Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by higthepig, Jul 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK Sailors with a funny hat on and a shirt, when did this become fashionable? Jack was always recognised with a white front when he was in half blues, please can someone name the cretin that decided otherwise? Or was it because the female of the species are a different shape? And for all those modern Sailors who say "But It`s more comfortabe" FUCK OFF"

And the words Royal Navy on your shoulder? We want to be recognised, Jesus Wept, if the uniform had been left alone you would have been recognised, answers on a postcard to someone who cares, even if you cretins don`t.[​IMG]

2. Oh, are the piles giving you gip Higs? You had that baby yet?
    NZB

3. The standard rig was introduced about 7 years ago around the same time that JR Tiffs were put into square rig, if I remember. Found it a bit confusing at the time since it meant that all JRs would need both white fronts and tropical shirts. :confused:

Oh, and apparently the Royal Navy epaulettes were a "good idea" from on high, to avoid RN JRs being confused with civvy catering contractors, drivers etc and to make sure everyone knew they were RN - couldn't see the point myself.

4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

They, the tabs, do have their moments though. Remember the firemen's strike back in 2002 - One incident involved the rescue of a family from a flat in Southampton that made the national papers. On the front page of the Sun was picture of servicewoman holding the obligatory baby - shot taken at night, crew were wearing the new dark Gortex foulies - so how did we know she was a sailor - the words 'Royal Navy' writ large on the shoulder.

Believ it or not there is a lack of understanding and profile amongst the public at large as to what we do and where we do it... at the risk of using buzz words, Corporate Branding is very much the thing. This will not sit comfortably with the old and the bold I know - but thats the way it is these days...

5. was reliably informed that just as killicks and PO's badges were changed from red to gold the juniors wanted to have badges as to not feel intimidated by the gold on a chiefs badge.
    would have put eppelette but dont know how to spell it

6. as the risk of sounding stupid what has a uniform rant got to do with tennis. i did wimbledon and thought it was great. watching tennis and getting paid extra for it - ah bliss

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Shag, you need to remember that Hig shagged a frenchwoman, this gives an insight into his thought processes, He was watching Wimbledon on TV and saw a Matelot in modern rig, thus prompting both the post and the title, clearer now??? :thumright: :thumright:

8. mutter, grumble, mutter, grumble what's wrong with Square rig for fighting fires.......

;)

I was in London that day,in treasury, and that shot was really useful. On the day in question being able to put a face, and a story, to the discussion was quite useful.

9. janner

Shag, you need to remember that Hig shagged a frenchwoman, this gives an insight into his thought processes, He was watching Wimbledon on TV and saw a Matelot in modern rig, thus prompting both the post and the title, clearer now??? :thumright: :thumright:

10. Used to see the signal but can't stand tennis so never volunteered and never met anyone who done it in the ME world.
    What was the crack with stewarding at wimbledon is it a subbies job or are you accomodated in local army/crab bases?
    Be nice to hear some dits from those who've attended as stewards

11. Now that I'm a fat cat, I went to Wimbledon mens quarter finals (Corporate Invite) got chatting to one of the matelot stewards (was a CPO but looked about 15, but that's me getting old I suppose). Anyways, his ship in refit and he doing the two week stint, does it mostly for the social rather than the tennis. Said he get's an allowance for it, but was shacked up with some oppos who lived in London. Back in the days of the Royal Tournament I did it once, but had to stay at Earls Court itself, pretty shitty, but the piss ups after the shows were great.

12. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

[quote="Karma]mutter, grumble, mutter, grumble what's wrong with Square rig for fighting fires.......
    [/quote]

Nothing at all. In fact we could make it half blues with white gaiters. Then they could stop the Green Goddess a few doors short, break down the pump and ladder, get them over the first neighbour's fence via sheerlegs and then through the next one via a small hole, before re-assembling and fighting the fire.....

or are we just being silly..... :lol:

13. janner

Nothing at all. In fact we could make it half blues with white gaiters. Then they could stop the Green Goddess a few doors short, break down the pump and ladder, get them over the first neighbour's fence via sheerlegs and then through the next one via a small hole, before re-assembling and fighting the fire.....

or are we just being silly..... :lol:[/quote]

Be excellent for the corporate image, problem being that the house would have burnt down before they could get there

14. Buster,

I did it last year, but missed out this year due to the RNR PS screwing up.. Some people stayed at the local TA barracks down the road, and some drove in daily. I'm only 40 miles outside of London so drove in and I know some from Pompey drove up as well

I'm not the biggest fan of tennis, but I spent the entire two weeks on Centre Court by the BBC camera and had a great time. You receive a daily allowance, plus daily food allowance which gives you enough for something simple to keep you going (£12 a day last year) and a travel allowance from Unit to Wimbledon and back again. Over the two weeks, I received about £1000 in the hand from dailies and travel

The days could be long - you were on your feet from 0800 to sometimes as late as 2100-2130.. had to deal with difficult people.. but it was a lot of fun. I'm going to really push to go back next year - it's not all about tennis, but the atmosphere that gets to you

~

15. By that reckoning then Hig, we should still all be dressed like the fella at the top of the Home page. Got something against being comfortable? I spent all my years as a JR in a whitefront as night rig etc, but times change and, yes, shirts are more comfortable. Why would you "want" people to be uncomfortable - just 'cos you were?

16. The point that I am trying to make, however badly I phrase it, Sailors Do Not Look Like Sailors in White Shirts, may as well give them SR`s rig.

17. Quite right, I'm with you on this. They should bring back gaiters as well and those hairey blue jumpers.
    It dont look proper sir.

18. for all information the signal goes out early each year and we (the RN) never get the amount of volunteers which means that the raf (god bless em) make up the numbers.

you are SUPPOSED to take leave but that is a local decision - obviously i ALWAYS took mine.

wimbledon pay you an allowance to allow you to reside at a local hotel - or you doss at the neaest army/raf/police compound for free and pocket the readies. also noone goes to watch the tennis - well maybe some raf pukes - the rest of go there to get away from the wife and kids and piss up in london for two weeks.

Finally

what is it with this hig"always ranting like a cock about something) the pig & the frenchbird. i sure that not even can turn into a twat after one session of garlic rugmunching

19. Should be wear white S/M wooly pulley :afro: even more recognisable