat to hold a commission. We also exercised our right with a freedom of the city march through the main streets of belfast with a fully armed guard - this might not seem much but remember a few years agowho would have marched anywhere in rig you could have been shot doing this !! Quote me if i'm wrong but we also supplied a few members to your guard for the Edinburgh tattoo so it wasn't soley XXXX.......................and one more thing we officially serve larger measures of gin over here, so some shandy drinkin poofs mightent be able to keep up / handle drinkin pints of it onboard .altho it's a lot cheaper that way :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

our unit has been used by some branches for w/e & regional training alas not GSSR but it's perfect for SPO and boats (we're a ship afloat for God sake)...

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
I have to admit that out of the units i have visited and the people i have seen that the two jock units do seem to have the keenest personel in junior rates, officers and more importantly Senior ratings than most other units i've come across. Couple that with very good facilities at their disposal you have the receipe for success.

The senior rates at those two units seem to make an extra special effort to organise training which is useful. In a lot of cases it doesnt seem to follow the training that the higher echelons think we should be getting but generally common sense is employed and it all makes for successful weekends.

Calliope are also very good.

The most disapointing thing is that most of the senior rates at my RTC show absolutley no interest at all. Come to think of it, the same could be said for other ranks/rates.

Take a look at the attendance list for the midlands training weekend coming up and you'll see exactly what i mean. The unit with the least attendees is the parent unit of the tender unit organising it.

Thanks for the support guys!!!

noemis

Lantern Swinger
trehorn2 said:
I have to admit that out of the units i have visited and the people i have seen that the two jock units do seem to have the keenest personel in junior rates, officers and more importantly Senior ratings than most other units i've come across. Couple that with very good facilities at their disposal you have the receipe for success.

The senior rates at those two units seem to make an extra special effort to organise training which is useful. In a lot of cases it doesnt seem to follow the training that the higher echelons think we should be getting but generally common sense is employed and it all makes for successful weekends.

The most disapointing thing is that most of the senior rates at my RTC show absolutley no interest at all. Come to think of it, the same could be said for other ranks/rates.

Take a look at the attendance list for the midlands training weekend coming up and you'll see exactly what i mean. The unit with the least attendees is the parent unit of the tender unit organising it.

Would have been there, but I work weekends! If you could plan them around my days off.....

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
noemis said:
trehorn2 said:

Would have been there, but I work weekends! If you could plan them around my days off.....

Will do matey. Note to self, always ensure noemis has sold enough motors during the week so he doesn't have to turn to at the weekend.

You have to admit mate, its bloody bad form. six people, SIX!!!! Thats all ranks and rates. How sh*te does that look!

noemis

Lantern Swinger
trehorn2 said:
noemis said:
trehorn2 said:

Will do matey. Note to self, always ensure noemis has sold enough motors during the week so he doesn't have to turn to at the weekend.

You have to admit mate, its bloody bad form. six people, SIX!!!! Thats all ranks and rates. How sh*te does that look!

Cheers mate, and shite it is!!

Only struck home the other day whilst on my first aid course, it was the death of the medics branch that killed off the unit, so many people disappeared overnight!

froggit

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for your few kind words (mines a Gin).
So I assume that as very few out there thing good of their unit, that them Jocks (Eastern branch) is the best then
Unless u know differently
??????????????

navalgazer

Midshipman
Shame the WUA scores don't reflect this Scottish superiority. I believe the Free Scouse Navy to be still top of the tree in that regard. Please forgive me if I am wrong.

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
I honestly don't know how the scousers are top of the tree.

Everthing i hear about them is not particularly complimentary.

Not stereotypical cars on bricks stuff but general organisation. Again, no first hand experience as such, just the usual viscious rumours (i know, i should know better).

Apparently, when a commodore visited you guys only managed to muster about 25 junior rates?

Shakey

War Hero
I've been a member of three reserve units. Each one has its merits and shortfalls. I can't be arsed with joining in this slanging match.

froggit

Lantern Swinger
Buster CORRECT you and shakey have hit the nail on the head we all drip me more than most but every so often we have to bring out the good or we will look like a bunch of winging twats.
now whats good in your unit?

