Work reference

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Zoidberg, Mar 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What happened is that the place I used to work at was bought out by new management on 1/02/09. I started work 8 days later. I've been working at another establishment, but I'm still employed by the old company as it was sold as a going concern.

It didn't even occur to me until this morning that I put my old boss as a reference and forgot to mention my new employer.

So my questions are:
    A) Is it a big deal? I want to try and ease the blow to me when I tell the recruiter if it is.
    B) My boss asked what they really look for on the reference so that he can write it to fit, as it were, instead of just a general reference. So...What do they look for? :lol:

Cheers

2. Timthedim or Sentforaslash will be along shortly to advise you. Don`t panic.

3. Hig, how many times have we been over this, Tim is deceased. Keep bringing it up is like you continuely rubbing salt in my wounds... :cry:

4. DZ

Ninja Stoker and Supermario will be the best source of advice on this.

5. Where is the proof that Tim is a dead parrot?
    It's been mentioned but what if anything happened to him?

6. Read the thread Slim,we even had a autopsy. next the cremation and then the party

7. I've read the threads and can find no official or even semi official report on the demise or otherwise of Tim.
    Is he deceased or merely shuffled off to facebook or some other site?

8. We must be careful not to go off thread but here is a snippet

9. I have a query too...........can you put current employer as your work reference? ie when are they contacted in the application process?

Thanks in advance

10. That's the idea :wink:

Anyway. Anyone want to answer my question?

11. Doubt it.

It's dull and doesn't make much sense.

Like you.

12. Dear Dr Z,

It shouldn't matter that your boss has changed. Your reference needs to say that you are a snappy dresser and all round good egg. Well it basically needs to answer the questions that are on the reference letter, we want to know that you are a genuine fellow who is likely to turn up for work and give 100% throughout your career in the Navy. Just tell us that you are so great that he doesn't want to let you go.

What do you really thonk a reference should say??

Hope this helps though

SM

:D

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Shiiiit! I must've missed that briefing... :oops: :wink:

14. SM, thanks for the reply.

Would it be ok for me to tell the recruiter on the day of my interview about my employer changing? It's not that I want to avoid it, it's just that I've called him 3 or 4 times already about other things :oops:

I don't really know what it's supposed to contain. My boss asked me to find out specifics that he should put in so that's what I was doing :)

Cheers

15. I've got abit of a query on this subject too, I applied whilst unemployed about 2 months ago, since then i have started a new job, but on the application i put my old boss down.

My question is do i need to change this and if so when would i have the chance too?

Catton.

16. I just rang the AFCO. My adviser said "Just bring the details to interview and we can sort it out then".

17. Guess thats what ill do then!