Winter sports in Scotland

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by daffy1, Dec 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone done any skiing or snowboarding in Scotland, if so what was it like ? im keping a close eye on the weather reports and the web cams and it seems its slowly starting to pick up, so would January be the best time ?, i know that its not going to be on par with Europe, States etc, but its some thing me and a few mates are considering as its only a few hours dirve.
  2. Cold wet and full of jocks.

Actually, it's not too bad, the conditions can be very hit and miss, snow...or too much and they shut the place down.

Aviemore was one of my favourites, the navy used to have a little cottage nearby in Newtonmore,and it was one of the best kept secrets, instead of battling our way south for the weekends, we'd leg it north and have a laugh, although the woman in the laundromat used to charge a fortune to dry yer kit off. Before the days of fancy ski gear, we'd be piling down the black runs in pussers foulies...

Just gotta look at the weather forecast and get on the slopes at first light, cos they've usually mushed up by mid-day.

Have fun.
  3. ben nevis is a great resort aswell and also plenty if snow at the moment as i was there today.
  4. Aonach mor has a gondola service up onto the slpoes and they are pretty much in condition now
  5. Been ski-ing up Aviemore, was quite impressive. IIRC, this was in January and snow conditions were super.
  6. Avimore gets big ticks all round and that's from the 90's.
  7. Having suffered the misfortune of being forced to live among the porridge bashers in Hagggisland from 1969 to 1984 and then again from 1986 to 1989 I can verify that due to its appalling climate ANY sport played in that god-forsaken country qualifies as a winter sport. That include pub games likepool, darts, (never a sport as long as my arse points downwards), and bar billiards because of the frosty and unwelcoming staff found in those establishments. Mank over.
  8. Cheers guys, been looking at the official website for skiing in Scotland, and to be honest it dont look too bad. Im looking at going in January time, but so far the weather is going well so by the time i go it should be pretty good skiing conditions.
  9. Glen Shee is worth a mention as well! used to love that!