Women in the navy are not the problem, male attitudes are

PartTimePongo

War Hero
Sexism within the military is rife, but no one appears to be taking servicemen to task, says Victoria Basham

Wednesday March 21, 2007
The Guardian

In her article on the jailing and dismissal of Royal Navy Chief Petty Officer Philip Coates for raping a woman colleague, your reporter Audrey Gillan perhaps unwittingly reinforces the all-too-familiar tale that the presence of women in the military causes boys to be boys (Sailor gets five years for raping female colleague, March 15).

Gillan's observation that Coates "was the first member of the Royal Navy to be convicted of the rape of a female colleague since women were allowed to go to sea in 1990" might suggest that this decision has been largely unproblematic. However, it also links Coates' indefensible behaviour to the presence of women on Royal Navy ships. That the rape took place after a "drunken barbecue held while the ship was at anchor in the Mediterranean", which servicewomen attended, should not be an issue. Yet it diverts attention away from Coates's actions and reinforces the notion that problems with servicemen are an outcome of allowing women to serve in the armed forces.

In my research with members of the British military on equality and diversity issues, a number of servicewomen told me about their struggles to have their achievements recognised. Many of their male colleagues simply saw them as out of place. As one Royal Navy servicewoman put it: "Servicemen that don't believe in women at sea treat you differently; they'll pile more work on to you just so that you try and prove yourself that little bit more." Another said: "You're constantly fighting to prove who you are as an individual purely because of your sex." For some women, such attitudes led to sexual harassment. One army officer told me: "I was gonna leave after three years because I was fed up with such sexist behaviour. Some people felt that you were being brought into the regiment because you were there as some kind of sexual object. I ended up locking my door every night because I felt safer that way."

Fears around the impact of the presence of women in the services also underline the Ministry of Defence's justification for restricting women's roles. When the ban on women serving in all-male close combat units was last reviewed in 2002, the MoD concluded that the impact of a woman's presence on the cohesion of these all-male units could not be ascertained or trialled in "real war" situations, and therefore the ban should remain in place. Underlying this conclusion was an assumption that the mere presence of women can disrupt male bonding. However, focusing on the presence of women severely diminishes the responsibility of servicemen to behave appropriately and to treat women's efforts seriously.

By continuing to see servicewomen as extraordinary, we are putting them at risk of sexual harassment and assault, while appeasing the servicemen who perpetrate such acts. Findings that 99% of servicewomen have experienced sexual harassment, in a report for the Equal Opportunities Commission, suggest that we should focus on the inability of servicemen to conduct themselves professionally, rather than on allowing women to serve. For many servicewomen, the greatest battle is to be taken seriously, something their male counterparts take for granted. If society and the military stop seeing women as out of place, maybe it's a battle they could win.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2038853,00.html

As an aside, and perhaps unknown to Victoria Basham, Audrey served as an Embed during Telic 1.

Re: Women in the navy are not the problem, male attitudes ar

Vicky aint a sexist dungaree wearing blinkered sexest pig then is she? :roll:

wet_blobby said:
Vicky aint a sexist dungaree wearing blinkered sexest pig then is she?
Good grief man, definitely not! After all, she writes for the Grauniad doesn't she? :wink:

Would be interesting to see how many men have been subjected to sexual harrassment. Not many probably, as we welcome it!

spider_monkey

Lantern Swinger
PartTimePongo said:
If society and the military stop seeing women as out of place, maybe it's a battle they could win.
She finally hit the nail on the head in the last line. This isn't a problem that can be sorted out by the military; the military is just another employer and I suspect some career paths fair even worse than the military do.

If you can't take the heat get out of the job (regardless of sex).

JunglyDaz said:
Would be interesting to see how many men have been subjected to sexual harrassment. Not many probably, as we welcome it!
The problem here is surely that most men who have suffered sexual harassment do not report it because they fear ridicule - especially in the Forces?

