Will this illness 3.5 years ago prevent me from joining?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by TEKEB, Mar 29, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been interested in joining the navy for a very long time and have recently graduated in mechanical engineering. I would like to join as an engineering officer.

In late 2011 I was involved in a car crash and sectioned under the mental health act, I had suffered a drug induced psychotic episode that made me think there was a huge conspiracy going on I was in hospital for about 6 weeks. Since then I have been healthy and not had any issues and have stayed well clear of all illegal substances. I believe this to be a one time incident and have not been diagnosed with any mental disorder.

Is my attempt to join the Royal Navy futile?

I would appreciate as much feedback as possible - Tek
  2. I don't know anything about mental health and the Navy and most people on here would probably say that the only person that can tell you for are the medical people (my lack of terminology is appalling). Before or at the medical make sure they know about it and see what happens, give all the proof you can that it is a one time incident and hope for the best. I'm sure someone who knows more than me will be along soon to give more info though.

good luck
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst not qualified to give definitive medical advice it is important to manage realistic expectations. Sad to say this is likely to be a significant issue with regard suitability for service.

The posibility of extreme duress encountered in an operational environment means that the service is duty-bound to safeguard the welfare of the individual as much as those who may rely upon them.

Whilst there is nothing stopping an application being submitted, it's important to appreciate from the outset that a history of mental illness involving a hospital order, drug induced psychosis or sectioning is a bar to entry.

Whatever your decision, good luck in your alternative career aspirations.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Thanks for the feedback, would I be right to assume that any instance of being sectioned would be an instant bar to entry?

I understand my chances are likely to be slim to none and your not qualified to give any official medical advice, but is there any 'official' way I could discuss the issue with someone or would it just be apply and hope?

Thanks again for your response - Tek
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Best bet is to contact your nearest AFCO to see if they can arrange a chat with the RN medical manager so he can tell you exactly the same.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Counselling is obviously less of an issue than psychosis or sectioning but is essentially treatment. The length of treatment will be the critical factor together with a period in excess of three years free from treatment.
  7. So if I was currently undergoing counselling I take it this would be a bar?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

What do you think?
  9. What if it was private counselling, I take it this wouldn't appear on any medical records? It's not proper headcase stuff so just worried it will muck up my chances for nothing.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

The priority is your own health & wellbeing, not joining the Navy. Get yourself sorted first, that is the single most important thing.

Once you are free from treatment apply, but be aware private or NHS treatment is equally as relevant. You do not want to be leaping forward then taking several steps back.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Ninja, Do you still need to declare private treatment though? Surely there's no way for them to find out? I just want to join up and do a job and have a life I know I'll love and don't want anything to get in the way of that, with safety for myself and colleagues in mind of course.
  12. With regards Private Treatment, we used to sneak off for private treatment to avoid declaring stuff on our diving medicals...nowadays it's all computerised and linked in. I dislocated my knee for the 4th time and thought I'd got away with it by going private etc...Was quite shocked when my doc asked how my knee was at my annual diving medical.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. I know this is off topic, but where did you go to uni?
  14. I'd rather not say CalCi, as you can imagine, its quite a personal situation and the stigma behind mental illness is still really quite intense. As much as I'd like to say I'm not ashamed of my brief illness, people do tend to be rather judgemental and I've found that its generally best to hide it. Although looking at your profile I'm quite confident you don't know me.
  15. Sorry if it seemed a little forward. It was just that I've been looking at unis in the UK that offer engineering. Anyway, good luck with the Application!