Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Workout Music

chieftiff

War Hero
Well it has been a couple of years since I left the mob, life as a Project Manager has turned out to be a bit, um......... shall we say fattening (too much time sat on my arse)! and a little bit stressful (which is good, I work best under pressure) Now I've just been promoted and I can foresee life as a Senior Project Manager being even more fattening and stressful so with my new found wealth I've joined a good gym and taken the advice of a personal trainer, I've set myself the goal of being fitter in 6 months than I've ever been in my life and importantly taking 1.5 hours out of my very long working day to put some balance back.

To achieve all this I've given up smoking (I've only been a social smoker for the last 6 months anyway) and have a fairly challenging training regime over 6 days a week..... which includes hour sessions of circuits, boxercise, and spinning over 3 evenings plus a 30 minute cardiac workout in the gym (either my gym or whatever hotel gym I happen to find myself in) on workdays first thing in the morning and early evening on cycle, cross and rowing machines ( a bit of swimming, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room built in too for stress relief :wink: ) It's all laid out for me in a timetable with a bit of trainer input to keep me on track.

Anyway, that's my challenge, as part of that I'm knocking up a playlist for my cardiac workout - 30 mins twice a day, I've looked at all the "workout" albums on I Tunes and come to the conclusion that they are all crap! So I need 60 mins of quality thumping motivational music, by coincidence I heard this on the TV today and it's No1 on my list (the radio version) : Run - Gnarles Barklay

Any suggestions (stick "Eye of the Tiger" up your arse experience tells me that "rock" type music just bores me to tears on the treadmill so I'm looking at something a bit more inspiring with a good beat over 120-130 bpm)

I've a varied taste Chief, I work out to alsorts from Happy Hardcore dance - Club Dance to Rock.

Depends on your taste really. What sort of music do you like? I maybe able to suggest some tunes then

tommo said:
I've a varied taste Chief, I work out to alsorts from Happy Hardcore dance - Club Dance to Rock.

Depends on your taste really. What sort of music do you like? I maybe able to suggest some tunes then

I'm going to show my age here but this is half my problem, I think I like club dance, maybe hardcore dance but I don't like drum and base (I've got tinitus and it drives me mad) - the real problem is I probably like a lot more of this stuff than I think I do and find it good to work out too, I'm a bit reticent (read tight) to shell out for a hardcore dance album without listening to it and there seem so many that I can't possibly preview all of them on I tunes. My plan is to look at all the recommendations, preview them on I tunes and then shell out. I really like the Gnarls Barclay track I linked too but their other stuff seems a little bit too slow, something with that sort of rhythm and beat would be perfect, the Nike workout albums seem to be all electronic music which is fine but it gets tedious after 3 or 4 tracks!

I too do the cardio bit 3 times a week. 20 mins on the tread mill...(more concerned about the incline than how fast I can run)...and 10 minutes on the Elliptical. Finish off with 5 minutes on the weights. Music I use for all is Robin Trower and his '20th Century Blues CD. Tempo is perfect for me, varies from 3.1 MPH/10 to 15 degree incline to 4.2 mph with a reduced incline, effort being dictated by my heart rate (max 180 but normally maintained between 155 and 165. (I ain't getting any younger)

Best of luck....self discipline is the key...so easy to give it a miss... 8)

I recommend Hardcore Classics by Ministry of Sound. Some old school hardcore tunes on there.

Also 100 Greatest Dance Tunes of the 90's. There are some classic club anthem from back when they made some good dance tunes like Show Me love and You got the love. But there are some cheesey tunes but you can take them off your ipod if needs be individually.

Classic Trance Nation is good for cardio work outs I found

I recently got the Ministry of sound running trax from i tunes. 60 odd tracks for £10, not a bad album, and does the job for me.

One of my fave all time albums to run and cycle to is Bat out of Hell, it's got loads of changes in rythym, so it's ideal for fartlecking.

like tommo, ive a varied taste when it comes to workout music, also depends what type of mood im in.

When im in not such a good mood, i play all the screamo/ heavy metal etc.

When the moods better, i try go for something a bit more upbeat and cheerier, again as tommo suggested hardcore classics by ministry of sound are great for keeping the beat up and you get a decent if not great workout when listening to them.

I personally cant workout without music, theres nothing better than putting your ipod in and going out a nice long run.

Alternitavely, In The Navy by the Village people makes me run quite well :lol:

the_matelot said:
Chieftiff,

Just put 'Hearts of Oak' on your ipod and play it on repeat :thumright:

Alternatively, this may be of use....

http://djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html

Looking at that link I could get Hearts of Oak pimped up into a dance track! That's a good site Deeps thanks.

Thanks for the other recommends too especially Tommo, the Ministry of Sound stuff seems to hit the spot :wink:

The only new hardcore stuff on the New Generation Compliations I really like is stuff by DJ Fracus. (Only cos I know him lol)

I do prefer the Old School tunes from the 90's mainly

tommo said:
Also 100 Greatest Dance Tunes of the 90's. There are some classic club anthem from back when they made some good dance tunes like Show Me love and You got the love. But there are some cheesey tunes but you can take them off your ipod if needs be individually.

That is an awesome album, you just can't beat some cheesy 90s dance classics.

I personally am a big fan of Eminem - Lose Yourself when I'm at the gym in addition to a load of rock music.

If you already have a lot of music on your computer you can go a different direction and instead download free software that finds all music over a specified BPM which is quite useful if you are looking for high tempo motivation!

JonniV said:
I personally am a big fan of Eminem - Lose Yourselfwhen I'm at the gym in addition to a load of rock music.

If you already have a lot of music on your computer you can go a different direction and instead download free software that finds all music over a specified BPM which is quite useful if you are looking for high tempo motivation!

Most definetley !, also ' Beautiful ' By him too. Keeps a nice steady beat going through it.