World War Service medals - challenging decision to not issue

Jewellery

I am researching the Naval History of my late Uncle who served in World War 2. I obtained a copy of his available service records a couple of years ago.

He was not awarded his medals because he had 2 short periods of AWOL at the tail end of the war, due, I think, to the "facts" 1) His mother had died during this period 2) He was suffering from PTSD (according to the memories of my late mother - his sister).

I wrote a letter in May 2021 to the RN (where I obtained the records from), asking about re-instating the medal awards in light of recent changing attitudes to PTSD. I asked about how I could obtain more details about the charges against him.

To date, I have not had a reply. Is the Royal Navy still responsible for Naval service personnel records from WW2? Is it worth re-sending the letter, and do you think I will get a reply?

Any advice on how I should approach this issue will be gratefully received.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I am researching the Naval History of my late Uncle who served in World War 2. I obtained a copy of his available service records a couple of years ago.

He was not awarded his medals because he had 2 short periods of AWOL at the tail end of the war, due, I think, to the "facts" 1) His mother had died during this period 2) He was suffering from PTSD (according to the memories of my late mother - his sister).

I wrote a letter in May 2021 to the RN (where I obtained the records from), asking about re-instating the medal awards in light of recent changing attitudes to PTSD. I asked about how I could obtain more details about the charges against him.

To date, I have not had a reply. Is the Royal Navy still responsible for Naval service personnel records from WW2? Is it worth re-sending the letter, and do you think I will get a reply?

The records office at the MOD are taking forever to reply to queries at the moment. It might be an idea to copy your MP into any correspondence with them.

marigold

Lantern Swinger

If his medals were un-named WW2 medals it will save you a lot of hassle to purchase some from E Bay very cheaply.

Perry

Lantern Swinger
You can buy reproductions and have them engraved, name, rate and official number. Did it for my wife's uncle.

I believe all war records are done with the same form, just sent to different places.

I got my Grandad's (Army) war records for my mum, they took about 10 months to come through. Once she had them she then applied for his medals, they came through in about a month. On reading his records he had transited through Africa and therefore was entitled to the Africa Star (this hadn't been sent), we question it and within a week it was delivered.

We found the whole process pretty straight forward, and apart from the 10 months wait (due to covid and the staff working from home/furloughed) it was all pretty good.

sweetpea

War Hero
@Jewellery,
Unfortunately your uncles medals were forfeited, this would be part of his punishment at the time for being AWOL and despite the RN still holding all service records for WWII, they are not at liberty to change the decisions made at the time for medals withheld. As already stated, WWII medals are not named and numbered so you could buy copies of them to wear or put on display, or you could be true unto yourself and accept that the medals were forfeited.

My own Great grandfathers Army WWI medals were forfeited due to him going AWOL, and after 14 days had elapsed he was recorded as a deserter.
My great grandfather had lost two younger brothers within a day of each other while they were serving in Gallipoli, he also received news of the death of his infant daughter, understandably he must have been quite grief-stricken with the family news. He was Court Martialed but escaped being shot as a deserter, he was stripped of his Cpl badge, fined and given two years extra army service, which he served out overseas, he actually left the army in 1922. No doubt his personal circumstances that lead to him going AWOL were taken into account as there certainly appears to have been a large amount of sympathy extended to him during his sentencing.

Grief, PTSD, and a hundred other reasons account for the thousands of forfeited medals and your uncle and my great grandfather's forfeited medals are amongst them, however, as family we know the truth, we know what lead them to go AWOL in the first place.

I hope the MoD reply to your request, as stated, sadly there's a long wait.
Sending all good wishes,
SP

Jewellery

Thanks for this info. Looks like I will have to accept that the medals will not be issued, but it would be interesting to find out more details of the incidents that lead to the medal forfeiture. Thanks.

Dusty70

War Hero
Drift thread here - my wife was going to buy me the Diamond Jubilee medal as it states all service people,emergency services etc who have served are ENTITLED to one - and I said no

I was awarded the Golden Jubilee by the DoH as I was working in the emergency services at the time

So the 3 medals I wear are GS(NI), Golden Jubilee and LSGC which were AWARDED - so are we , now we are retired and therefore cannot be awarded the Diamond Jubilee, therefore wear it as we are ENTITLED ???