Work experience

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dee_muppet, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i am hoping to join up as a warfare officer, and i know that some work experience within the navy would be very helpful. I know i can't go into a ship but does anyone know how i could go about getting some work experince at a naval base working with the ships? preferably the southern ports such as plymouth, portsmouth etc.

Any help would be really helpful!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Depending on age & whether you have submitted an application to join: The best bet is to speak to your Area Careers Liaison Officer as there are designated potential officer acquaint courses which may well fit the bill.

Good luck.
  3. Thankyou for that advice but i have to wait till febraury for me to be 5 years asthma free and so to go through the process fully. So i just wondered if i could try and get some work experience done before then? Is there anyone i could contact or is it just the afco?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally you need to be 4 years clear of asthma, asthma symptoms or treatment to enter into the selection process.

Most acquaint courses are run through the local AFCOs although we sometimes arrange school/CFE visits to certain Naval Base areas for groups of students regardless of medical suitability for service.

Generally the residential acquaint courses are organised via the Public/Uniformed Service Course teaching staff & the AFCO.
  5. Ok thankyou very much for that advice i will contact my afco as soon as i can and try and organise something.

Thankyou again!