Wirral Globe: "Laird-built HMS Campbeltown Arrives For Final Farewell"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Feb 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

I can't wait!! :D 3 ships in near enough as many weeks. The Royal Navy are proving to be the best physio I could ever wish for. I just hope the Surgeon doesn't pencil me in for sugery this week or I'll cry.

2. Fingers crossed he doesnt. If necessary Il venture to your well trodden but of beach and do your duty for ya :p

I know what you mean, its like Birthday and christmas all rolled into one :)

3. I wonder how the poor old recruiters will handle all the inevitable inquiries, given the already prolonged waiting times for RN entry?

.................................Or was Ninja just up there to visit his Aunties?

4. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

Thanks S_C, you're a star. It has been a great start to the year with all these visits. I just wish they could all stay. Would it be inappropriate to say that with the addition of the helo today, I did a little sex wee??

5. Not inappropriate at all :) . Very nice addition to a moving departure. I grew up in a family of shipyard workers to an extent so got to see many launchings and hear millions of stories. Loved it all. Glad to see a fellow addict. Too many people in this area have forgotten or never learnt the importance of all this

6. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

I'm from a Military family and I don't think I'll ever get bored with the tales and pictures. I think it's a shame that Lairds has become what it is now. I had 4 brothers so didn't really have a chance to be a "girl". My first go on a motorbike was at the age of 2 and that started my love of pretty much all things with an engine. It's progressed to the person I am now, with an added love of weaponry and Military history too.

7. Hurrah!!!!!

8. We look forward to seeing you all, and showing you what a proper ship looks like after all those Type 42s! (It is a shame they have a pre-refit photo though, without the strengthening beams and the new gun).

9. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

Bloody typical. We've had 4 days of blue skies and today it decides that what we need is freezing fog :sad2: I can't even see the road, let alone the river. One is not a happy bunny :rage:

10. Just looked out my window and can barely see end of the driveway. Running later might prove interesting. Hoping the weather improves over weekend in time for the open day on Saturday :)

11. Seems like our Merseysiders are just fair weather sailors then?

12. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

HMS Campbeltown arrives in the fog 029.jpg HMS Campbeltown arrives in the fog 026.jpg HMS Campbeltown arrives in the fog 025.jpg HMS Campbeltown arrives in the fog 027.jpg HMS Campbeltown arrives in the fog 024.jpg

The Wirral is Cheshire, not Merseyside ;)

It's starting to clear now thankfully. My eyes were playing tricks on me at one point - I was convinced I could see her silhouette but it wasn't, then she appeared out of the fog like a vision of beauty :D I really hope everyone on deck has a massive mug of hot chocolate waiting for them as it was baltic out there. I've just about got the feeling back in my hands, nose and ears.

There was a quite sullen looking man on the beach and he came over and asked what the ship was. I told him it was HMS Campbeltown and he lit up with pride. He worked on her and saw her being launched. He's going to get in contact with his friends who worked on her too and go over on Saturday.

13. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

14. We are only Cheshire because the Post Office says so. Not because we wish to be :p

Decent photos there despite the fog :)

Fog adds a kind of cool aspect to it all

15. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

Thanks :) I won't let a bit of freezing fog stand between me and some of our Royal Navy Fleet. Very soon all there will be is pictures and memories :(

As for the Wirral, it was Cheshire when I was little, then went over to Murkyside, and has thankfully gone back to Cheshire (whether it's just postcode or not). Going with the definition of the Wirral Hundred, I live in Cheshire. It's strange really - I lived down south for many years and they thought I was a "scouser" which annoyed me, yet when I go over to Liverpool, they think I'm from down south. I just can't win :lol:

16. Good pics. It was a bit chilly, but the sun is shining now.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

17. Welcome to merseyside SEP :)

Looking forward to having a look at the old lady when she's open to the public. Might remember my camera this time as forgot for the previous 2 ships :p

18. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

Seconded! Welcome to the Mersey SEP :) Scouse - I'll send you a poke to remind you about the camera ;)