"Wink Test"

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Tailz, Apr 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was trundling through PRMC.co.uk's forums about the medical and what it invovles.

I have no worries, except that NInja Stoker stated you have a wink test as such, for shooting.

Now i can only close my right eye keeping the left open, not the other way round.

And i'm right handed, is this a big deal?

And isit possible to be able to reverse it, and keep my left eye closed instead of my right, like, by practice?

Seems a little pathetic, but I wouldnt want to be failed medically because I couldnt close my left eye and keep my right open..

any help would be appreicated

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You cannot be passed medically fit until you can close your port eye & keep the starboard open - it's because you can only fire the SA80 right handed.

The rule was introduced recently after a serviceperson was medically discharged because they couldn't aim properly because the left eye remained open.

To date most people who cannot manage to close the left eye at the medical, and there have been a surprising number of individuals in this position, manage a miraculous recovery within a couple of weeks practising by holding the left eyelid closed with a random digit initially.
  3. Not much good for operating a microscope, camera or any other monocular optical instrument either!
  4. SO in order to practise

I should like, tape my left eyelid closed?

5. Ninja_Stoker

A previous Rum Ration thread refers together with some top tips.
  6. Have you tried superglue? :biggrin:

PS: Now Stokers, DON'T try this at home or on the messdeck.... it could seriously impair your ability to wink at oppos of the oppotite sex (or the same :roll: ) as you lie under the (open) beer fridge.... ;)
  7. Thanks Ninja mate

Top notch
  8. The worst combination is to be right-handed with a left master-eye OR left-handed with a right master-eye. Most weapons are designed for right-handed shots with right master-eyes.

Your master-eye is the eye that looks straight ahead; the other eye [your slave-eye] looks at a slight angle to give you stereoscopic vision and depth perception.

Not to be confused with the blink test.

9. You could always have a glass eye fitted :bball:

Worst combination I ever came across was the ex TA officer trained on the old .303 being shown the SLR. "If Sir cocks that rifle one more time Sir will get this size ten boot up his rear end Sir"
  10. So in all of naval history
    it just happens that everyone before that lad who got discharged in 2008
    can fire a right handed rifle and no one Has ever struggled.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, with a bit of practice, I've yet to see anyone fail to achieve it.

Rather than drip - get practising. A few tips here: http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/pmu-wink-test-the-solution.63066/
  12. This comment:

is simply genius!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. I am right handed but left eyed , bullseye with SLR but would struggle with SA80 as I would have to shoot right handed.
  14. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I realise that my comment will be of little use, but in my career the dedicated shots carried an eye patch to use on the unblinkable eye if it was found necessary.
  15. I was always puzzled by the "I'm a winker" song in the Sailor BBC programme. Now I think I understand - they must have been discussing marksmanship.

I'm still a bit mystified, though, how the poor chaps using SLRs and SA80s manage to get a decent grouping without the benefit of a proper Lee Enfield .303.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

I'm mystified how people manage to trap without being able to wink, let alone shoot 'guns'. Surely they don't have to engage in conversation?
  17. Having matinee idol looks the ladies pull me so no need for eye stutter.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. De rigueur for Pirates I believe. Peg legs optional.
  19. And a parrot. You've got to have a parrot.

20. I'm impressed! A seven year old thread caries on seamlessly!

Anyone tried a 'wink sock'? Would that help the occularly affected?