Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

WO2 Tiffs - How Successful?

avoiding_action said:
But don't forget at the end of the day the B13 has to be selected for promotion against competition from others! There may be no vacancies.

Our Tiff colleagues just pass an exam and get advanced to CPO! It's all swings and roundabouts!

Roster was always dry, we always lost so many that we were always short of Tiffs. About 10-12 years to CC/WO2. That is a lot of Donks/equipment destroyed to train us. :roll: They would not have kept promoting Tiffs automatically if they had too many.
I had to wait a few weeks to be confirmed CCMEA :D I have a B13 by the way. 1985.

sparkerbuntingnowcis said:
Sorry I forgot to mention the Chops cement head.

And the CPO(UW) on a T23!!!!!

Agree that Gollie has steamed a bit but that's not as rare as you'd think - one of my oppos on the CPO signal last year only did his LOM QC in 1999 and POQC in 2003

TheCommunicator said:

Agree that Gollie has steamed a bit but that's not as rare as you'd think - one of my oppos on the CPO signal last year only did his LOM QC in 1999 and POQC in 2003

Which branch was that then. Comms??

brigham600 said:
TheCommunicator said:

Which branch was that then. Comms??

Yeah, he's Comms - Guzz rate, first shout and eligible by days!!!

who the hell agreed to WO2 for only the more technical branches, bare in mind this will be the first time in our young tiffy's life he has been selected for promotion as apposed to passing an exam and being promoted regardless of the service needs at the time. hence the vast number of technical CPOs falling over each other to find a bloody job.
doesnt a CPO in any branch not deserve equal reward and future prospects for being the best within his branch, pay banding problems aside.

So as it is we have plastic WO's walking around basically doing the same job they did as a CCPO but with a slightly nasty air of self-importance one day he's Richard the next its "Sir!" if the job wasnt good enough for a WO1 why create WO2? to give us equality with the Army? not quite, the RAF refused to have WO2's, try asking a Squadron Flight SGT if he is happy about calling the Navy WO2 "sir" when they do the same job.
and as my final drip who the hell came up with their badge, i did wonder where the old NAAFI manager's shoulder badges went

London said:
We've had WO2 Tiffs for over 2 years now. Should the WO2 rank now be extended to other Branches or should we revert to the old Charge Chief system?

Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but what is a Charge Chief?

When I joined the RNR (sorry chaps), the system went PO, Chief, Warrant.

Be grateful if anyone could clear this up for me.

Cheers

beer_bosun said:
London said:
We've had WO2 Tiffs for over 2 years now. Should the WO2 rank now be extended to other Branches or should we revert to the old Charge Chief system?

Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but what is a Charge Chief?

When I joined the RNR (sorry chaps), the system went PO, Chief, Warrant.

Be grateful if anyone could clear this up for me.

Cheers

A Charge Chief Petty Officer was a senior CPO Artificer who was equivalent in responsibility to a WO2 Artificer in the army but who was still classified as a CPO (i.e. OR7). I believe they received extra pay but a CPO's pension. All Charge Chiefs became WO2s (i.e. OR8s) when the WO2 rate was introduced in April 2004.

jumpertucker said:
who the hell agreed to WO2 for only the more technical branches, bare in mind this will be the first time in our young tiffy's life he has been selected for promotion as apposed to passing an exam and being promoted regardless of the service needs at the time. hence the vast number of technical CPOs falling over each other to find a bloody job.
doesnt a CPO in any branch not deserve equal reward and future prospects for being the best within his branch, pay banding problems aside.

So as it is we have plastic WO's walking around basically doing the same job they did as a CCPO but with a slightly nasty air of self-importance one day he's Richard the next its "Sir!" if the job wasnt good enough for a WO1 why create WO2? to give us equality with the Army? not quite, the RAF refused to have WO2's, try asking a Squadron Flight SGT if he is happy about calling the Navy WO2 "sir" when they do the same job.
and as my final drip who the hell came up with their badge, i did wonder where the old NAAFI manager's shoulder badges went

OK here we go again.......
First of all not all WO2 are Tiffs. I started life as a WEM got SELECTED for Ordnance waited 2 years for my Hooks and my PO's before I was SELECTED for Tiffs Course. I was then SELECTED for surface and SELECTED again for Ordnance. Finally after passing a fairly tough exam made it to CPO. I was the lucky enough to be SELECTED for CCWEA. If I am lucky I will be SELECTED for WO1.
I work on a ship with a WO1 who awas a CPO on our last draft together. He has been Selected from CPO to WO1 where as I have already been filtered once. I am now in a position where I am up against guys who are already recognised as good at their jobs hence it will be harder to reach WO1. So do not try to tell me I have never been selected prior to WO2 (or CC as it was for me) :x

As you quoted "doesnt a CPO in any branch not deserve equal reward and future prospects" My answer is YES because if I had the same rate structure as some of you so called B13's I would have been a WO1 years ago :?

Quote 2 "So as it is we have plastic WO's walking around basically doing the same job they did as a CCPO but with a slightly nasty air of self-importance one day he's Richard the next its "Sir!" "

All I can say is you must know some knobs. :x

I took CCWEA years ago as it was an underpaid necessary evil to get to WO1. It was the only way we could get to WO1. You had to be first selected for CC. A job which gave you about £1-50 a day extra for a whole load of shite in your in-tray. Now the rate has been formalised every man and his dog wants it - hence the knobs out there :x

"try asking a Squadron Flight SGT if he is happy about calling the Navy WO2 "sir" when they do the same job."

mmmm not strictly true is it. I know as much about Tornados and RAF-y things as he does about the RN. I find that argument very shallow. :?

"hell came up with their badge, i did wonder where the old NAAFI manager's shoulder badges went"

Finally we agree. :p

My Bottom line
Dirtch a lot of the dead wood WO1's. Bring the WO2 in across the board. Make WO1 an elite staff job to aim for and get the pyramid shape back instead of the diamond we have got at the moment 8)

Latest Threads