Worst Naval Film

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Good_CO, Oct 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just put a copy of U571 on EBay (stopping pushing at the back!).

While it's not SO bad except for the historic 'licence', it made me wonder what the very worst, utter load of balls naval film out there is, perferably with a great quote.

The best and most accurate portayal of professional naval personel is of course Top Gun and needs no further debate. In fact if anyone denies that I may be forced to delete their posts :)
  2. 633 squadron! arf arf
  3. Naval film????? :dwarf:
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Probably "Carry on Admiral" which wasn't a "carry on" film at all!
  5. that Norman wisdom one when he's a matelot.
  6. Pearl Harbour (2001) hands down....Afffflllaaaackk can't aaaaacccctttttt

President Franklin D. Roosevelt: "I like sub commanders. They have no time for bullshit, and neither do I."

But of course I like the quote... :biggrin:

Edit: I would have picked Top Gun, but due to censorship reasons,and I wanna still be able to post, decided not too... :hockey:
  7. I was thinking Norman Wisdom too. The Bulldog Breed. Nice view of Portland Harbour in the opening minutes, though, and the sound of a real warship siren! You know, the "whoop, whoop" one.
  8. I recall some years ago being told that ships had a "whoop, whoop" siren specifically and only to go "whoop, whoop". True dit?
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

That Clint Eastwood film where he plays "Gunney hardcnut" or something, I think it was about the "invasion" of Grenada. Now that was truely pants....oh, the films pretty shite as well.

It's nearly a naval film.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have to say that one with 'Maverick' & 'Goose' was blummin' awful.

Everyone knows it's the Stokers that really fly the planes.

Can't remember the title of the movie.

Signed: IceMan
  11. My vote has to go to 'Petticoat Pirates' with Charlie Drake as the only man (3 badge AB) on a ship that has been taken over by WRNS who are protesting at not being allowed to go to sea. They hijack a warship and take it out on NATO exercises. Filmed in the 70s I think (maybe 60s) it has little to recommend it apart from the archetypal blue stripe 2/Os who are a bit gorgeous.
  12. Carry on Cruising (1962) - bit to realistic at times!
  13. Well sort of , when that crabfat pilot crashed into that big hill , we used to shout "Stand clear of the mounting"

:thumright: :thumright:
  14. otta go with either behind enemy lines or down periscope i know its meant to be funny buts its total poo
  15. yep agree- behind enemy lines- or navy seals arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  16. There are lots of crap navy film but i think the best non brit quote has to be john wayne in the sands of iwa jima when the ngs starts and he tells the wobbly sprog booty "thats just the navy clearing its throat son".
  17. Submerged - Steven Segal - Total shite!
  18. Down Periscope? Wasn't that a documentry?

I can't remember the film but hows this for a pisser of a last weekend alongside?
    Noel Coward is the skipper, grants leave before they all go to war. All (standfast duty-watch) get to go home, but the skipper takes his steward with him. Skipper and wifey have a last picnic together on top of some white cliffs. The trusty hoover-pilot is there looking distinctly pissed of. Can't blame him to be honest.
  19. onI believe you are referring to "In Which We Serve" in which case it's a classsic.

"Here ends the story of a ship, but there will always be other ships; we are an island race, through all our centuries the sea has ruled our destiny. There will always be other ships and men to sail in them. It is these men, in peace or war, to whom we owe so much. Above all victories, beyond all loss, in spite of changing values and a changing world they give to us, their countrymen, eternal and indominitable pride"

Now that's a great quote!
  20. That's the one, like you say, good quote.