worry about security clearance

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mark33, Sep 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all i have been having fanny attacks over the last few days worrying about security clearance. im currently going through process and just have pjft and sc to do however sc has worried me im 33yrs old so as like most people my age have had a fair amount of credit to my name and when i was younger got into a bit of financial difficulties but just lately ive been reading various things about how the clearance gets vetted and my head is in pieces. I know that honesty is the best way to fill these forms in but how far back will i be expected to have to remember when and where i have had credit all of which is paid now (i hope) also who actually gets vetted under my sc and do i have to sit interviews with someone? If i do happen to fail what happens after that is it a complete bar of entry or will i given opportunity to sort things out? The credit check is the only thing really worrying me as i dont think the criminal side will be a problem mainly because i dont have a criminal record and aint connected to anyone or thing that would cause me problems. Sorry if this seems like a big load of tripe and worrying wont help but any advice and info on the matter would help thanks.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fear not.

Just be 100%honest. If the Defence Vetting Agency (DVA) require more precise details of your finances they will send a Financial Questionnaire via your AFCO - again this isn't necessarily a show-stopper, but you will need to provide specific details of individual outgoings, liabilities & income.
  3. thanks for that currently im unemployed and a few years ago was off work due to an operation and as i was self employed at the time and only paying class 2 NI the smart people at the job centre deem me not to have paid enough money into system even though this is first time i've been out of work so i dont get any income at the moment however my partner has a good job and we actually live on 1 income so i dont actually have aan icome and out going at the moment really but how far back will i have to give addresses and whatever else is it approx 5 years or more?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, 5 years worth of continuous addresses are required for Security Clearance to confirm there are no debts in the same linked names at previous properties.
  5. The forms become very tiresome if you're a student who, in 3 years of university, has lived at 4 different addresses and has a home address on top of that. It made ******'s cramp look like pins and needles.
  6. will i be given a chance to sort all things out if it does come back? also what if something comes up and its something that is nothing to do with myself as a few years ago my parents were victims of a sort of identity theft where money was taken from their accounts and credit was set up in their name probably sounds a little far fetched but it does happen what would be done about that? again i'm sorry if this is a nagging boring subject to some people but i like to know answers.
  7. But then I'd have less to complain about.
  8. Agreed. Also makes it very difficult when you have been away travelling and they decide that this is me "living there". So I had to try and find as many places as possible that we stayed in, normally for one or two nights. I tell you, that was a mission!! I ended up filling both pages with tiny writing for them all :lol:
  9. would a debt relief order be a problem with security clearance ?
  10. Ninja_Stoker

It will certainly need explaining.

The advice again is to simply be honest & ensure you have contacted your creditors & made efforts to resolve anyu issues arising.