Worried about the recruit test for RFA

Discussion in 'RFA' started by dave11, Jun 24, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi.

I have just applied for the RFA as a seaman grade 2 (trainee deckhand). All being well I will get to the test phase. Although I am really worried about this. I am 27 and haven't been in education since I was 16. I had a go at the practice questions in the procedures and practice test booklet and I didn't do very well in the numeracy and mechanical comprehension sections. Although I use basic maths in everyday life I'm clearly under par here.
    Can anyone give me any advice or is there a good website to practice these sections of the recruit tests?

thank you

dave

2. I passed exam in Nov 2013. to be honest it is not easy but you should be fine as long as you do plenty practice.

3. Hello Dave. Me and you are in the same boat (pun not intended). Applied for SG2, 27 years of age and not really done much education wise since school. The way that I am revising is to go to a library for at least one hour a day, and practice some questions. Make sure you practice against the clock! If you have some spare time get hold of a note book and just practice a few sums. It helps if you right down any formulas for maths in the note book also. This will help you understand the questions. Read a book,newspaper,crossword puzzle etc etc to help with the verbal stuff. As far as the mechanical comprehension stuff goes Bleeh provided some useful links. I know that it might sound silly but during revising eating healthy and drinking lots of water will help.Get plenty of sleep and do not stress out about it. Get plenty of omega 3 in youre diet......brain food init? Just my two cents.

Best Regards.
    C.Morgan

4. Thanks all for the advice. Im properly jumping the gun a bit here as I've only just applied. But I'd really hate to fail just because I was a little thick. I'll check them links out and start revising just incase I get to that stage.
    Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance ;P

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Perish the very thought.

6. Hi Dave, same situation here mate I was awful at the practice tests, someone on here suggested I buy psychometric tests for dummies.. It's a brilliant book, loads of practice questions and explanations, it's helped me no end and I feel a little less nervous with regards to the RT now.

7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I know a lot of people say don't waste your money on books, use the links provided etc, but that book was great for me to take anywhere and practise as and when. All areas of the test are covered. It really helped me with the mechanical comprehension. Personal choice though. The main forum psychometric test thread, as linked by Bleeh, is definitely a good start for online help.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.

8. That's the badger! It's worth the price, I take it and practice at work as well or even on the bus, although I did miss my stop and end walking 3 miles so not recommended.

9. Ye £6 ain't bad and I can still use the links provided in this forum.
    I hope I get called for the interview stage in sept.

10. I've not even considered interview stage yet, working on getting through the RT first then I'll start panicking about the interview lol

11. exJenny

Use the forum search function for seaman grade 2/sg2 and you'll probably find lots to help you there.

12. Just had the phone call, sitting my RT next Thursday.

13. exJenny

Good luck. Don't get wound up about it, just stay calm.

14. When did you apply? Was it a with held number. Best of luck. Hope you do well

15. Sent my application in online at 8pm last night, quickest response ever lol

16. ExJenny do you know how long it normally takes to get the results of your RT?

17. Did they ring on a withheld number. I have a missed called from a withheld at 18:10 this evening

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.