Worried about the recruit test for RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njs71

Badgeman
Had my RT today and time is definately the hardest part. Didn't do as well as I expected, didn't answer 4 or 5 and had to guess at about the same cos time was running out. Having said that, reckon I got over 80%, but shame they dont give you your score like the others joining the RN did.
Good to those with their RT coming up.

fingers crossed for you mate.
We're the questions any harder than the test booklet?

When I'm practicing I only just make it in time! Sometimes I have to guess last couple but getting better at it. It's certainly tight doing 30 Q's in the timescale allowed.

I've got the time part nearly cracked, just hope I'm revising for the right sort of Q's.
I'm using psychometric test for dummies.

Last edited:

5oclockhero

Lantern Swinger
The questions are of similar type to the booklet but I'll be honest mate, they start off easy and get a bit harder with the odd easy one thrown back in. The Mechanical section was hard for me, but thats always been my weakness. Don't spend long on a question, move on and then go back to it. Keep eye on time on your watch, there was no clock in the room. It would help if we knew what pass mark we were aiming for, but if it was say 60%, I cant see anyone failing, even on a bad day. Dont panic, you'll be fine.
Psychometric Tests For Dummies is good practice.

Last edited:

Njs71

Badgeman
Cheers mate. Appreciate that answer.

I agree, I wish it was published what score was required for each position.

Njs71

Badgeman
Had my RT today and time is definately the hardest part. Didn't do as well as I expected, didn't answer 4 or 5 and had to guess at about the same cos time was running out. Having said that, reckon I got over 80%, but shame they dont give you your score like the others joining the RN did.
Good luck to those with their RT coming up.

Any news on the outcome of your RT yet?

5oclockhero

Lantern Swinger
Asked Recruitment for feedback. They said they don't give it! Should receive a letter in due course to say if I made the sift or didn't make the pass mark. Sounds ominous.
I think the pass mark is determined by the quality of the applicants in that particular recruitment drive. A score of 80% might be at the low end of scores achieved on one occasion, but high on another. Just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Njs71

Badgeman
The waiting is always the worst part.

I wonder how many applicants they have had for this recruitment drive against positions available!

If its anything like the fire brigade possibly hundreds!

I got through the initial stages for airport fire fighter 4 times, i gave up in the end as the waiting lists became stupidly long!

When they used to do recruitment drives. There were always over a thousand applicants for just a handful of spaces. The last one i applied for had 6 vacancies across Stansted, Gatwick and Heathrow and had over 1500 applications according to the CO at Stansted! Sort of makes it nearly impossible to get in!

I'm hoping the RFA isn't quite so unobtainable!

BigDaddyWills

Midshipman
Alright mate!! I took my RT yesterday, and i have to admit it wasnt as easy as i thought it would be!! I bought a book from waterstones, which really helped me through the maths part!! The good news is i recevied an email, about 2 hours after saying that i passed :) just waiting now for an interview date now...hopfully haha!

Njs71

Badgeman
Alright mate!! I took my RT yesterday, and i have to admit it wasnt as easy as i thought it would be!! I bought a book from waterstones, which really helped me through the maths part!! The good news is i recevied an email, about 2 hours after saying that i passed :) just waiting now for an interview date now...hopfully haha!

Well done on the pass!

What book/ books did you get to help you with test revision?

I have Psychometric tests for dummies book and the "The testing Series" Armed Forces Tests Book that I'm finding....ermm i wouldn't say easy, but very do able in the times as per the RT tests and not in the books.

I assume you are going for RFA and not RN as i know they get told very soon afterwards.

BigDaddyWills

Midshipman
Well done on the pass!

What book/ books did you get to help you with test revision?

I have Psychometric tests for dummies book and the "The testing Series" Armed Forces Tests Book that I'm finding....ermm i wouldn't say easy, but very do able in the times as per the RT tests and not in the books.

I assume you are going for RFA and not RN as i know they get told vry soon afterwards.
Thanks buddy, yeh ive applied for the RFA as an SG2!! I also got the armed forces test book, and studied it for about 2hours a night for two weeks, and still some questions that was in the RT wasnt in the book :-/ it was the maths i was most worried about!! I left school 10 years ago and did it so im sure you will be fine :)

Njs71

Badgeman
I left school 27 years ago!.... And maths was my also my biggest fear for this test.

I,m revising 2 ish hours a night as well and now feel much more confident than i did a few weeks ago.

5oclockhero

Lantern Swinger

Well done on passing. Interesting that you were advised the result but Recruitment were quite specific with me that they dont advise. Was it Pompey Recruitment or the AFCO that emailed you? Maybe its cos I applied for a different branch .. or maybe its cos I didnt score as high as most of the other applicants

BigDaddyWills

Midshipman
Thanks again mate, yeh it was pompey Recruitment who let me know that i passed my test!! There wasnt much detail regarding what score i got, but a pass is a pass i suppose!! I was the only one at my local AFCO in plymouth taking the RT for the RFA at the time so they must of emailed the result stright away!! Im sure you will be fine buddy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.