World bank want Blair

#6
brazenhussy said:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/view/7288
It's a speculative report, and traditionally the World bank is a US billet with the IMF being a European. There has been some talk recently of changing that, but I wouldn't anticipate the Whitehouse giving up control, not even to Pres Tony.
 

wet_blobby

War Hero
Moderator
#7
Cant see B'lair taking it if offered (doubtful) It would get in the way of his big money making lecture tour and book.

If offered in 18 months time then he'd jump at the chance.
 
#8
wet_blobby said:
Cant see B'lair taking it if offered (doubtful) It would get in the way of his big money making lecture tour and book.

If offered in 18 months time then he'd jump at the chance.
I don't know, get all his travel and hotel bills paid by the bank and still do his lectures on 'days off', or just do dinner jobs, no need to waste the holiday days then, and in a few years he can then add 'My days as head of the World Bank' to his repertoir. Potentially a good scam, especially as Cherie can represent the nations screwed up by world bank actions, double whanny.
 
#12
Maxi_77 said:
wet_blobby said:
Cant see B'lair taking it if offered (doubtful) It would get in the way of his big money making lecture tour and book.

If offered in 18 months time then he'd jump at the chance.
I don't know, get all his travel and hotel bills paid by the bank and still do his lectures on 'days off', or just do dinner jobs, no need to waste the holiday days then, and in a few years he can then add 'My days as head of the World Bank' to his repertoir. Potentially a good scam, especially as Cherie can represent the nations screwed up by world bank actions, double whanny.
Considering celebs are demanding ten grand plus for dinner speeches. What would our Tone be asking??
 
#13
Backpacker1uk said:
Maxi_77 said:
wet_blobby said:
Cant see B'lair taking it if offered (doubtful) It would get in the way of his big money making lecture tour and book.

If offered in 18 months time then he'd jump at the chance.
I don't know, get all his travel and hotel bills paid by the bank and still do his lectures on 'days off', or just do dinner jobs, no need to waste the holiday days then, and in a few years he can then add 'My days as head of the World Bank' to his repertoir. Potentially a good scam, especially as Cherie can represent the nations screwed up by world bank actions, double whanny.
Considering celebs are demanding ten grand plus for dinner speeches. What would our Tone be asking??
When you consider they look for over £1000 a skull to attend ten grand a dinner or lunch is peanuts. I think Maggie made several £M whilst she was at it. I for one cannot see why people pay to go but they do. Remeber Churchill funded his extravgant life style through both his books and the lecture circuit, and considered the lectures as the fastest way to raise some cash when the coffers were low.
 

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#15
Useful CV stuff on his way to President of Europe, to add to throwing our money at the Crabs' pointless eurofighter, Galileo redundant satnav etc & dragging us recalcitrant Brits even further into an unelected Euro bureaucratic dictatorship after splitting 'England' (for which he has only contempt) into anonymous 'regions', compromising the fighting effectiveness of our forces by saddling them with inferior 'euro' equipment and surrendering NI to the RC terrorists..

Must be time for my pink gin.
 
#16
Only reason he is being considered is to throw a bone to the rest of the world, he has no chance, would you employ him in any other capacity than village idiot?
 
#17
Battle over Wolfowitz successor

A day after Paul Wolfowitz resigned as World Bank president, ending weeks of turmoil, a fresh battle loomed over how and if the US should pick his successor.

Wolfowitz's resignation was forced by his handling of a high-paying promotion for his companion that prompted an uprising among staff and mainly European member countries.




The White House said George Bush, the US president, would move quickly to nominate an American successor.

However, that decision that may anger some European countries who believe a more considered approach is necessary.


'Merit-based selection'

Tony Fratto, White House spokesman, said: "The president is going to try to select the individual he thinks is the best person for the job."

The World Bank board began meeting on Friday to discuss the issue.


The agenda was set to include how a new president should be chosen and whether an interim leader should be appointed to take over after Wolfowitz departs and before a new head is named.

The US, the bank's largest shareholder, has named the World Bank chief since the bank's inception more than 60 years ago.

Many critics have said that practice should be revamped in the wake of Wolfowitz's rocky two-year tenure at the bank.

Henry Paulson, the US treasury secretary, said on
hursday that he would help Bush identify a nominee after consultations with other World Bank member countries.

'Creating opportunities'

"I will consult my colleagues around the world as we search for a leader who will continue to focus the bank on creating opportunities for the world's poorest," Paulson said.

He made clear it would be an American. He said: "I see no reason why this should change and I see every reason why it's important that the World Bank should continue to be run by an American."

European countries, who by tradition always choose the head of the bank's sister organisation, the International Monetary Fund, have not challenged that long-standing practice.

Bank of Blair

While the White House cautioned that it was too early to speculate over a successor, names being tossed around in the US media included Paul Volcker, former federal reserve chairman; Robert Zoellick, former deputy US secretary of state; and Robert Kimmitt, deputy US treasury secretary.

Rumours have circulated in past days that Tony Blair, the outgoing British prime minister, could be tapped for the post.

Joseph Stiglitz, a Nobel prize-winning economist and former senior vice president and chief economist at the bank, said that Blair "is one of the people that is clearly being discussed."

Staff anger

Wolfowitz's decision to step down at the end of June has not quelled staff anger.

The bank's employee association has demanded the former US deputy defence chief and the Iraq war's architect be put on administrative leave immediately and be forbidden from making any policy decisions.

Senior bank managers urged staff on Friday to focus on the bank's mission of fighting poverty.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/50E25AC1-4970-43A0-87BA-19F5563FCD25.htm
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
nelsons_blood Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top