Will this stop me rejoining?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by muskovardo, Apr 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I joined up a few years ago and ended up leaving during basic training. The main reason that i left was due to my own immaturity and not preparing myself. the other reason i left was i have a disabled girlfriend who at the time heavily relyed on me (she now has a full time carer).

I know that i will have to prove that these things wont affect me again and i accept that it would be my own fault for not being re-accepted.

I have reapplied and successfully passed my RT and my AFCO have send off my approval to process.

What im wondering is while at Rayleigh i was seen for a dry cough, the doctor said that no wheeze was detected but gave me an inhaler to use to ease it off. When leaving i was advised that if my symptoms persisted then i should make an appointment with an asthma nurse. I never had to make an appointment and since leaving have had no problems what so ever.

Im just worried that this could affect my application incase they see it as a form of asthma as i suffered with that until i was around 11 years old. Can anyone offer any advice on this? And is the approval to process them getting my medical records?

Cheers in advance

2. You won't know until the medics run the ruler over you again and they will want your med records. You may be lucky getting a second bite of the cherry if you can convince them that you're worth it. Make a job of it if you're successful. It's a great life with some ups and downs but then so is civvy street. Best of luck.

3. Cheers mate, im hoping i get the second bite.

Making sure that im fitter, have a better mile and half and basically proving that its what i want. I have a peak flow meter at home and have been keeping a track of that and its better than what i was getting when previously got accepted too. Just wasnt sure if they will have seen the records from Rayleigh yet or not?

4. Raleigh for Christ's sake. You've already been there, surely it's not that difficult?

• Like Like x 3
  5. It's RALEIGH you f*****T

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Divisional nightmare. Two things: If you failed to declare your partner was dependent until you were in initial training, then technically it was a fraudulent application. If that is how it was viewed at the time, it will affect future eligibility.

Second, you need to be 4 years clear of being prescribed an inhaler. An asthma wheeze at Raleigh resulting in an inhaler being prescribed may well indicate asthma symptoms beyond childhood.

Good luck, you may need it.

7. Sorry for the typo guys, habbit to write Rayleigh as my grandparents live on a Rayleigh close.

Will that fact that the doctor at Raleigh saying that there was no wheeze in my chest go in my favour? As another point does it make a difference that when i was first given the inhaler i was still allowed to stay in training?

As for the girlfriend it was only a few weeks before joining that her carer at the time left and thats why she relyed on my, never even thought that it would be fraudulent application but now you mention it i see where you are coming from.

Cheers guys

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's difficult to second guess but the category of discharge (medical, compassionate, DUDT, SHORE or PVR) will determine the outcome with regard future employability.

Very often, at the point of discharge, recruits will claim all sorts of things in their haste to exit stage right - especially if they want out before completing the first four weeks of their contract. For many, the concept of wishing to rejoin is risible and very often they keep digging during the discharge interview.

One loon even threatened to leap out of the office window if they weren't permitted to leave "toot sweet" - needless to say, the lunacy would've been credible were it not for the fact the interview was conducted on the ground floor....:donut:

9. Thanks that makes perfect sense. I was in my 6th week and it went down as a PER for category of discharge. From what my divisional officer said to me she was going to give me good reports for the effort I had put in during my time there. Fingers crossed anyway

10. Medically, your approval to process will mean a colleague will scrutinise your paper and electronic medical records. A judgement will then be made on your eligibilty on medical to rejoin. You may have to have a new entry medical, which given your history will also entail contacting your GP for a recent history.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

11. Thanks nemesis I was wondering what the approval to process actually entailed. Hopefully the fact that I haven't been the the GP since leaving will work in my favour then!