World War I veteran dies aged 108

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by md08, Nov 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of the few remaining WWI veterans, Sydney Maurice Lucas has died aged 108. He attributed his long life to a moderate consumption of alcohol.

Article here.
  2. RIP. A generation passes.
  3. Erm, anyone read the story?
    Didn't actually see ANY active service in EITHER wars!

Hardly a "Veteran" in my book, sorry but this bloke has had a nice long life on the back of those that had theirs cut short.
    (Just my opinion btw)
  4. Ah well, bet he lost a lot of friends during those times he wasn't actually fighting, but then again, not everyone fighting in a war is lucky, give the old guy a break, he's more of a veteran then some of the folks I see running around with veterans plates because they steamed around the Gulf during G1...ooooh a few boarding parties, no Iraqi submarine wolf packs to worry about I'm sure...scuse the sarcasm...just my opinion as well... :thumright:
  5. That depends on your point of view :thumright:
    Not every ship in GW1 was just "steaming around the Gulf" doing feckall ;) whereas he did nothing. He even left for Oz at 28, perhaps he could see what was happening in europe and wanted to get away, as some do :thumright:
  6. I find it hard to belive that people are digging this old boy out

7. Doubt they've buried him yet.
  8. No matter how small there part they did it
    Wear A Poppy

"Please wear a poppy", the lady said

and held one forth, but I shook my head.

Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,

and her face was old and lined with care,

but beneath the scars the years had made

there remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street,

bouncing along on carefree feet.

His smile was full of joy and fun,

"Lady," said he, "May I have one?"

When she pinned it on he turned to say,

"Why do we wear a poppy today?"

The lady smiled in her wistful way

and answered, "This is rememberance day,"

and the poppy there is the symbol for

the gallant men who died in war.

And because they did, you and I are free

that is why we wear a poppy, you see."

"I had a boy about your size,

with golden hair and big blue eyes.

He loved to play and jump and shout,

free as a bird he would race about.

As the years went by he learned and grew

and became a man - as you will, too."

"He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile,

but he'd seemed with us such a little while.

When war broke out and he went away

I still remember his face that day.

When he smiled at me and said, Goodbye

I'll be back soon Mum, so please don't cry."

"But the war went on and he had to stay,

and all I could do was wait and pray.

His letters told of the awful fight,

(I can see it all in my dreams at night.)

With tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire,

and the mines and bullets, the bombs and fire."

"Till at last, at last the war was won

and that is why we wear the poppy son."

The small boy turned as if to go,

then said, "Thanks lady, I'm glad to know.

That sure did sound like an awful fight,

but your son, did he come back all right?"

A tear rolled down each faded cheek,

she shook her head but didn't speak.

I slunk away in a sort of shame,

and if you were me you'd have done the same,

for our thanks, in giving, if oft delayed,

though our freedom was bought and thousands paid.

And so when we see a poppy worn,

let us reflect on the burden borne,

by those who gave their very all.

When asked to answer their country's call

then we at home in peace may live,

then wear a poppy, and remember GIVE!
  9. I am with Lammers on this one and he did NOT actually see any active service, so I cannot understand the headline. Fair enough he may have lost many friends, but havn't we all?

Do not wish to sound uncaring, but he was not actually a veteran was he?!?
  10. Brigham - interesting point. During WW2 many individuals (my Uncle amongst them) were called up, served their time and were never posted overseas. They all recevied one or two campaign medals: the War Medal and (if they'd done 3 years) the Defence Medal. Does that mean they aren't veterans?
  11. I am not saying he is NOT a veteran mate, so get off your high horse. The headline makes it sound as though he can be compared to 'Harry Patch, which he clearly can NOT be.

For what its worth, I had two great Uncles, one in the Marines and one in the Army during the war. One (Army) never left the UK the entire war and was stationed up north away from any action whilst the other saw action at Sicily, Anzio and Normandy. I know which one I always looked up to as a boy.
  12. I wonder if your uncle who was in Italy .Thought the SAMe as you do about the one who never left these shares .Although i do see where you are coming from .But he would have fought and probably died if he had been called up in 1917 !!.On the day before remembrance Sunday we lay a wreath on the grave who died just before he joined his first ship from Ganges back in 1917.I do not particularly agree with it as he did not fight .But we do it to commemorate all of the Ganges boys who did
  13. I happen to agree with the sentiment, but you did say that he wasn't a Veteran!

To be more accurate, they should have said "One of the last surviving members of the Armed Forces during WW1", but, hey, they're journos and that's far too complicated a concept!
  14. How would you describe the people who lived and survived the Blitz and did not wear a uniform, I would call every one of them a veteran, so semantics aside, he was willing to serve either country, just that circumstances dictated he never got to see any action, did half of the senior brass ever see action, maybe, maybe they received all sorts of kudos though and gongs...if he sailed on any troop ships, his life was at maybe the term "veteran" should be just reserved for those who actually get shot at?

Are the Merchant Marine allowed the same respect as those who wore the uniform get in being labeled a "veteran", me thinks not...

Can't get over the idea people would begrudge this fella the simple courtesy of being labeled a mistake or not... :thumright: