Will they search facebook?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Scarecrow, Jun 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys :)

I had a root around with the search bar but couldn't find anything relevant (maybe I'm just not good with search bars, I don't know xD) so I thought I'd ask you guys ...

I am currently on the lead up to AIB having applied for Pilot, and I was wondering if the Navy (as some employers have been known to do in the past), search for your facebook, and get an impression of you from it (which could go against you if you have a 'socially active and fun lifestyle' to put it one way xD)? And would they, if they did, have special privileges to get around privacy blocks?

Thanks in advance :) I've been an avid reader of this forum since I first applied, and the advice given has certainly made a contribution towards passing each stage (except medicals and opticians of course :p), It's just only now I've felt the need to ask a question and sign up

Cheers, Shaun :)

2. Got something to hide???????
    Security and personal security (persec) is not a dirty word!!!!

3. Not particularly, just I'm pretty sure the Navy wouldn't want to see teenagerish things on my facebook account from a potential officer :p

4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Big fat No!

However, if you are DV'd (in depth security clearance process) then you will be subject to a very deep level of scrutiny indeed. I'd consider carefully what you put on facebook now, lest you have to explain it to a po-faced individual in a few years time as to why you appear to be sexually interested in cucumbers...

5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

If you post a link, we'll check it out and decide if you need to delete anything.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's not a service policy, however I've heard several times of potential joiners being Googled.

I've had two rather amusing bits of feedback via PM regarding things stated in the public domain within the last month, that were brought up at interview.

Discretion is the key.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cucumbers kill !! Well German ones do.
    :)

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011