In support of EAGLET, i accompanied the Commodore on his last visit. There were far more than 25 ratings, it was very well attended and it is a very switched on unit. with a good CO and excellent Senior Rates. One of the top three in my book.
nnnn
vzczc

Captain_Jacks

Lantern Swinger
i think we should all be proud of all our units.

each has strength not in the unit but the people. We are what make the RNR and glad to see so many people happy to give out the positive vibe about their unit and the RNR in general :cool:

lets hope that we all feel the same

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Captain_Jacks said:
i think we should all be proud of all our units.

each has strength not in the unit but the people. We are what make the RNR and glad to see so many people happy to give out the positive vibe about their unit and the RNR in general :cool:

lets hope that we all feel the same

Hear, hear!

I've been at several different units in my RNR career; 3 incarnations of Forward, Sussex, King Alfred, President and Flying Fox. Each unit is different and has its own character, and each unit has its own particular strengths - to indulge in playground games of X is better than Y is pointless and doesn't exactly project the professional image we'd like.

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
I retract the comment regarding Eaglet, i heard it second hand from an obviously misinfomed collegue.

In response, i couldn't be prouder of my unit. The people there work their guts out to organise things and make sure thing happen when, where and how they are supposed to. Not having any perminant staff does require a lot more input from the junior, and in some cases very junior ratings.

We've had people recruiting for days without payment, people offering to pay for their own transport to and from training. The effort made is outstanding.

If everyone thinks as highly about their unit as i/we do about ours then the RNR as a whole is a very fortunate organisation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D JPA wots it all about???? Diamond Lil's 8
MoD_RSS Being a Reservist is the best of both worlds MoD News 0
J Best roles for overseas opportunities. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Medical questionnaire, best practice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS New £3.3 million fund to give babies from deprived areas or BAME backgrounds the best start in life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches Health and Care Visa to ensure UK health and care services have access to the best global talent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reforming UN peacekeeping to best respond to global challenges MoD News 0
NavyStuff2020 Post Removed (As best as possible) Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS A ceasefire and cooperation with the UN political process is the best defense against the devastating effects of Covid-19 in Yemen. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How ONS changed workplace culture to get the best out of cloud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DBS Digital win Best Use of Customer Insight Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Best of British on display at the Day of Diplomats, Turkmenistan MoD News 0
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist Category - Sub Lieutenant Imogen Napper Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist - Winner - Lieutenant Commander Tracy MacSephney Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
MoD_RSS Awards open to recognise best practice in making regulation work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Boost for UK science with unlimited visa offer to world's brightest and best MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Treorchy crowned "UK's best" in the Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Microchipping your pet is the best New Year’s resolution you could make MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A greener Christmas is the best present for the environment. MoD News 0
N best type of exercise for injured person Health & Fitness 12
slim Electric Cars Anyone Own One? Which is the best type to Buy? Current Affairs 21
O Post 16 and the best pathway Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS DASA seeks best Scottish innovators at Highlands roadshow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Competition launches to find best quality early years apps MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA launches consultation on how to best engage patients and the public MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need national debate on rare diseases to offer the best possible care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HMA Simon Collis send his best wishes in the occasion of Eid Al Fitr MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: KTP Best of the Best 2019 winners announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Joint statement on the UK-U.S. marine technology SME best practice exchange MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: Offender to Entrepreneur Sharing best practice from the USA in enabling individuals to develop a crime free future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Glasgow medical firm showcases the best of UK life sciences sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Intellectual Property Minister speaks of the importance of ensuring UK IP remains some of the best in the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM celebrates best of Wales at St David's Day reception MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Taking on the best: Ministry of Defence Police show sporting prowess MoD News 0
C Best time to arrive at FAT's? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Whitehall loses one of its best and brightest - Charles Farr MoD News 0
J Best ships to deploy on Joining the Royal Navy 12
MoD_RSS News story: London seminar: Offender to Entrepreneur Sharing best practice from the USA in enabling individuals to develop a crime free future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Making the best use of small contractors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Making science work, together: how can we build the best possible future for science, research and innovation in the UK? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: British Bike exports soar as the UK's best head for Manchester MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World-leading projects in UK aerospace: funding for best ideas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Matt Hancock: NHS needs to widen search for best leaders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GLD named one of UK’s Best Employers for Race MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Crickhowell High Street crowned "UK's best" in Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Nucleus named Scotland’s Best Building 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New boost to showcase ‘best of British’ creativity abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New ROI tool shows best ways to prevent cardiovascular disease MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Waddington to operate Protector, with best of British air power on show at Air Tattoo MoD News 0
H Best shoe polish for HMS Raliegh Joining the Royal Navy 24