Wired: "In Depth: The Nuclear Submarine That Can Remain Underwater For 25 Years"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, Feb 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not too shabby a report, got a couple of things wrong but hey ho :)
  2. They are comparing it to a 1970's designed space vehicle. God I hope not.
  3. Superheated steam?:dontknow:
  4. Superheated steam and CO2 bubbles leaving a trail were 2 of the things I picked up on Bandy. There again maybe they have devised a method of superheating to get rid of that nasty sat stuff ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah, the primary loop coolant water is pressurised by a superheated steam bubble, IIRC.
  6. Drifting into "not talked about" territory there Bandy!
  7. Bollocks, Wrecks, the basics of the technology is in the public domain and has been for decades.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. As you wish Bandy.
  9. My youngest did a school project on nuclear energy when he was 11 yrs old, he knew I was an ex nuclear submariner but not much else about my past. He told me all about PWRs used on submarines and was well pissed off when, after he had explained it at length, I told him what my job on SSNs and SSBNs had been.
    He had some cracking diagrams of reactors and primary and secondary loops. That was 12 years ago.
  10. Nice shiny bomb shop!
  11. Looks like theres a lot of lockers to go in, too much vacant space, dangling spray heads and pipe. Like to see it finished.

Jack and Ensign staff stowage is in.
  12. I like the jaunty hanging fire exit sign! :) is there a spiral staircase bolted on the casing?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  13. At the stem there's a sharp-edged casing under the waterline around the sensors(?).

Is that the finished object or a temporary screen to preserve secrecy of what's behind it?

P.s. In the article the Vanguard class replacments are called the 'Successor' class. I take it 'successor' a working name?
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  14. Main bow array - I COULD tell you, but....................
  15. Who is going be allowed inside there to keep it that clean ?

More seriously, I am amazed that with the huge increase in the size of the hull the control room is still so cramped - I'm sure that the only reason the rear end is secret is so that no one sees the four poster beds.

16. I suppose the capital initial "S" would indicate so.
  17. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

HMS Ballistic
    HMS Blast
    HMS Bombardment
    HMS Barrage

That's the names sorted out then.
  18. HMS Suck This.
  19. And the name ship - HMS Boring.