Women soldiers could be allowed to join combat roles

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by BristolBastard, May 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And?..it'll happen soon enough.
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not news... females have been doing phenomenally courageous work- and have been decorated for it many times - with the SAS and SBS as part of SFSG/SRR.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A simplistic view, perhaps, but I am astonished that despite the progress we have made in many areas, a person's gender should still be a reason to prevent them from doing a particular job. Nobody is suggesting that females are to be given preferential treatment to undertake frontline roles, but if they are mentally and physically capable or doing the job, then it should be encouraged.

When we're in the business of killing people, isn't it a little ironic that we are suddenly rather sensitive about the possibility of a woman menstruating in the field or "breaking a nail" (!!)? As far as I'm concerned, anyone dumb enough - and I mean ANYONE - who wants to sit in a trench and blow shit up or slot (brown, yellow or white) people for a living, should be allowed. Some of the most professional, level-headed (and downright psychopathic!) police officers I have had the privilege to work with in a hostile situation have been females. For men to believe that women lack the steel grit, determination or sheer-blooded aggression to cause harm to another person has never been in that situation themselves; I would wager that most of the critics are armchair heroes who have never fired a shot in anger themselves.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Anyone who's witnessed a full on cat fight down Unionstrasse (other areas are available) would know that some females are capable of inflicting some quite serious injuries, any fool whose tried to break a cat fight up tends to come off far worse, plus they don't seem to know when to stop :)
  6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Tits or not, if you can complete the training to do the job then crack on.

Just the thoughts of a blonde, ex wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up!
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  8. The headline to the article posted seems to be more than a little misleading and could be aimed at paper ruffling.

The review is intended to look at women serving as RM, Infantry, RAC, HCAV and RAF Reg. There is no mention of The SAS or special forces however the argument could be made that they come under infantry. I'm sure that our big watched, moustachioed chums would get a little peeved at that though.

Anyway, it's going to happen. There's simply no valid justification for women to be excluded from these roles.
  9. Isn't the RAF Reg already full of women?
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

... and the Paras

11. It had to happen eventually, if the females can complete the same training as the men there is no logical reason why they can't serve in combat roles.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I have been that fool "once", unless it was a member of my family or a close friend, the next time I see two hellcats going at it they can dig out and crack on. I made the fatal mistake in "The Barn" in Penzance many, many moons ago. Two local birds going at it hammer and tongs outside, I thought I would be the superhero and step in, ended up with an ear half torn off and several gouges out of my cheek. Lesson learned
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wow.....I was on HMS Amazon when it was being broached about women serving at sea, my gramps was spitting tacks at home, but it was the married guys that were taking the crap at home. We were locked in dock at the time. Plymouth, when the gearboxes were breaking apart same as the Coventry. The married spanners were dropping bits overboard as we couldn't go off until all bits were found. Never happened! But back to women on board and in the PBI.

I agree about the women doing great stuff in Intel with SAS/SBS etc and some at the pointy end (didn't one get killed a couple of years ago and the press prats went bonkers?)....I also agree women can have a viscious tear up. Personal experience on that one!
    BUT....on the front line in Afghanistan with the PBI??? What's going to happen to them IF they get captured? And wouldn't they be targeted by the RH's for maximum worldwide press cover? Therefore putting the whole of their unit in extra danger?

Then the male factor. Regardless of the crap we can come out with most of us are hard-wired to protect the ball-busters!
    That doubling of the unit danger level just got trebled.
    I didn't stay just living in No8's.....I went sideways to Poole Barracks, 'nuff said.
    But I have been at the pointy end of the stick Down South and a couple of other places, but in all honesty I would not, not NOT want women fighting along side me for so many reasons I can't begin. And I know some pretty cool and tough girls/women. Pitch of voice under stress comes to mind just as a start. Not being total team players and have a tad of a chip on their shoulder to prove themselves is another.
    Fully armed, combat trained as support and combat ready Intel, no problem at all. But those are special sharp high IQ women.
    To have a few thousand frontline who's job ops are the Mil or MacD, Lidl, Iceland or telesales etc....sorry but I'm not being an arse here, I want physical strength of mind and body, tenacity and strong decision making when its needed. Which I hear the women already with SAS/SBS/Combined Ops etc do have....but they are the few....NOT in their thousands which is what the MOD in their usual infinite wisdom are talking about.
    For me a non starter.

Open to debate on this, but you'll have to find ways around the key points to change my view on this.

As an addition, the Septics have done this, and thankfully we are above them. US women in the Mil carry a knife to stop the covered up rapes that occur to them, hundreds.
    I VERY much doubt that would happen with us. I hope we are way above that. But it will remain an If-But-Maybe along with way too many other little details that if you add up every 5% reasons to say NO to this ends up as 70% NO no NO.

14. To Scouse_Scribes, don't know how to add to this directly as only found the site days ago. Coming from Falmouth I know 'The Barn' and, well cat fights galore, west country and pretty much anywhere in this country that discards us!
    Seen teeth knocked out, ears ripped off and in Bangkok one bang a stilleto into the forehead of another bar girl, deep.

But not the same when its a firefight, and as I wrote on this earlier, what happens if the RH's take one in Afghanistan?

I don't think this is inevitable, not as front line PBI, too many no's and not enough yes's......the Mil cannot be Politically Correct......my wife has listened to stories (father US Navy, Vietnam era)...and she just said, 'There are stories and then there are the real stories of things happening, and I'd be happier not hearing them, but now I have, the public are lucky they don't know'...

I wouldn't like to write THAT letter to their family. End of from me on this subject.
  15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I may have this wrong but I'm of the impression that there is to be a review into the current policy ( no dames in infantry) not a magic wand changing the 'rules ' overnight.

Everyone in a ship, be it warship, naval auxiliary or commercial share the risks. If anything, the RN and RFA have been taking women to / through the front line since - like - forever. No servicewomen maimed or killed at sea as far as I know.

I'm not a fan of putting women up threat, despite my admiration for the likes of Kate Nesbitt. A 'woman down' will disable more combatants than a 'man down'. I recall the IDF found that to their cost, but champions of female infantry are either rewriting history or blokes' psychology has changed- and I missed it.
  16. Ah well. Our loss.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. But they can't join the SBS right since women aren't allowed to join the Royal Marines (excluding the RM Band)?
  18. *Larghissimo* But. If. They. Were. Permittted. To. Join. Front. Line. Forces. They. Would. Be. Permitted. To. Join. The. Royal. Marines.