Wooden Boats

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by janner, Sep 28, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Enjoyed every minute, thanks.

3. Excellent, thoroughly enjoyed it thanks Janner.

4. Trying to ser if I recognised any land marks to give me a clue as to where the shipyard was?

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

The most striking thing for me was the number of men involved in the build. I wonder how long and how many men it would take to do the build using modern day tools.

I thought it might be Appledore (nothing to base it on though).

6. Fascinating. Not sure about the yard, but I reckon you could see the Cornish Alps in one shot at sea. And one of the fishing boats had an FY code for Fowey.

7. "...an icy sea and half a gale". Marvellous. Don't tell anyone I enjoyed that...

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Also noted that even though there was loads of workers they all appeared to be grafting.

9. Thanks, Janner. Some of the old info films are quite good. :cool:

10. If you haven't visited it recently, I thoroughly recommend a tour of Boathouse No.4 in Portsmouth which has recently been revamped and reopened thanks to a £3.5m Lottery Heritage Fund grant. Not only does it have a fine array of historic wooden boats on display, many of them familiar to older RN personnel, but it is also home to the International Boatbuilding Training College Portsmouth (IBTC Portsmouth) and the Solent Marine Academy who are delivering traditional boatbuilding training courses.

[​IMG]

Ships' power boats used to be overhauled in Boathouse No.4 while pulling (rowing) and sailing boats were towed through the channel beneath the boathouse and the main roadway into the Boat Basin from which they were hoisted up the slip into Boathouse No.6, now the venue of the 'Action Stations' interactive exhibition.

[​IMG]

Some pointless trivia:

Boathouse No.4 was built in 1939. It was originally going to be twice the size, extending as far as Victory Gate, but the war got in the way.

GRP boats are banned in Boathouse No.4 owing to public safety regulations.

Sir Alec Rose's yacht Lively Lady, in which he circumnavigated the world single-handed, is being restored in Boathouse No.4.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 8
  11. I agree that it is Polperro at the start but I have visited Looe several times and there is no view across the harbour from the shipyard anywhere there. Janner may have been correct about it being Appledore.

12. I didn't write it Fishhead. I only posted a link. :)

13. Certainly looked like Polperro to me and Fowey would be the Port of registry for fishing boats along that part of the coast.

14. Looe is featured from 9:40 onwards :)

15. It says it is Looe but I have my doubts.

16. Probably an amalgamation of locations. At 10:57, what looks like a detached breakwater. Possibly Plymouth? - although it doesn't look like it is today. Or Portland?

And what I thought were the Cornish Alps are at about 11.20.

17. Having lived there for 42 years I can say without doubt that it is Looe. The part where they lift the funnel is filmed against East Looe quay, south of the bridge and adjacent to what is now the Harbour Office.

18. Well that's sorted then?:rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Cor! Where be goin' to, Jagger?

• Like Like x 1