Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden Boats

Sumo

War Hero
Trying to ser if I recognised any land marks to give me a clue as to where the shipyard was?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
The most striking thing for me was the number of men involved in the build. I wonder how long and how many men it would take to do the build using modern day tools.

I thought it might be Appledore (nothing to base it on though).

Wightsparker

War Hero
Fascinating. Not sure about the yard, but I reckon you could see the Cornish Alps in one shot at sea. And one of the fishing boats had an FY code for Fowey.

Sumo

War Hero
Also noted that even though there was loads of workers they all appeared to be grafting.

If you haven't visited it recently, I thoroughly recommend a tour of Boathouse No.4 in Portsmouth which has recently been revamped and reopened thanks to a £3.5m Lottery Heritage Fund grant. Not only does it have a fine array of historic wooden boats on display, many of them familiar to older RN personnel, but it is also home to the International Boatbuilding Training College Portsmouth (IBTC Portsmouth) and the Solent Marine Academy who are delivering traditional boatbuilding training courses.

Ships' power boats used to be overhauled in Boathouse No.4 while pulling (rowing) and sailing boats were towed through the channel beneath the boathouse and the main roadway into the Boat Basin from which they were hoisted up the slip into Boathouse No.6, now the venue of the 'Action Stations' interactive exhibition.

Some pointless trivia:

Boathouse No.4 was built in 1939. It was originally going to be twice the size, extending as far as Victory Gate, but the war got in the way.

GRP boats are banned in Boathouse No.4 owing to public safety regulations.

Sir Alec Rose's yacht Lively Lady, in which he circumnavigated the world single-handed, is being restored in Boathouse No.4.​

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I agree that it is Polperro at the start but I have visited Looe several times and there is no view across the harbour from the shipyard anywhere there. Janner may have been correct about it being Appledore.
I didn't write it Fishhead. I only posted a link. :)

onions

GCM
Certainly looked like Polperro to me and Fowey would be the Port of registry for fishing boats along that part of the coast.

Wightsparker

War Hero
Probably an amalgamation of locations. At 10:57, what looks like a detached breakwater. Possibly Plymouth? - although it doesn't look like it is today. Or Portland?

And what I thought were the Cornish Alps are at about 11.20.

Sumo

War Hero
Having lived there for 42 years I can say without doubt that it is Looe. The part where they lift the funnel is filmed against East Looe quay, south of the bridge and adjacent to what is now the Harbour Office.
Well that's sorted then?:rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
whitemouse Wooden Ships History 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Submarines scaled to fit onto a wooden plinth Submariners 6
rod-gearing Wooden name type The Gash Barge 34
MoD_RSS Fire and Rescue Service Boats report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra seeks views on expanding use of monitoring technology on fishing boats MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Unmanned 'spy' boats...... Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS First boats set to pass through the new Boston Barrier MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 6
MoD_RSS Britain and France to strengthen joint action against small boats MoD News 0
janner Collins Class Boats Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Smart boats could revolutionise UK fishing and seafood industries MoD News 0
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
B Choice of boats Submariners 28
Tui Bird Noisy submerged diesel boats Submariners 10
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Press & Journal: "Royal Navy Patrol Boats In Tour Of The North" SCC and URNU 0
janner Canadian U Boats. Submariners 7
skyvet A tribute to Astute boats Submariners 10
janner A Boats Submariners 1
eto89 Tide Boats - SE/ME RFA 7
janner Name these Boats Diamond Lil's 16
F Boats question ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
J A boats. Submariners 8
B A good time to join boats? Submariners 10
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
SONAR-BENDER Lack of Faceache on boats! Submariners 11
bargee1937 Ships Boats of the 1930's and 1940's? History 10
P SIFT interview ship,boats,vessels crib sheets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
slim Better Than boats in yer Bathtub. Current Affairs 4
Joint_Force_Harrier Woo's On Boats The Fleet Air Arm 14
fishhead The World's Top 10 Diesel Boats Submariners 4
T Lb Dems are alone: Labours new Shadow Defence Secretary say four boats will stay Current Affairs 0
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
C Flying boats Current Affairs 13
soleil The Sun: "Pirates On The Rocks - Navy Sinks 17 Boats In Sea Bandit War" The Fleet 2
trelawney126 Nuclear Fuel for boats and Trident production suspended Submariners 0
SONAR-BENDER Iran's new boats Submariners 6
trelawney126 Chinese Navy & SSBN's boats Current Affairs 3
M Dry boats? Submariners 19
Topstop New Spanish Boats Submariners 3
M How often do boats come into port? Submariners 29
M Who actually fires the weapons on boats? Submariners 29
trelawney126 Bogie Knight to dismantle Nuclear Boats Submariners 4
D What does the RN have in defence against Missile Boats? The Fleet 23
MoD_RSS HMS Liverpool fires on Gaddafi boats Current Affairs 0
jesse Hey old and bold does"President Boats" ring a bell for you? Diamond Lil's 0
AfterSSE Interesting squabble about training on Yank boats Submariners 14
BillyNoMates Trams and boats and planes. Diamond Lil's 3