Woos- Make the most of it!

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Guys, Girls,

May I send, via this forum, my heartfelt thanks & admiration to the WAFU world.

Unusually, for me, this is not a piss-take, but a heart felt thanks.

Earlier today a Lynx helo from 815 sqn (215 Flt?) landed at my 8 year-old son's primary school in Liverpool. (Yep, dodgy, but left hub-caps intact)

I appreciate, primary school visits are few & far between, but can I just say that the impact was, without doubt, incredible. The goodwill & public relations coup scored by such a straight forward "operational event" is immeasurable.

The aircrew & ground crew were brilliant ambassadors, showed excellent patience with the youngsters & should be truly proud of themselves. The children will always remember: "The day a Royal Navy Helicopter landed at my school".

I was left feeling both proud & humbled. If you know the guys involved, please say thank you from me. (Official letters inbound, obviously).

PS: Still think you're all gits. (Sorry, just jealousy).
  2. wasnt involved or know anyone involved but thanks for those comments, when we do things like this its so nice to see the delight on the kids (and the female teachers) faces is worth all those extra hours spent getting the cab ready. its moments like these that make you really proud to wear the uniform
  3. AAAArrrrr thats so nice.

Wish we had something like that when i was at school.
  4. Nice one!

On the downside though, they'll probably grow up, forget it was RN and join the RAF :lol:
  5. I met those five guys in the week, they are really decent friendly guys
  6. By the time they grow up do you really think we will actually still have an armed forces ?
  7. AF - yes
    RAF - not so sure :wink:
  8. Ninja Stoker - Thanks for the compliment. It wasn't me but I've done plenty of school visits by Lynx - they're always good fun but are getting harder and harder to organise (risk assessments, insurance, funding, etc.) and hence beccoming fewer and fewer.

The aim is not to recruit aircrew per se but any RN recruit, and a helo landing in your playground certainly beats double maths!

Many years ago, my eldest daughter was getting grief off the other girlies in her class along the lines of, "My Dad's a rich accountant," or "My Daddy's bonus has just bought me a new pony," etc. Having pre-arranged with the school and told none of the children, one Xmas lunchtime they found themselves barred from the playing field and lined up along one of the school walls. Cue low flying Lynx clattering overhead into a wingover to land in the centre circle! Next surprise is one of the Flight climbing out as Father Crimbo to much delight. All this followed by the kiddies clambering all over the cab - once they could get the teachers out of the way that is!

Happy Days - glad to see it still has the same effect.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Actually, it's funny you should say that:

Last year we had a Sea King visit a secondary school - the whole school ground to a halt. The helicopter in question was covered in RN logos & even had "Royal Navy" in 24" letters on either side for the benefit of the hard of hearing.

First question after it took off:

"That was great that Mister! How do you join the RAF?"

10. LOL NS Bless Him!!
    Whilst no children of my own, I was involved a few years back with community awareness on CPR. Some of this involved going into schools and talking to the children.
    Talk about a tough audience, especially straight after lunch!!! They all looked so bored, they were losing their wills to live. It wasn't till we pulled out Resus Annie and did all the practical aspects of CPR that they all opened up. The boys thought it was hilarious they were kissing a dummy (no not me :lol: ) and wanted to know how we dealt with vomit :p The girls were a little more serious and wanted to know whether I had delivered a baby, and that their granny/grandpa had been in hospital once!
    My point is that I realised just what an impact seeing, touching, feeling has on the teaching/awareness of children.
    Good on the helicoptor crew who took the time. Hopefully the forces will be a few recruits richer in a couple of years time for it. :)
  11. Ninja Stokes
    It's ok Ninj, we know, we're used to it :wink:
  12. Flew over my house in Birkenhead yesterday, I wondered what the fcuk a Lynx was doing over the Wirral, now I know. :D
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Glad you took it the vein it was intended! :lol:
  14. Dear Ninj

Glad do to see you had a good time, its not very often we can bring a smile to the snotty faced little kids, but we do let them fly off to schools occassionally, normally when its decent viz and they can use the motorways to navigate back......

.......oh! I'm glad the children at the school enjoyed it too!
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Chisler, as always, you have my upmost respect!

Even for Woos, they were blummin' good mate.

Had to laugh though- the sun came out whilst they were on the ground & not one had remembered either their Ray-Bans or their clicky beds.

Laugh? I nearly requested a make'n'mend.
  16. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Shouldn't you be at sea looking at some gauges or clearing a blockage?
  17. Ninja_Stoker

18. those lynx boys get all the good jobs. used to know a pilot that would buzz a school just at about 1230 just to annoy his exwife teacher.
  19. FAA school visits do work well, I still remember a Wessex landing in my very small school playground (I was very young at the time and it was just before they were replaced, I hasten to add!!).

A little while ago our baby number 2 was in hospital (all fine now) and baby number 1 was about 16 months old. He was getting bored visiting so I took him for a walk around the grounds and heard a familiar noise... we walked to the helipad and saw a 771 cab. Our baby was amazed by the noise, and we were only about 70 feet or so in front of it when it took off, he was totally amazed and kept pointing at it as it flow off into the distance!

On the way home I brought him a toy helicopter (one that actually looks like one ot a baby one), and it was about a day before he let it go! Whenever he sees a helicopter on the TV he holds his one up tp the screen!

I think he might want to be a WAFU when he grows up... oh the shame of it... :roll: :wink: