Woman at Sea - Help!

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by Val the Gal, Jul 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Appropriate forum to put this in?
    Right, the RFA won't take me even though I've sworn allegiance to the same sovereign as the rest of you (grumbling Canuck) so how else can a woman get a job at sea? I'm no spring chick but think Radar in MASH: small person who knows where everything is and gets things done. I'm highly educated but that doesn't stop me from doing real work. And though not qualified, I can cook for large numbers and make a meal out of anything. Any suggestions or advice welcome and with thanks!

2. Are you in Canuck land now?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

How's about working as a member of the crew on the sail training ship(s) operated by the Sea Cadet organisations in UK and/or their equivalents in Europe?

4. Nope, I'm in Ireland. But I'll get on a plane to anywhere.

5. Oh, this sounds good. I'll look into that. Thanks a mill. (My avatar is HMCS Oriole which I had the great fortune to sail on up the coast of British Columbia once upon a time.) All I've found online so far are cruise ship & ferry ads, no thanks. I was wondering about tankers ...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  6. You weren't in Vancouver in 86' perchance??? If so it wasn't me ...nobody saw me ... you can't prove nothin!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I knew I'd find you eventually, you rotter. And she looks just like you.

(Sorry, got carried away. Forgot I wasn't in Lil's.)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jubilee Sailing Trust Our Mission - JST

I have sailed with them four times now as a buddy,great charity for all ages and disabilities.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

9. God I hope not! Poor kid!

10. How about a Spanish trawler? Plenty of sea time on one of those.

11. Theres also a few big yachts in the Med / Caribbean which take on cooks/general deck hands for the season. Helps if you've got a competent crew ticket on Ocean Going Yachts though. Friend of mine did it for a couple of seasons in the Med running up through the Greek Islands.

12. Give Arklow Shipping a try, they used to be good as long as you can sailor and cook but been a while since I sailed with them

13. Duchess3.jpg
    Here's my baby. Let's see yours.

14. And get fired on by the Irish navy?! They're not too popular here. (Or Canada, for that matter.)

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Have noted them all and will check them out (except the Spanish trawlers, sorry).