Worried about Fitness for PRNC

Hi all, just passed my PJFT by the skin of my teeth (12 minutes 8 seconds)

worried that my fitness isn't high enough for PRNC and of course i want to improve this.

Any ideas?

Do more fitness?

Run more. Rest properly. Run again. Rest properly. Run again.

Rinse and repeat until you get faster... and you will get faster if you keep trying.

I had my PRNC this week at Collingwood. Train, train and train. You want to make sure that your in under your target run time by a healthy margin. We had 39 on our intake 7 failed on they’re run. I’m 33 got mine in at 10:37 but looking to get to Raleigh and have that run nailed in under 10:00. Whatever you do don’t stop moving in the gym and don’t fidget. Work on press ups and core strength we even had individuals chundering during the IMF and 4k squad run which I thought was excessive, clearly these were the individuals who did not train for the brief glimpse of what will be experienced and required at Raleigh. Give it 100%.

Did you find it worked? in terms of improving your overall fitness
Very much so. I have been running 2-3 times a week for the last 18 months but the guide did give me the neccessary information to build on my core strength and upper body strength. My expected date for initial training is June 2019 so I’ve still got plenty of time to build on what I have achieved so far. Im
not the strongest of swimmers so this also gives me time to improve on this aspect of my fitness. I can’t wait to start and get started on my career also considering that my training lasts nearly a year and a half. Roll on Raleigh!

Focus on the basic human movements and don't bother with weights.

Build a daily routine which includes press-ups, burpees, squats, planks, leg raises, situps. Aim at increasing the volume by adding 5 reps a week and keep your heart rate up during the session by including jumping jacks and climbers at the start and halfway through. Remember the acronym KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

Example;
Morning:
5 min Plank (Press-up plank > elbow plank > side planks > elbow plank > press up plank)
3x20 Hand-release press-ups [Increase reps by 5 each week]
3x20 Deep squats [Increase reps by 5 each week]

Evening:
3 Sets of:
75 Jumping Jacks
25 Burpees
50 Leg Raises
75 Climbers
50 Sit-ups
25 Burpees

.............................................................................................................................................................

Run 3 times a week with a rest day in between.

Run 1: 2.4km and keep adding 500m each week. The aim is to run the first 2.4km of the session in your "fast-time" and then back to endurance speed for the rest. Get that 2.4km time below 10 minutes.

Run 2: Run 2.4km to a decent straight section of road. 4x100m Sprints. 3x200m Sprints. 2x400m Sprints. Jog home.

Run 3: Endurance run. Start at what ever your longest distance run is and keep adding 1km each week. Sprint up any hills and sprint the last 400m to expel any left over energy. Your brain gives up before your body does so just keep going.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Cannot stress enough the importance of dynamic/static stretches before/after exercising.

Take Sunday off.