Worried about the running ;(

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kinko, Sep 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys!

After taking a week off from running I have become really terrible at it, It's become a real struggle. I want to join the navy, but how do you mantain the running when you don't like doing it. I'm back to square 1.

I have a weird attitude about this, I feel as if when I get to HMS Raleigh that I will do fine because I'm being shouted at and being motivated more. Also I wouldn't want to be the guy slacking at the back, coming last. I try and keep a regime.. but I don't progress at all.

I figure all I need to do is do the PJFT before 12:20 before raleigh, nothing more (bare minimum) I'm hoping I could count on the training staff to pull me through.

Please help me and give me your advice, I've tried all the mental techniques but it don't help me.

I know I can do this.. but its really hard.
  2. im exactly the same , but im sure everyone is, running simply is boring i find , but my method is that wen im running i bang my music in my ears and think of all the reasons im joining up. i started out running fine then went through a lull where i couldnt be bothered and as a result times/motivation went down the pan but its just a matter of reminding youself why you joining in the first place and that in its self should be motivation to improve and succeed.

just push yourself and think of how impressed u will be each time you beat a prev time or distance, and just try and enjoy it.
  3. I don't speak as a PTI or other phys expert (hopefully one will be along later), but for what it's worth from someone who's been in the same position:

What is your current running program?

If you're slogging the 1.5 mile time and time again maybe it's lack of variety that's holding you back. Mix in short 1.5 mile runs with longer, slower 3 mile runs.

Maybe add some fartlek into your schedule.

The Runners World website has some good advice for beginner runners, some of which you won't be able to access without a subscription though.

At the risk of stating the obvious, there's no way around it - if you're going to pass Phase One training you're going to have to reach the running standard. You're going to need to show some grit during your time in the RN, so start now and take pride in what you're aiming for.

The hardest part's pulling on your trainers and getting out of the front door :thumright:
  4. As S-L-L says variety and a bit of motivational music is the way to go.
    Try running on different surfaces for a bit of a change ie grass for a change from roads, got any woods nearby? Fast then slow between the trees, also keeps you switched on looking for roots branches etc.
    That sort of thing should reduce the boredom.
    You could try other sports, 5-A-side soccer leagues or Rugby are good, darts and snooker not so much. :thumright:
    Basically anything that works the legs and lungs and builds stamina will see you right.
  5. I didn't train at all before entering the Corps, so here's some tips from the "learn as you go" school of thought:

1. It really, REALLY sucks to be learning how to do it when everyone around you is already innurred (not sure on spelling sorry) to running.
    2. Focusing your mind on something else is a great help (reliving movies or your last bout of sex with the gf, wife, canine, etc).
    3. Did i mention it really sucks? Suck it up and run, its better than hanging out in the rear because you can't hack the first couple of runs
  6. Sadly also true in my case. In my defence I am carrying a hamstring injury to the point that I have booked an MRI as its not responding to physiotherapy.
  7. Well, you have to run the 1.5mile in 11 minutes or so on your second day in Raleigh, so... i'd get training boyo!
  8. Pull yourself together and stop acting like fannies. If you cant force yourself to put your trainers on and run about for 30 minutes 4 times a week then go and find another career because you obviously have'nt got the right minerals.

Harsh but fair. Just get a grip.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You're not alone in believing other people will help you get fit unfortunately. There are far too many arriving at HMS Raleigh who, despite passing the PJFT, appear to have done little or nothing to further advance their physical preparedness- many amazingly arrive less fit than when they initially applied- generally they realise their folly on the train back home as they read their discharge certificate. If you fail to meet the physical standards for entry, you can simply be disharged.

If you follow the eight week Pre-Joining Fitness Programme given to each candidate by their AFCO, then you should meet the minimum requirements.

It's simply a matter of self discipline and the acceptance that if you are discharged for being unfit, every month is costing you over £1084 lost income whilst you try to re-join.

Best of luck- don't sit on your computer Lofty- get running! :thumright:
  10. Most of the advice you have been given here is excellent. As Ninja says in his post. Too many sit on the the train home wondering where it all went wrong. The 8 week training programme is the minimum you need to be doing. You need to get outdoors for your runs, mixing up the distances and speeds of the runs can help. Try to get a friend interested in training with you or join a local running club for a few weeks. Also running whilst listening to music was a great success for me, running can definitely be boring.

Hope it all goes well for you, but prior preparation will help you get through Raleigh, not relying on the training staff to motivate you.

Best of luck

Neil - Supermario

11. What about getting a training partner. I would never go to the gym until I teamed up with my gym buddy.

She is 17 years younger than me, and half as skinny. However still I like her and it helps to have a companion.
  12. I "didn't" do PT before applying for the navy (a sister with county records and training to be a PE teacher put me off lol) but when I applied I realised as a 23 yr old bird who drank and smoked too much, I was going to struggle.
    I did start setting a mile and a half course and running it but also found it boring. What I ended up doing was asking the parents if they'd pay for an early birthday present and they forked out for a 3mth gym membership and some sessions with a personal trainer (not as expensive as it sounds, about £150 5 yr ago), when I'd started picking up the fitness level, the running at home started becoming easier and more enjoyable as I realised I could do it! I was never the fittest in Raliegh but was never on remedials and I was happy with that.
    As for motivation, I will say I didn't find the PT staff particulalry motivational!!!
    Mayeb an idea for you
  13. Any chance of a lend? lol
  14. Well she is newly single and I would of course need to see your credentials before I decide if you are worthy.

No timewasters or gits need apply.
  15. Quite worrying the amount of "oh my god I've got to run a mile and a half" threads appearing here.

Physical fitness is a personal issue, only you can motivate yourself to stay in shape and reap the attendant health benefits.

Believe me, Raleigh will be a struggle for those who cannot comfortably complete a mile and a half within the allotted time.

Some people are better suited to running than others, however, the mile and a half is still a good, though not perfect, indicator of general fitness.

Anyone wishing to embark upon a career in the armed forces needs to understand that physical fitness is a pre-requisite. Yes, us matelot's generally, not always, operate in a sedentary working environment. All the more important to make physical fitness a part of your life beyond Raleigh.

Don't become one of the fat knackers down the mess, take advantage of the opportunities to get involved in sport and phys.

Raleigh may only be several weeks long but you could be in the RN for 20+ years.

My advice:

1. Get fit before you join. Use the "train hard fight easy routine", run faster and further than you will be expected to at Raleigh. Once you get there you will find it a doddle.

2. Try and maintain some form of physical training programme after you leave training.

3. Stop whingeing and ******* get on with it. :walk:
  16. That's a shame as I fall into the "Git" category! :money:
  17. what the others said really, 12:20 is the MINIMUM standard before entry, you should aim to do better as you'll struggle at raleigh if you can't go faster than that! It's very easy to improve your running ability, you just have to run lots, boring or no it has to be done!

Also, there's a pretty intense 'warm up' prior to your week one 1.5 mile run, which I was already half knackered by and I did the 1.5 in 9 mins. I pity the poor ******* who joined expecting 12:20 to be acceptable.
  18. I'm not always quite as forthright as lukep, but have to fully agree with him. It really is quite pathetic that someone wishing to embark on a career in the armed forces is struggling to reach the relatively low standard of fitness required.
  19. Agree 100%. As they say "Shape Up or Ship Out", in this case if you can't "Shape Up" just don't bother even joining. I find it difficult to understand why (releatively young people) cannot achieve what is a relatively low minimum fitness level. FFS I'm past 50 and can do the 1.5m run in 10+ minutes, and that's after 30+ years of serious bodily abuse.
  20. Why does that not surprise me!