Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ben_C, Jun 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Passed my interview - Got m medical on the 10th.

Handed me my contract and security forms also.

Great news, just hope I don't get defferred for being a fat bastard :afro:

Cheers :D

2. Are you a fat bastard?...............
  3. Err not really, no..

The fact I'm 6ft 2 and rather well built may play a role in my weight though. But slightly overweight? maybe, obese? no.

BMI is 27.3
  4. At 6' 2" i won't be calling you a fat bastard then!! :thumright:
    I'm sure if you think you're slightly overweight then you'll shed a few pounds just in case....good luck..
  5. Yeah that was the theory, 12 days to lose a couple of pounds.

Cheers mate :)
  6. Ben at 6ft 2 may I ask if you live in the Littlehampton area? I'm just asking because the water supply there seems to be awash with growth hormones which are making the sons of hight challenged Rum Rationers considerably taller than their parents, and I'm seriously worried.

Incidentally well done!

7. Alas... No.

Regrettably, I seem to have lied about my height and am actually, to be very precise 6', 1.724'' which makes my BMI 27.1 - Strike me down, stretches all round and raw eggs for supper.

Cheers ;)
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just to put your mind at rest (don't know the target BMI off the top of my head), but if you are found overweight at your medical, you'll just be put on hold (Temporarily Medically Unfit) whilst you achieve your target weight.

Once you are at the correct weight, you will be passed fit and will then complete the final stages of your selection process.

If you follow the RN pre-joining fitness program(available from your AFCO), providing your own GP considers you are OK to undertake it (ie: you aren't suffering from any ailments which would endanger your health), you will soon reach your target, if indeed you are found to be overweight.

PS: It's "Wafu" not "WooHoo". Easy mistake, mind.
  9. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news!

BMI Categories:

Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    Overweight = 25-29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
  10. Crikey, 13.5 stone to be classed as 'normal weight'... my mate weighs that at my height and he looks borderline ill!

I somehow don't believe I am able to lose 2 stone in 12 days.. We'll see!

Ninja_stoker, I know I ask a lot of you.. Couldn't find out the exact BMI i need to haul my arse in could you?

11. You have to be under 30 and that is it.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ben, this is going to sound like a cop-out I'm afraid, but only the Final Examining Medical Officer has the authority to give you a target weight mate.

There's a few reasons for this, the first that he/she will decide what size frame you are - this gives a certain amount of latitude if you're naturally stocky and muscular.

The second reason is that I'm in no way medically qualified, the third is that the Doc gets paid a damn site more than me & is therefore welcome to tell people a lot taller than me whether they're fat!

Good luck Ben, sorry I can't be of more help on this one.
  13. What is it with everyone and height on this newbies section :excited:

Is the royal navy made up of carnies? Saying that both of the guys at my AFCO were indeed a damn sight shorter than me lol.

Cheers for your help anyway mate :D Any idea why I seem to have been given my security check and contract before I've completed all stages? I will shut up and partake in some non internet activities and stop bothering you after this, honest.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

No worries Ben- me missus is actually watching Big Brother (How sad?) so I'd rather do this than partake.

The security questionnaire, all 21 pages of it, is a complete pain to be honest & it takes a couple of months to gain Security Clearance. If you don't fill it out correctly, it just keeps getting sent back. It makes sense to get the ball rolling.

Your contract or S3049 (Ooh, sorry, that's almost as sad as the Big Brother bit) is a rather complex document to digest, so generally you are given a "drop copy" so as you are aware of your terms & conditions, should you eventually join up.

The thing to remember is that you are at no time obliged to join & are free to pause or terminate your application at any stage. Once you physically "sign on" then the terms of that copy of your contract apply & it's a legal obligation to let you know under what terms you would join. The copy you have is merely a draft copy- you can shred it & feed it to your pet gerbil if you feel inclined!

And what's wrong with being short then , Lofty?[​IMG]
  15. Good luck,
    the weight is a little bit of an issue, bu you have passed the test.
    At Raleigh the way is up, but you will have a lot of compulsory fitness sessions. Do your best, and you will get fitter.
    Keep smiling and keep a good kit. You are at Raleigh to learn, and with the right attitude you will.
    Instructors only shout because they have ugly wives/husbands and want to take it out on you. mention that to our PO in the 1st week and they will remember you.
  16. The thing with the fitness is that I would class myself as fit.

I run everyday, I cycle, everyday, I weight train, every few days.

My mile and half time is well under what I need and I still weigh a lot! lol.

Oh well, if I have to lose weight, I have to lose weight!

No doubt it will fall off at Raleigh anyway.

Again, thanks a lot for everyones support! Really, greatly appreciated.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

:headbang: Sound advice SBD, like your style! :thumright: