Will my RN application be affected?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by barnsley1995, Oct 22, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

Recently my application to the RAF was rejected permanently and I am not allowed to reapply, 'forever' according to the AFCO staff on the phone. The exact reason why has not been disclosed to me and it seems unlikely that I will be able to find out as data protection laws can prevent me from getting the information if it related to the armed forces.

As a result, after careful consideration and research I have decided to apply to the Royal Navy as a marine engineer, however I was wondering whether the RN and RAF cross reference applications and if I would be barred from applying there too? I understand that I would need to declare my unsuccessful RAF application though I do not know why it was rejected, but unsure if the RN would check the interview notes/review from the RAF?

2. Even with data protection, surely the RAF can give you an insight into why you are banned from applying?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I asked for a specific reason but was denied any insight or summary of why my application was rejected :/

When I rang to chase my application up, 2 weeks after my interview the AFCO staff claimed to have sent me a letter with the details on, on the 5th September the day after my interview. They sent it to the wrong address which is 2 doors up however we are good friends with these neighbours and they said they had recieved nothing. I was also told the corporal who did my interview would call me to discuss it, this never happened.

I rang again the other day which is when I was finally told it had been rejected, and they said a second letter had been sent following my first phone call but they had still not corrected my address.

I says that I needed to know why my application was rejected in case it affected my RN application but all I was told was 'they ask different questions' but not the slightest indication of what it was exactly.

I did disclose previous drug use on the grounds of integrity and honesty. It had been within 1 year of applying however I was not taking any form of drug at the time of applying therefore to my knowledge I had adhered to their policy on drug use.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sounds fairly obvious that your social habits (recent recreational drugs use) were deemed incompatible with a service career.

For those who don't realise it, the issue is attitude to drugs not whether you happen to be actually smoking a spliff during the bleedin' interview whilst stating "I know my rights".

Clearly you need to seriously consider whether the armed forces are for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It's either you were not camp enough!

Told them you were happy to work weekends!

Told them you were good at cleaning!

Never had a superiority complex!

I would say they are duty bound to tell you why your application was refused? Unless you are a spy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  6. Ninja_Stoker

If someone is bone enough not to make the connect between recreational drugs use and recent rejection, the RAF should've realised it needed spelling out in a letter using a large font for the hard of understanding. :)
  7. Have to say I find that attitude ridiculous. Just because I have had contact with substances in the past does not mean I have not worked hard to distance myself from a particular group of people in light of bettering myself and working towards achieving my own goals and a career I love rather than wasting it and spending years regretting poor choices.

Please, forgive me for trying to make a positive change in my life.

I merely stated that I was adhering to the policy because quite simply I was. Now it is of course highly possible that my previous habits were deemed incompatible.

However banned 'forever' I can't understand. I'm 19 at the minute. If I reapplied say at age 25, 6 years from now I would still be banned due to mistakes made in my youth?
  8. I keep drumming this into my 11 year old, be aware of making mistakes that bite you in the arse later.

I grew up in an area of N Wales that had a major drug problem in the 80's. I could see my mates heading down that route and made the decision to distance myself from them. Two are now dead, one is still doing it and the other like me took another route.

I'm not insinuating you should be in Trainspotting by the way

Not sure what the policy on drugs is but Ninja is the oracle on things recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Zero tolerance as far as I'm aware, and I had expressed my regret towards my previous actions and certainty that I would decline any offers of substance offered to me should I come into contact with that group of people again.

So my attitude to drugs in the past was of course wrong but in the months leading to my interview and now I can't see the main problem
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Fair one.
    Good spot
    You can of course submit a subject access request to the RAF to ascertain exactly why you were knocked back. They must legally respond.

On the subject of previous social habits: Less than 12 months is not really a momentous, life-changing positive switch in attitude. It maybe for you, but clearly that's not the image portrayed to the RAF.

