Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Worst boat

The_Chief_Wizzum said:
I've said this on another thread, but worth asking again. All you guys who were on Revenge, do you still drop your trollies to tuck you shirt in? All the blokes I have ever known who were on Revenge did that.
What are you on about?

hello chief _wizzum you must have met up with all the arrisholes who were on revenge when I was on there. Most of those fcuckeros tucked ther jumpers in their trolleys as well.There was fcuck all wrong with the boat.... It never was down to the boat or any boat for that matter. It's the crew always that determines if a boats a good un or not. best boat I ever had was a crabby old broken thing but the crew was the best from the old man to baby chef.Even when at deep diving test pressure of 250ft with oggin sloshin around the control room from an overflowing snort mast well, we were still all relaxed knowing the skipper knew the old lady better than he knew his own bellend...

UP SPIRITS.........SPLICEEERS!!!!!!!!!

Liked all my boats, (Opossum, Sealion, Oberon, Onyx, Opossum even the two skimmers I was on) hated inboard time esp SCTT Faslane! (full of useless nuke puke Officers and SRs who hadn't a clue to real ops)

Best boat i had was FOSM ,s launch in Dolphin only submariner on it blue card jollies round pompey harber,walk to the front of tot que because we might be called away suddenly but never was up the line every weekend only lasted 3 months though

Superb...that hunk of rusting filth nearly cost me my job and my sanity.

It had a self serving vibe about it and everybody was of the opinion that they were the most important member of the ship's company.

That opinion is flawed however as 90% of them were good guys, it just seemed to be the constant go's and no-go's took it's toll on the morale of everybody and this then got forwarded on to everybody else. Mind you, some of the senior rates liked to prove they were senior, if you know what I mean, and threw there substantial bulk around...usually at the juniors. Why? because they could. A certain few seemed to be of the opinion 'why help when i can just screw you over?'

Suffice to say I was on boats before and after Super B and found nothing wrong with either of them and actually (keep this under your hat) enjoyed some of my time on there, every cloud eh?

After Francis Ponsonby (37th in line to the Throne by the way) came a real jerk by the name of Lt Cdr T.H. Green. He was XO on Reso (S) from about 1969 to 1972. He had a most unfortunate personality and had a permanent scowl on his face and had cold, cruel blue eyes. He treated all with the utmost disdain. He had been the CO of Rorqual and had made life unhappy for everyone including his infamous refusal to land in South Africa after a serious Lub Oil Separator accident causing injury.
Came across him (by accident) in civvie street some 6 years later, and he was still the same jerk with a serious chip on his shoulder. I couldn't see, even all these years later, that he could be considered an asset to the RN or submarines. There were some officers you respected. Green wasn't one of them. I never had a "run in" with him. I kept well clear.
All the other officers (Edwards, Ferguson, Struthers etc) and crew (Breakspeare, Grocer Elrick etc) were mostly OK. :)

Harry.
Merimbula NSW

janner said:
I had three DE A boats, they all leaked, Artemis was the worst and proved it by sinking just after I came off her for demob.

Who remembers the joys of pooping on an A boat, no Elephants foot rigged just a full bore entry down the Conning Tower hatch, diesels going full bore and the vacuum trying to pull your eardrums out.

I brought the Amphion home from Singapore, exercising with the Yanks off Panama they hit us with a practise Asroc, that was the last time she dived as the foreplanes gave up the ghost and had to be secured by a wire strop to stop them flapping around. We already had 4 x 4 lengths of timber from the deckhead to the cylinder heads on the donks because the cylinder head bolts had started sheering off.

On the Alaric off of San Juan, one of the Props fell off and they had to fly another one out from Canada to replace it.

P & O Boats were drier, but to be fair a lot younger than the A's when I joined them.

Ah! the joys of being a Submariner in the '60's

Now we know you have mis-spelt your name it should be "JONAHER"

NUtty

thermopylea said:
Best boat i had was FOSM ,s launch in Dolphin only submariner on it blue card jollies round pompey harber,walk to the front of tot que because we might be called away suddenly but never was up the line every weekend only lasted 3 months though

Going on that theme I was FOSM's gardner for a month about 1968. Blue Card, Dinner at house, wash car and weed path or cut the grass, mis-musters for tot. Drove to house and back each day in my Anglia, dress No.8ts. and was paid milage. It only lasted until they got a new civvie proper gardner.

Life was tough how many times can you wash a car or cut grass. Had to give myself a make and mend most days to fill up the hours.

Nutty

try keeping look out on a stretch T with the low bridge in a force nine you had to shut the upper lid to stop the boat from filling up and raise the snort mast the look out had to keep an eye out astern to warn the oow any gothers comming up astern and hold your breath as the bridge filled up with oggin we should have got divers pay as well as boats pay

Only having had the 1 boat - Conqueror - can't make much of a comment about it being bad or good. Had Dicky Heaslip as our skipper and Mr Rusty (Richard Sharpe) as the No1. Seemed happy to me, but then again I'd just left Dolphin so not much experience. Did enjoy seeing some of the old faces on the 1st Conqeror reunion at the Victory Services Club in 'smoke' - had lost a few crew members though.

Would be nice to have another reunion and see who turns up, first crew and also the Falklands crew. Interesting chats no doubt.

Your 'Mr Rusty' was a Mid with me - went on (after retiring as a Captain) to become the editor of Jane's Fighting Ships.

Seaweed said:
Your 'Mr Rusty' was a Mid with me - went on (after retiring as a Captain) to become the editor of Jane's Fighting Ships.

Mr Rusty - what a gent and operator. Only bloke I know to put a stop trim on a repeat VALIANT - unless someone knows different ? Brilliant boat and brilliant crew. The VSC reunion was great (I was working at MoD at the time), sad to hear of the shipmates we'd lost, good lads all - RIP shipmates.

Latest Threads