Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by old_fart, Jul 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone recommend a site to download a free (not trial) copy of Winzip?
  2. Many thanks 5dits.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

4. onMany thanks. Will do.
  5. Don't go near either of those!
    Limewire is full of viruses, PirateBay is being VERY closely watched following a court case between the owners and the Norwegian Gov. so keep well clear of that too :)

The best compression program out there currently is called WinRAR.
  6. WINRAR is a 40 day trial as well.....

Limewire is not full of viruses or trojans the programs or apps you download from other people via limewire may have malware in them, but that is the responsibility of the op to understand that what he downloads may corrupt his sytem, other then that Limewire is a very good program for P2P file transfers.

Not everything downloaded by P2P apps are copyrighted or protected, there are a lot of E books out there that are freely available through P2P, and there are songs out there that the owners have said go ahead and download (David Bowie for instance).

If you want to make an informed decision on your own about P2P then go to this site, and read the reviews... :thumright:
  7. I have heard that some people who download from sites such as Limewire and Pirate bay use this programme: to help prevent unwanted access to their PC's.

Have a nice day
  8. I haven't said that anything IS wrong with P2P downloading :)
    I said keep clear of those two sites. It was a friendly warning.
    Try Seedpeer. I am a member of POTUK (Pirates of the UK), but membership is by invite only. IF you ARE going to use P2P in the form of torrents, to download ANY kind of software be that films, music or software, whether legal or not, be VERY careful which sites you use and be aware that your ISP may indeed be keeping tabs on you.
    I would also suggest using utorrent as it is the program of choice :)
    Sorry to hijack the thread but a correction was needed :)
  9. Oh dear. And I thought it was an innocent question. How little I know about computers.
  10. Shipmate, if Winzip isn't available for free on the cover disk of most PC magazines then it isn't free at all :)
  11. a VERY quick google search found these
  12. Another completely free zip program is Filzip :thumright:

Oh and if you do get Limewire old_fart, definitely get Peerguardian
  13. Try this:

Looks like winzip, smells like winzip, costs nothing!
  14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What does it taste like?! 8O :wink:
  15. Better than the local vino ;)
  16. Winzip isn't free. You may well be able to find a free copy if you look hard enough, but that would be software piracy, and therefore naughty.

7-zip is free and AFAIK can do everything that Winzip can do. You can download it from