Working in AFCO?

Discussion in 'UPO' started by chipaz, Jun 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all, im leaving in november and spoke to my DO about working in the afco back home I as im working on the gate and its not like they need me, he said its ok with him and the afco said they can take me on but the employment office has said no? Ive told them about my current family issues that is going on at the moment (had a big big big fall out) and I need to find a new job and somewhere to live before I leave. Can anyone help me with this situation on how I can get there? All help is much appreciated.
  2. I think you may have to get your DO to convince the Employmnet office that you can be spared.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally, whilst it may not be the case here, it's not always in the interest of the service to place a disaffected individual in an AFCO, gagging to leave, as the first person to greet an enquirer walking into an AFCO.

Working at a careers office does have many benefits for the individual, not least they can attend careers fairs, network within the local jobs market and go home every night, most weekends off & no duties.

Very often the WMO view it as a 'perk' working in an AFCO and you do get those who seem to take it as a personal afront when an individual legitimately wishes to leave the service, under the terms of their contract. Very often, they think another person, not leaving, is "more deserving".

I managed to get myself seconded to an AFCO as part of my resettlement package (it worked- I got a job!) and maybe that's the way to put it - say you would work there instead of taking various courses to which you are entitled. When all's said and done, working in an AFCO can indeed be of more use to securing a job than undergoing a course in which you learn how to set up your own business or similar.

Rest assured however, we have no hesitation in RTU-ing idiots that sit in reception jokingly telling enquirers & their parents: "it's crap, don't join".

On the issue of dodgy family circumstances at home coinciding with your wishing to leave the service: From experience of myself and many others, things don't necessarily get any better when you are there, they often get worse. In the event you think your presence at home is critical, speak to NPFS but be aware they are pretty switched-on, compassionate where necessary, but come down on the individual like a ton of hot shit if they are trying to pull a fast one.

The other thing to consider when leaving the mob, is under no circumstances burn your bridges. Whilst the concept of returning at the point of departure may reduce you to hysterics currently, the pastures aren't always as green as they may appear once you're stood in them and find they are full of pooh too.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Ninja_Stoker

How things change over time...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Oh dear....

Although explore the world does sound terribly optimistic.
  6. You have been Ninja'ed.....:laughing3:
  7. See the mob still has SSAFA's then!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Sorry but you've decided to leave after only 2 years. You haven't done the minimum time yet you want the RN to help you so you can get a new job and somewhere to live?

Good luck with that
  9. Considering return of service is 4.5 years after joining up (unless PVR option exercised in first 6 months), how come your leaving early?
  10. How is this current affairs?
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Moved to "UPO" (I didn't have the heart to put it in "Diamond Lil's"...) :twisted:
  12. You're just no fun...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Depends on the branch. The standard return of service is 2 years 6 months, with the trade then giving extra time on top of that. The quickest exit is just under 3 years total service (stores off the top of my head), but RM bandsmen have even longer (60 months PLUS the 2 and a half years). This also doesn't factor in the usual 12 months either, though some branches will allow personnel to leave sooner if they're overmanned.

Really, I need to get out more.
  14. I am out of date WLS, but are those timescales not what is required before notice is submitted? Therefore add whatever notice time is (a year?). Obviously ready to be shot down on this one, but it does seem early 'escape' to me.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Basically minimum service is SITP + 30 months return of service +12 months notice, that`s the contract you sign.