Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World War 2 -keeping diaries whilst serving in the Royal Navy

MichaelBully1

Badgeman
Greetings, I've heard claims that it was forbidden to keep a diary whilst serving in the Royal Navy during World War 2. Presumably in case if diary was ever found by the enemy might have potentially useful information. Trying to find actual source for this, ideally a specific regulation. Can anyone help? Thanks .

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I have a feeling it was in the Articles of War.

During the Falklands conflict we were certainly briefed not to keep diaries. I remember studiously ignoring it and writing events as they happened in an A5 ringbound shorthand notebook. I kept it for many years and to my lasting regret, ditched it when I moved to Gosport, mid 1990s. Wish I'd kept it now but at the time I was embarrassed by how scared I felt and how I'd expressed it at the time.

MichaelBully1

Badgeman
Thanks for your response . I remember years ago talking to a RN World War 2 veteran who was really cross with service personnel who kept diaries at the time and later got them published . But I have to admit that from a historical point of view diaries are a vital source of information.
Will search for Articles of War. Appreciated your help.

bollotom

War Hero
Would it perhaps have been similar to logbooks and restricted publications not desirous of falling into enemy hands as perhaps lots of information could be gleaned from some diaries? :cool:

MichaelBully1

Badgeman
Indeed bollotom. I suppose that because diaries are a potential source of information to later historians this would also mean that they could be useful to an enemy during the conflict itself.
The veteran I knew also seemed to resent service people who kept a diary against regulations then being in a position to profit after World War 2 ended.
My impressions are drawn from conversations that took place over twenty years ago and that's why I would like to see some regulations to confirm what the correct position was.
Regards

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Memorial erected at HMP Whitemoor for second world war plane crash victims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
soleil CornwallLive: "German First World War Shipwreck Appears At Cornwall Beach After Storms" History 3
soleil i: "'A Fitting Tribute': Second World War Hero's Uniform Pride Of Place On HMS Prince of Wales" History 2
MoD_RSS Burial of 13 World War One soldiers brings closure to crowdfunded archaeological project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
W Bathythermographs - World War 2 History 2
MoD_RSS News story: Family of World War 1 soldiers attend their relatives' funeral a century after they gave their lives MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cornish soldier killed during World War 1 is finally laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Arts Minister steps in to save £5 million Sargent First World War landscape from export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh Secretary to commemorate 100 years since the end of the First World War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Unknown warrior from World War 1 given final resting place MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister praises First World War heroes at reburial service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Brave World War 2 Halifax crew buried in dignified ceremony in Albania MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of courageous World War 2 pilot has been rededicated 77 years after his death MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy sailor killed during World War 1 is honoured as he is laid to rest MoD News 2
soleil Crewe Chronicle: "Virgin Trains Remembers Royal Navy Train That Served Crewe During World War" History 1
MoD_RSS News story: Two World War 1 Majors have finally been identified a century later MoD News 0
soleil The Atlantic: "The Fading Battlefields of World War I" History 0
MoD_RSS News story: An unknown British World War 1 sailor's grave identified and rededicated a centrury after his death MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Seven british Army soldiers killed during World War 1 are honoured as they are laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of a Seaforth Highlander rededicated 100 years after he was killed in world war 1 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Rededication and burial services for first world war soldiers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Durham Light Infantry and Bedfordshire Regiment Soldiers who fought in world war 1 are laid to rest a century later MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World war one Durham light infantry soldier finally given military burial a century after his death MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Burial service for soldiers of the first world war MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two World War 1 soldiers have finally been identified a century later MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World War 1 soldier who was killed in the Battle of the Somme finally laid to... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Service of commemoration for 7 World War 2 Royal Air Force (RAF) servicemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of Northumberland born World War 2 prisoner of war finally rededicated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World War 1 Royal Dublin Fusilier's resting place finally marked after almost... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World War 1 soldiers finally honoured after over a century MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World War 2 Royal Warwickshire 2nd Lieutenant's grave identified after almost... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Bravery of 3 World War 2 soldiers shot for escaping from a POW camp finally... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Three World War 2 soldiers finally laid to rest 75 years after they gave their... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World War 2 airman finally laid to rest 70 years after he gave his life for his... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Unknown World War 1 soldiers graves rededicated MoD News 0
D Deserters/Missing in World War Two History 2
MoD_RSS News story: World War 2 airmen's graves rededicated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two unknown soldiers from World War 1 honoured as they are finally laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Family's pride as sergeant killed in World War 2 is honoured MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: Final plea to find Yorkshire family of World War 2 hero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Final effort to find family of World War 2 hero Clifford Granville Shaw MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Officers killed during World War 2 have their graves rededicated MoD News 0
D Good afternoon I served in the Royal Navy in the 2nd world war. I am now living in South Africa. Current Affairs 3
MoD_RSS News story: World War 1 Black Watch hero finally laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World War 2 servicemen's grave rededication MoD News 0