I recently spoke to a former Royal Marine Recruit who tested positive during Recruit Training, aged 17. He was discharged & re-applied seven years later. He was refused, based on the positive drugs test, a permanent bar to re-entry. He appealed. He was again rejected. He wrote to his MP who in turn asked the question in the House of Commons. He was told to wind his neck in again.

11. So going forward from that, would you advise that I wait until a longer time has passed before I submit my RN application? As in over 12 months.

I do understand that what constitutes a long enough time for me to avoid drugs is probably not long enough for any of the armed forces recruitment.

The main question is whether the RN will look at my RAF application when processing it? I will of course provide honest answers to any questions asked in an interview but I would like to know if they cross reference?

Also regarding the Royal Marine recruit, I could understand him being banned as he tested positive whilst actually in recruit training whereas I had not even reached medical stage? though the zero tolerance policy applies throughout I imagine so it does still Make sense.

Besides I feel there is more opportunities after service for marine engineers than logistic mover personnel which is what I applied to do in the RAF, all information I get here is simply to inform me and help me to improve my future application rather than take it to the House of Commons lol

12. Think what you have to realise is that you are applying for a job and just like any employer "they" (in this case the RAF) are not duty bound to give you the job because you just tip up for an interview. While the Armed Forces are one of the biggest employers in the country and there is a man power shortage, because of the number of unemployed / school leavers they can afford to pick and choose. The rules are there for a good reason and will be applied without exception so if you fall outside the rules/regulations = no job .. and as far as I am aware the three services will share information although I stand to be corrected by Ninja (as guru on these matters).
  13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Sadly 12 months isnt very long in the greater scheme of things. Ultimately though kids get told 'dont take drugs' for a reason. You're now discovering that your own foolishness has closed the door to a career in the armed forces and you have no one to blame but yourself.

I would look for a new career option in future.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. I would be surprised if 50% of the armed forces recruits had been drug free for a year before applying to join the service. That doesn't mean they can't go on to have a good career and serve their country drug free whilst doing so.
    You should have just done what everyone else does and deny it, first step to being a good matelot deny everything.
    I understand the service has a policy on drugs but if the services are turning people away for what is common place for teenagers then they will be loosing out on a group of people who very possibly could be some of the best people to join the forces.
  15. I hear allot of fair points about how doing something once shouldn't brand someone a liability after doing wrong and if he was to have done something to improve himself and to move away from being associated I personally would give him the benefit of the doubt. But 12 months is far to short of a time to expect any employer especially one which will put a gun in your hands to trust you.
  16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Where does he say that he only take them once? He also says less that a year which could mean the week before. I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt as you only have his word that he has moved away from previous associates
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Could be.

Perhaps we should scrap the drugs test & encourage habitual drugs users to make good the manning shortfall. After all, alcohol is a legitimate drug, what could possibly go wrong?

18. Great idea Ninja, lets go a step further ad offer positions to all the beggars who are asking for us to spare them some change, honestly guv I want to work but I aint got an address.
    The services have standards and these standards should be kept. Drug use is a voluntary action, those who abuse them and blame their peer group do not have what it takes to join a disciplined service.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

They often work in the same office and had you joined one service, left & applied for another service, your former service disciplinary records would be scrutinised.

In the case of recruiting, apart from word of mouth, the RN would not routinely have visibility of RAF or Army reasons for a rejected application, but they would know you were rejected by another service.
  20. I'd have thought there would be a very significant difference between;

declaring in your initial application that you have taken drugs in the last 12 months but have now changed your lifestyle to better yourself

a recruit who has passed the selection process, started at CTC and then failed a drugs test.

I'm assuming based on his name that the OP is 19. If he has been drug free for almost 12 months but had taken drugs since he was born before that then 5.3% of his life would have been drug free. Less than ideal. However if the OP reaches 26 and still hasn't taken drugs then 30% (and the most recent 30%) of his life has been drug free. To me that is a significant difference.

Now obviously if th OP was actually a big-time drug dealer then my whole premise goes out the window but either way I think the RAF should give him a reason for rejection.