Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Worst boat

I went from diesel boats to mechs course (MEACC) to a Vboat. The Coxn had his shirt nicked day 2 of patrol I think it was so Skipper brought S/M to diving stations,locker searchs,thimble hunt it was a nightmare! However for all that 80% of crew were bomber ratings thro and thro it was still a good boat.
It took me a week of sleeping on board in No8s before I cracked and went SOFTI in my rack just did not seem right getting undresssed for bed! And as for the drinking,it only happened when at sea on Vboats but once I got the hang of it,it was ok.

I have been lucky all the O boats I served on were good boats,the lads were all good un's, however I could name a few officers who tried to make life unbearable some succeeded but most disappeared never to be seen again! One notable numbty was Lt Cdr P H*gg*ns how he ever passed the perisher is beyond me, he was inconsistent scared of the jimmy (we all were!) and needless to say after an little incident in Faslane both the skipper, jimmy and the grocer were fired of the boat to be replaced by one of the best skippers I had the pleasure of serving with on Mickey G*lb*rt plus we got a good jimmy and grocer!

scouse_B said:
I have been lucky all the O boats I served on were good boats,the lads were all good un's, however I could name a few officers who tried to make life unbearable some succeeded but most disappeared never to be seen again! One notable numbty was Lt Cdr P H*gg*ns how he ever passed the perisher is beyond me, he was inconsistent scared of the jimmy (we all were!) and needless to say after an little incident in Faslane both the skipper, jimmy and the grocer were fired of the boat to be replaced by one of the best skippers I had the pleasure of serving with on Mickey G*lb*rt plus we got a good jimmy and grocer!

Hmmm, losing Skipper, Jimmy and Grocer in a oner is going some.

best boats 1 crabby old super T. falling to bits but what a fantastic crew,1 A boat shit hot crew again,boat was a bit bent and broke sometimes but that didn't matter. 1 O boat brilliant crew nice boat no brokes. first reso class bomber brilliant crew beautiful boat, she was like a floating version of the hilton hotel to us. second bomber S H I T E crew,bunch of barstewards,winkers,arrisholes etc. worst two years of my earthly existence.REVENGE (P) AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGH.
2Valiant class ladies with superb crews.1 Swiftsure class beauty ace crew shite boat. Same valiant class again, brilliant boat(krunched a Kresta once) best crew ever.......Sorry the thread was worst boat ever and I've gone all dewy eyed remembering all the good ones instead,silly old cnut.

REVENGE (p) SHITE, CRAP,SEA GOING HELL,SHIT CREW SHIT BOAT WORST EVER BASTARDS,BALLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UP SPIRITS................SPLICEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!!!! :pukel:

Worst boat-Trenchant 90-91
Best boat-Trenchant 90-91
Only boat-Trenchant 90-91 qualified Pt3 SDSR then PMU'd with claustrophobia-2 years training wasted, still had 2 trips to Gib and one states run- more than some bomber queens got in 22years lol

Loved the money, professionalism and cameradery but couldn't hack the environment long term-proud to wear the dolphins when i went back skimmer for rest of my career

dingerbell said:
best boats 1 crabby old super T. falling to bits but what a fantastic crew,1 A boat shit hot crew again,boat was a bit bent and broke sometimes but that didn't matter. 1 O boat brilliant crew nice boat no brokes. first reso class bomber brilliant crew beautiful boat, she was like a floating version of the hilton hotel to us. second bomber S H I T E crew,bunch of barstewards,winkers,arrisholes etc. worst two years of my earthly existence.REVENGE (P) AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGH.
2Valiant class ladies with superb crews.1 Swiftsure class beauty ace crew shite boat. Same valiant class again, brilliant boat(krunched a Kresta once) best crew ever.......Sorry the thread was worst boat ever and I've gone all dewy eyed remembering all the good ones instead,silly old cnut.

REVENGE (p) SHITE, CRAP,SEA GOING HELL,SHIT CREW SHIT BOAT WORST EVER BASTARDS,BALLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UP SPIRITS................SPLICEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!!!! :pukel:

I am with Dinger my old ship mate Truncheon stretched super T old and crabby but two great Captains, Harry Belton and Ian Ross, crew old school and good fun. So many runs ashore at ports any place between Bayonne Helsinki, two transits of the Kiel Canal, Derry and Belfast before the Troubles kicked off. We pulled into Guzz on transit from Pompey to Faslane to replace the sonar dome 1100 on a Sunday. How many modern captains would give leave 1200 to 1430 when we were sailing at 1600? Ian Ross did, only three adrift and they beat us to Faslane going by train and handing themselves in on the Monday.

Appy Daze

Worst boat never had one, shit crew never served with one. Shit Officers or Coxswains all had pier head jumps from Spare Crew, all took it out on the boats crew for upsetting their quiet lives.

