Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worried for Raleigh

Cal144

I’m off to Raleigh in a few weeks and just have a few worries. Although I think my fitness is very good, personal admin has never been my strong point. At prnc I thoroughly enjoyed the physical aspect but I was shocking at the things such as making my bed and folding. This is probably because I’m only 16 and i guess you could say I’m used to my mum doing my washing and ironing.
Another reason I have a hard time is because I have a hard time picking things up straight away and am not a very fast learner.
I may not be the most confident with these sort of things but will give 100% regardless.
However since prnc I have been practicing and have improved drastically with my ironing, but I’m still not fully confident with making my bed and folding.
Do you think this will become a problem at Raleigh or is it something people with help me with and I’ll gradually pick up along the way?
Thanks I’m advance.

@Cal144 First of all take stock & give yourself the credit due for having progressed as far as you have already towards a life of adventure which lies ahead for you in the RN.

Worried? Stop!, for "Today is but the tomorrow you worried about yesterday".

With that in mind (although few openly admit it) please be aware that just about everyone arriving at RALEIGH will have some nagging doubts about how they will respond to various aspects of the training regime.

Apprehension and some self-doubt is only natural but remember that your Instructors are there especially to guide and cajole each & every one of you to meet, & ideally exceed, the standards.expected.

You are never alone in the RN & very early on your class will be encouraged by the training staff to mix and develop a healthy team spirit - such that those with certain strengths willingly share them to assist others in overcoming any physical hang-ups or suffering from mental blockages.

Nothing specifically found about Bed Blocks (you'll probably crack that in the first couple of days anyway) but the YouTube tin here says "Get ahead in Royal Navy training by practising these tasks":

(Royal Navy training guides - 7 videos 8,076 views Last updated on Dec 21, 2017)

Change the World by Making Your Bed - by Admiral William McRaven

Whilst accepting that you are not training to become a USN Seal you might find something useful among this chap's inspirational speeches:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Very worried for hms Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
H Worried about security clearance Joining the Royal Navy 5
MorganCUFC Worried about fitness levels Joining the Royal Navy 2
D Want to join, but worried about a prescription and passing medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
T Originally Joining as a WTE but transferred to AET, now i am worried i made the wrong decision. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
B Worried about Fitness for PRNC Health & Fitness 9
B Worried I'm not fit enough for PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
F Medical form worried Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
J Worried already Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S I'm worried about my Recruitment test! What score do I need to be a Weapons Technician? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M I'm very worried about the royal marine psychometric test although I can get through the booklet goo RMR 14
H Worried parent Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Worried about RT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Worried about the recruit test for RFA RFA 79
P North Korea's anti-ship cruise missile: who's worried? Current Affairs 2
Jay Jay 11 Worried Parent Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 124
finknottle Should I be worried? Diamond Lil's 16
J Passed Interview - Worried about colour perception! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
trelawney126 Establishment getting Worried? Diamond Lil's 79
finknottle Should I be worried Diamond Lil's 45
EarlyChop Are you working class and worried about the future? Current Affairs 11
finknottle Is Campbell getting worried. Current Affairs 14
A worried mum Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
S Getting worried about fitness... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 54
M worried now Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Scarface2009 Worried about the Phycremetric Test!!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
K Worried about the running ;( Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 52
R Getting a bit worried now. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
GPZ_pilot 6 weeks to go, and a little bit worried Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
P Newbie worried about test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
CallumAS90 I'm stilling worried, and to no conclusion... Health & Fitness 10
J Ever dipped in then worried WHY Diamond Lil's 12
B For those worried about the Credit Check or the finical Ques Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
AfterSSE Students worried by cows rescued Diamond Lil's 18
shotty13 Worried about maths - flight aptitude tests Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
W Worried about Future of RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
K Worried Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
G getting worried Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Graybags should we be worried ? Current Affairs 8
T Raleigh Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 13
T Raleigh Entry date Joining the Royal Navy 5
P Social media at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B 10 weeks at Raleigh as a reserve Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
T Raleigh Entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
P Raleigh post Joining the Royal Navy 18
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7