WO's and swords??

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by avoiding_action, Apr 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the current regulations with regards to the above?

Probably should have paid more attention on my WOSC during sword drill!

I know we have a different sword (black handle etc) but when may one be carried?

Off to a matelot wedding and don't want to be shown up by all the grunters who will be carrying theirs if I can too!

Can just about remember the 'flicky, catchy, swingy when marching off!
  2. Why take a sword, thought us damn ratings had cutlasses anyways. In the end something that can go easily missing at wedding or nicked from your car. Dont want to be keeping up with the joneses with the occifers. Anyway when asked why you havent got a sword, just give them the dit about why a grunters have to carry theirs.
  3. Are you a WO Joss? I thought it was only WOMAAs that were the only ratings permitted to carry a sword. Standing by to be corrected.
  4. I too thought that only MAAs were the only persons to carry a sword on the lower deck? ( yes i know we have warrant officers now)
  5. I will have to consult an up to date 'cement head' back at work then. But yes, WO's are now entitled to carry a sword for certain events. Hence the sword drill at WOSC. Just need to clarify when.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be honest, it sounds like a bit of a hindrance, especially considering their financial worth. I believe the one impressive thing, if you are taking it, is to slice the top off a bottle of Champers for the bride & groom at the reception. A tricky act- top tip on that one is to practice at someone else's wedding where no-one knows who you are- just appear as an authoritarian on the subject and check your exit routes first. Local Holiday Inn on a Saturday about 4.00pm would be a viable practice venue.
  7. Swords are carried on parade divisions etc i think you will find that they are officers on PARADE ETC ETC :)
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, had a drink have we?
  9. For the drill check BR 1834, I too thought the WO Joss was the only one allowed to carry a sword.
  10. bloody hell, GI, taken you a while to make your first post. nice to hear from you at last. welcome.
  11. Perhaps hes got a sword and has been polishing it?
  12. Found the BR and it is for ceremonial and other suitable occasions. Same as the 'grown ups'. I wonder is ours are bigger!

No doubt we'll end up comparing 'hilts' after a few to many.

Will the ladies prefer a black one????
  13. Just don't lend your sword to someone else for a wedding and have it come back WITH A CHIPPED BLADE!!!!! :(
  14. Do WO2s carry swords in the Royal Navy?
  15. There's a clue in the name....
  16. So all WO1 and WO2s carry swords?
  17. Not as a matter of course, they're awkward and of limited use in the modern maritime battlespace.
  18. Ah - yes at sea these days, but much better than a bayonet in the wilds of Helmand I suspect! If you know how to use it. Which I do, having fenced in the World Cup once upon a distant memory....hmmm...maybe I should take a sword with me! :D

Trivia for the day - let's see how long it takes anyone to answer this (I'm guessing well under 5 minutes!), but when did the RN last board a ship using cutlasses? A bonus point for why (2 answers)...
  19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not officially, but when they stopped being called Charge Chief some had them surgically attached to their shoulders... :twisted:
  20. The 1940 s, A German vessel, they captured, I think in the Med .