Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

worst run ashore

Greenie said:
harryaitch said:
Gan in the Indian ocean.Nothing but crabs and sand.Drunk the place dry in an hour.!

Did a flight refuelling stop there ---yes---crabs and crabfats :lol: :lol:

Hot and fcuk all else --

In the early sixties they had a RN Guardship stationed at Gan together with a unmanned RFA Tanker as a fueling hulk. We spent six weeks in 1963 on station. (Do we have to say deployment now). Very cheap booz, swimming, sailing and fishing. Use to take the crabs to sea once a week fire the guns etc. Trips on Shackle-Bombers were always on offer.

Nutty

Nutty said:
Greenie said:
harryaitch said:
Gan in the Indian ocean.Nothing but crabs and sand.Drunk the place dry in an hour.!

Did a flight refuelling stop there ---yes---crabs and crabfats lol lol

Hot and fcuk all else --

In the early sixties they had a RN Guardship stationed at Gan together with a unmanned RFA Tanker as a fueling hulk. We spent six weeks in 1963 on station. (Do we have to say deployment now). Very cheap booz, swimming, sailing and fishing. Use to take the crabs to sea once a week fire the guns etc. Trips on Shackle-Bombers were always on offer.

Nutty
Best runs ashore were Brest Laurient and Bordeaux. Had a ball got alot of uphomers plenty of TLC.
Oh forgot to tell you I was on RN boats (submarines) doing my penance as I was an Aussie in the RN waiting to go home and I found the frogs loved us

Submatelot,i thought this was about worst runs ashore,not best, and having been to brest,tho not my worst, comes a close second,perhaps its an aussie thing eh?

Lingyai said:
NozzyNozzer said:
I am stunned, how the hell did you come across that nugget of information...... :?:

The Saudi "fags" are tasty - though of course this means different things to different people. An earlier generation of Ganges matelots had to eat fags (cigarettes) were they caught smoking :( , whereas in the US eating fags would be cannabalism (equivalent to us eating our gay population) 8O .

So there it is: the frogs no longer have an excuse not to go to Iraq, except the fear that they themselves might be baked in butter and garlic... and eaten :| Here is a pic of frogs (species: Rana legionnaire) in chocolate custard
French_foreign_legion_during_an_riverine_training_with_classic_scuba_diving_uniform.jpg

Runs ashore... Well looking ashore from several metres aloft: somewhere in the Arctic (no idea where). Ice, snow, more snow, a bitterly cold wind and not a polar bear in sight. I'd have settled for a matelot in white ducks crawling on the ice and growling - with an out of focus camera lens I'm sure I could have convinced people back home that it WAS a polar bear :wink: They didn't even have a NAAFI! Most inconsiderate! Very beautiful though.

submatelot said:
Nutty said:
Greenie said:
harryaitch said:

Did a flight refuelling stop there ---yes---crabs and crabfats lol lol

Hot and fcuk all else --

Nutty
Best runs ashore were Brest Laurient and Bordeaux. Had a ball got alot of uphomers plenty of TLC.
Oh forgot to tell you I was on RN boats (submarines) doing my penance as I was an Aussie in the RN waiting to go home and I found the frogs loved us

As an Aussie in the RN you obviously didn't stay long enough on RN boats
to see any other runs for comparison good ,bad, brilliant or the pits.

As for Oz runs ashore --Darwin is the pits .

Accra in Ghana, still managed to get faced but every time you opened a pcket of fags you ended up feeling like Bromhead at rorkes drift, you were instantly surrounded by 20 +natives on the beg.
Ended up in an arm wrestling competition with the police chief who looked like Mugabe who invited me to his place to "eat eggs"??????? Declined !
Also, the worst big eats in the whole universe, hollowed out stale french stick loaf with partly cooked runny eggs......

Rome was the worst Run Ashore for me. I was in Lcoy 42cdo and had just finished the worst NATO 3 week excercise ever. I even managed to catch Scabies off of this stinking pile of crap Spanish troop ship.....which was nice, (had to do mountain training at Faslane scratching and itching for England).

Anyway we ended up staying the night in this tank museam (part of the local Italian garrison) and when we went ashore it was in some crappy little area of Rome and none of us could find a Bar or even a cafe that sold beer. Most miserable night out I ever had.

GREENIE Darwin isnt that bad all you need is a vino collapso (cask wine) and a good tree to sit under and you would have had all the friends in Darwin with you.
When I was on Truncheon Lisbon was the pits (was on stoppage) so I didnt get ashore (wink wink)

Hi,

I have to join in on this one, in no particular order:

Brest (F***king riot)

Taranto (F***king stoned us from a bridge as we entered the harbour)

Naples and Catania, never had a good run in Italy

Hudeida, (spelling maybe dodgy) spent 3 weeks alongside surveying what a sh1thole. No beer no women nothing except queer Arabs with big knives and guns walking round holding hands. Thanks God for the visiting merchant Ships at least they provided some entertainment.

I had a very good run ashore in Djibouti, got in with some Brit legionaires and had a cracking run. :oops:

submatelot said:
GREENIE Darwin isnt that bad all you need is a vino collapso (cask wine) and a good tree to sit under and you would have had all the friends in Darwin with you.
When I was on Truncheon Lisbon was the pits (was on stoppage) so I didnt get ashore (wink wink)

Oi Dink Doo Person

I thought you were the big geezer in the corner of the Texas Bar with the lip lock on the ugly fat bird. I must have been pissed again.

Nutty

Latest Threads