Work outs.

shinson

Lantern Swinger
In terms of what?

What are you wanting to work? Do you have access to gym kit (kettlebells etc?)

Tookz

Midshipman
I have a gym membership so I have access to kettlebells, dumbbell etc.... I just need to improve general fitness, maybe improve strength and lose some weight

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Ok, from a person who has gone from 250lbs to 170 - most of your weight loss is due to diet.

Secondly - youtube is your friend. I will post a few links later but check out The Lean Machines, they do some great stuff and are very knowledgeable.

Other than that, I sacked off the typical 'gym' and joined a local bootcamp type studio for a more varied training schedule. Things like tyre flips, kettlebells, bodyweight drills (press ups, situps, planking, bear crawls, burpees, star jumps, tuck jumps), dumbell's, bar work, shuttle sprints to name a few things I do.

Also start to run on a regular basis. My run time was miles off when I first started.

I followed the 8 week RN training guide, and didn't move onto the next week until I could complete all the activities that week. So even if I could do all the press up sets etc, if I couldn't run for 20 minutes, then I did the whole week again.

I quickly got my time down.

With a good diet and source of energy, my recovery time decreased which meant I could train more which meant stamina levels increased, meaning I could run further or faster or lift heavier or complete more sets/reps.

Sumo

War Hero
I have a gym membership so I have access to kettlebells, dumbbell etc.... I just need to improve general fitness, maybe improve strength and lose some weight
most gyms have trainers to help, mine is part of membership? Tell them what you are trying to achieve and they work out a cct?

Coll95

I've found Crossfit to be one of the best things I've ever done in terms of phys. That combined with running has helped me no end. It gives you the skills to be able to do strength and conditioning and each session is ran by an instructor to a group of people. So you don't need to worry about what you're going to do in the session and everyone always helps each other on, there's a great sense of community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shinson

Lantern Swinger
I've found Crossfit to be one of the best things I've ever done in terms of phys. That combined with running has helped me no end. It gives you the skills to be able to do strength and conditioning and each session is ran by an instructor to a group of people. So you don't need to worry about what you're going to do in the session and everyone always helps each other on, there's a great sense of community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second that!! Crossfit really helped me progress when I otherwise felt like I had plateaued. As you say the community is class! It's something I'll be continuing when Ive finished my training at a box local to the base I'm on.

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Forgot to post this last night but here is the session I did last night:

Warm up Tabata style (20 seconds on 10 seconds off)
Touch downs (squat down touch the floor spring back up) x 2
Mountain Climbers x 3
Star Jumps x 4
Burpees with a jump at the top x 5
Squat hold and sprint on the spot x 6

Main Session:

Round 1 (1 minute per station)

High plank to Low plank with feet on a tyre or something which will raise your ankles higher than your hands
Alternate Should Press using 15kg Dumbells (right hand up then down to shoulder, then left, then both together)
Arnold Press @20kg plus bar (Chest up above your head, then lower behind your head and repeat in reverse)
Alternate lunges holding a 10kg plate above your head straight arms
Punch outs holding 5kg weight disc in each hand
Burpees feet on glider discs no jump at the top
Right arm only kettlebell squat press @20kg

Round 2 (repeat round 1 but for 30 seconds this time per station)

Round 3
Sprint as much as you can for 1 minute between two points.
Then 30 seconds side to side as fast as you can between two points.
Then high knees between point 1 and point 2, return back to point 1 with single leg lunges. 30 seconds

Round 4 (1 minute per station

Arm raises in front and down then out to the side and back. 1 dumbell each hand @8kg each hand
Bicep curl "21's" @15kg plus bar (7 half curl lower position to half way, then 7 from halfway to chest, then 7 full reps - repeat)
Tricep extension and then lower to waist height then raise back above head keeping arms straight and repeat with 10kg weight disc
Pressups hands on glider discs - wide arm pressup then into narrow arm pressup
Tricep dip using the tyre or step
Hold 3 x 5kg plates above head and high knees on the spot
Left arm only kettlebell squat press @20kg

Round 5 (repeat round 4 but 30 seconds each station)

Round 6

30 seconds remaining 100% effort sprint as many times as possible between two points.

Cool down and stretch off.

Enjoy!

Tookz

Midshipman
Defo gonna give that a try. How long rest did you do between round or just go straight into the nextremely one?

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Round 1 to 2 no rest.

Round 2 - 3 we had a 10 second rest

Round 3 - 4 we had a 30 second rest

Round 4 - 5 no rest

Round 5 - 6 no rest

no rests between stations either.

Tookz

Midshipman
Row for 30 calories
30 Russian kettlebell swings
30 sec plank
1 minute rest
Repeat 5 times.
Done this today any thoughts?

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Nah from a trainer.
Yeah that sounds canny! The rower is great for helping increase your aerobic stamina.

A good crossfit WOD I did recently which was pretty basic but tough to push on:

5 pull ups (can be assisted if required or negatives if you can't do a pull up)

10 pressups chest touch the floor

15 air squats

As many rounds as possible for 20 minutes.

Another little challenge we do amongst the lads I train with is the 20k challenge.

5k run
5k row
5k cross trainer
5k bike

In that order!!

Make sure you take a towel and water with you haha!

Start a stop watch and stop it when you finish your 5k bike.