Fank Feck I was only inboard in Dolphin or Neptune for courses never Spare Crew or Ships Company. Best job at the end of a course FOSM's gardener at his residence. What did I know about gardening, nothing but I had a car to get there each morning and get back each afternoon for Tot mis-musters.

Nutty

Up Spirits stand fast the 'Oly Ghost, Dingerbell owes me gulpers.

Nutty said:
It was a kettle, true the first kettle since we sunk just about all the K Boats at the Battle of May Island, but still a kettle so who would want to go on her? and if so Why?

Nutty
Better late than never. I suppose Dreadnought was good cos she was a first and also unique, being American. I enjoyed most of the time on her, except refit/maint. periods. Spent a lot of time in Gib in the 70's.
Just reading the book about the loss of HMS/M Affray.
geoff(ers) :nemo:

BusterQuin said:
Only boat-Trenchant 90-91 qualified Pt3 SDSR then PMU'd with claustrophobia-2 years training wasted, still had 2 trips to Gib and one states run- more than some bomber queens got in 22years lol

Loved the money, professionalism and cameradery but couldn't hack the environment long term-proud to wear the dolphins when i went back skimmer for rest of my career

Nose bleeds? helo`d and mfv`d off?, remember it, how you doin now? Of all the cases of "Claustophobia" it was one of only two genuine I knew of. Shame, you seemed like a good bloke

Topstop said:
BusterQuin said:

Nose bleeds? helo`d and mfv`d off?, remember it, how you doin now? Of all the cases of "Claustophobia" it was one of only two genuine I knew of. Shame, you seemed like a good bloke

Wrong bloke shippers I left PMU at the end of the DED as a POMEA, the MEO (Andy Matthews) kept me on until the boat sailed so I could keep shutdown watches. Was PMU'd after a session with the shrink to prove i wasn't swinging the lead.
Remember mustering on the jetty with 5th watch then joining HMS Active down frigate alley

BusterQuin said:
Topstop said:
BusterQuin said:

Wrong bloke shippers I left PMU at the end of the DED as a POMEA, the MEO (Andy Matthews) kept me on until the boat sailed so I could keep shutdown watches. Was PMU'd after a session with the shrink to prove i wasn't swinging the lead.
Remember mustering on the jetty with 5th watch then joining HMS Active down frigate alley

Sorry. The guy I remember was taken off twice with very bad nose bleeds and when he got inboard the docs couldnt find anything wrong with him.They were going to charge him with self inflicted injuries, thought he d poked things up his nose to start the bleed. Then he had one when the boat was along side and the Doc took his blood pressure . It was off the scale.

Looks like Revenge crops up a few times in this tread. Seems like I wasn't the only fecker to think it was crap. Here's hoping the Fife sh*te hawks carry on their good work.

SELJUK said:
...In those days the way the TG's were tripped was to wind on the revs with the engine clutched out...as the dowty indicator said it was...only it was still clutched in and after winding on forty odd revs it was touch and go for a while if we'd manage to drag Sovereign off the sea wall or not......Oh how we laughed....afterwards!

Some of your dit does not stand up to close scrutiny.

Checking that the TG overspeed trip works correctly (still a maintenance item) will have absolutely no effect on the MEs.

Checking the ME overspeed trips, if done correctly, will not turn the shaft. If, by some chance, the shaft should start to turn, then it should be noticed by at least three different people, the EOOW in Manoeuvering, the NCOW on the plates, (both of whom will be able to see a shaft rotation indication meter) and the person operating the throttles, who should be able to tell by position of the throttle vs engine speed that the engine is driving the shaft and not just spinning freely.

I suggest your binbags lied to you to cover up their failings.

This was quite a while ago mind you.
I do remember though that the inboard scrotes wanted heads. In the end they decided that one of the Chief Tiffs was gonna get it. The CO was keen to keep it in house and asked if he wanted captains punishment. Pony takes advice and says 'no, I want to be court martialed...'cos if I'm going down so is everybody else'.

Strangely everything gets swept under the carpet and left there. AND we never did get Sovereign off that wall!

Then there was the time we did a bit of sea bed sampling with the rudder, our erstwhile enemies never did have reliable charts so we brought back a sample.....yep, sand and gravel! I saw the dent in dry dock and it puzzled the natives no end because they hadn't read any reports in the press of a boat doing bottom bounce trials

I've said this on another thread, but worth asking again. All you guys who were on Revenge, do you still drop your trollies to tuck you shirt in? All the blokes I have ever known who were on Revenge did that.

For me, worst boat was Vanguard Gold crew, absolute nightmare.
Best boat was Valiant '86-90.

Latest Threads