I met a British Sailor once and took him home. He woz not like you say here, he woz nice slim and look like sea cadet. He did not even now how to give a proper kiss so I showed him how. Alass I woz a young girl then abck in the 50s.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The_French_Bird said:
I met a British Sailor once and took him home. He woz not like you say here, he woz nice slim and look like sea cadet. He did not even now how to give a proper kiss so I showed him how. Alass I woz a young girl then abck in the 50s.
"Bonjour Madame - je mapelle Jacque; I'm not like the other matelots..."

:wink:

slim

War Hero
sgtpepperband said:
The_French_Bird said:
"Bonjour Madame - je mapelle Jacque; I'm not like the other matelots..."

:wink:
Typical reggie. Trying to nick Higs French bird :smile:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC R4: Woman's Hour: Women Serving In The Royal Navy Current Affairs 2
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Drills Help England Women’s Rugby Squad" Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS Milestones reached for women in the Royal Navy Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Navy's SAR helicopter battles blizzard to rescue stricken women Current Affairs 4
soleil Mirror: "Royal Navy Prepares To Let Women Serve On Submarines For The First Time" Submariners 2
soleil Royal Navy Website: "Celebrating 100 years Of Women's Achievements" The Fleet 1
B The royal Navy and women The Fleet Air Arm 33
Ninja_Stoker "Navy set to lift ban on women in submarines" Current Affairs 71
soleil "U.S. Navy ‘moving aggressively’ to allow women on subs" Submariners 96
K Women in the Navy The Quarterdeck 50
wingnut US Navy Mans Two Nuclear Subs with Women Submariners 25
perrym Royal Navy Women's Rugby League - First Game Match Report Sports and Adventure Training 3
Nicky_D Royal Navy Women's Rugby Sports and Adventure Training 25
MoD_RSS CNC officers proud to take part in webinar on women in armed policing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl Scientist shortlisted for Women in Defence Awards 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Winners of the European Tech Women Awards announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Liam Fox pledges half his team will be women if he is the WTO DG MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Improvements to care for pregnant women and mothers in prison MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DIT joins Women in Aviation and Aerospace Charter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ambassador Julian Braithwaite’s statement on Women’s Economic Empowerment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 44: Interactive Dialogue with Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 44: Statement for Interactive Dialogue with UN Working Group on Discrimination Against Women MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Engineering a bright future for women MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKAEA engineer in 2020 Top 50 Women in Engineering awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Meet the women in engineering helping to shape the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government guidance to help Britain's top sportsmen and women to return to training safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to steer more women away from crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Women and Equalities Liz Truss sets out priorities to Women and Equalities Select Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement on the occasion of International Women’s Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commissioner celebrates Pakistan’s Women Parliamentarians MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Women and Equalities Liz Truss speech at The House magazine's Women in Westminster: The 100 event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women in Innovation 2020: new funding announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women leading the way in breaking down boundaries in science and innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM appoints new Special Envoy for Girls’ Education ahead of International Women’s Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy improves equality for girls and women in Sololá MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Third of FTSE 100 board members now women, but Business Secretary says more needs to be done MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women entrepreneurs pitch innovation for Africa to UK investors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid boosts support for African women entrepreneurs to expand businesses into global markets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women in Nuclear UK appoints David Peattie as new Patron MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women in Finance - 2020 Italy Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl Scientist wins Woman of the Year at Women in Defence awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DRS' Managing Director wins at Women of the Year Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Women and Equalities Liz Truss speech at The Telegraph's Women Mean Business event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Placing women's rights and representation at the heart of peacemaking in Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pushing for real implementation of women in the peace and security agenda MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secretary of State Nicky Morgan speaking at the Reform Women's Network MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Women and Equalities Liz Truss speaking at the FT's Women at the Top event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Ashgabat supports women's empowerment and gender sensitivity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Space Agency joins Women in Aerospace Europe organisation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Healthcare for everyone must prioritise women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights, says UK at UN General Assembly MoD News 0