Worried already

I got my date for my entry and prnc the other day and was excited but now my mate who was at raleigh is getting discharged tomorrow for dudt because he was back classed 2 week then failed a kit muster again on week 7. I’m not planning on being discharged but I’d quite like to know what’s the rate of success at raleigh? And is it harder than the army / raf ? This is all I want to do but it’s also all he wanted to do n he’s back home tomorrow he was so close to passing out aswell it’s reallt worried me is there any tips on anything at all that will avoid me from being discharged? Thanks

Do your best, listen to your instructors.
Believe it or not, the training staff are not trying to fail anyone but guide people to pass out as young naval ambassadors!!

Just told me he didn’t get discharged for kit it was because he was on a last warning and punched someone in his room and may of broke his nose so I’m slightly more relaxed now coz I no I won’t lose my temper that much I break someone’s nose

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just told me he didn’t get discharged for kit it was because he was on a last warning and punched someone in his room and may of broke his nose so I’m slightly more relaxed now coz I no I won’t lose my temper that much I break someone’s nose
Quite possible, but people who are DUDT tend to be training fails. Someone discharged for fighting is more likely to be discharged under a disciplinary category, such as discharge shore.

Your mate's trousers probably caught fire because he couldn't iron them properly.

Albeit RM rather than RN, there are some useful tips on ironing kit on the RM youtube channel and anyone not bothering to learn to iron properly before joining is making life unnecessarily difficult: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/royal-marines-how-to-prepare-your-uniform-youtube.107215/

Sumo

War Hero
Your mate may or may not be telling you the full story, but that's his problem not yours, don't listen to all the bull he will come out with about how crap rubbish the RN is. It will be part of his coping mechanism for failing, depending on how he was really discharged, will depend on whither he can reapply. He may be saying he is out for fighting, when he just couldn't look after him self.
Advice above good @Ninja_Stoker link will help, if you have never ironed ask your mum, practice, learn to clean and polish shoes, all as important as being fit.
Join look , learn & listen you will be fine and show your mate how easy it is, don't worry and good look.

Last edited:
If that's his new version I would question why he would admit to being discharged for being violent. Hardly a redeeming factor in anyone's character. Not being able to do kit would be my preferred option - which is probably the real reason. I'm with @Sumo on this one.