Will my 'mental' family hold me back?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by anty_pants, Mar 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

Am fairly new so please dont tease me if i get my facts wrong. Currently am in a very long selection process but was just wondering if having a history of mental illness in my family will be held against in some manner?

Any info will be appreciated :thumright:

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi welcome to the site.

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination however the guidance notes state the following MAY be a bar to entry:

Psychiatric disorders

Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia Obsessive-compulsive
    disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate
    self-harm of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or
    substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless
    free of symptoms and not requiring treatment for at least 3 years. Anorexia and
    bulimia.

"AngryDoc" is probably best to advise, but I believe the issue is whether you have suffered from the above conditions, rather than your family.

3. Hi & Welcome,

Mental Illnesshas run through my family. Only seems to be one person from each generation and male :w00t:

Didn't effect my application and I joined up, I think it has to have actually effected you or something along that line.........best gain advise from a doctor though.

p.s. remb RR isn't 'official' advise

4. NO NOT UNLESS YOU HAVE ANYTHING ON YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS

DON'T EVEN MENTION IT

5. It should not make any difference to your selection.

As said above all the worries about mental illness apply to yourself only.

During the selection process and interviews your family situation and background will be discussed.
    A complicated family background will not be a bar to entry unless it is apparent that the recruit is acting as a carer for a family member. Even this will not stop entry if the recruit has a mature attitude and realises that a naval career is likely to necessitate significant periods away from home.
    The navy does not want recruits who are extremely likely to cry off and want to go back home due to family problems.
    Best advice is to be honest and tell the recruiter about the situation. You don't have to go into great detail, just explain the situation as it directly affects yourself. Displaying a sensible and mature attitude to a problem, rather than hiding it or pretending it doesn't exist will impress.
    We had a young man who was the primary carer for his disabled brother. He was straight with the careers office and managed to arrange alternative future care. He joined up with no problem.

6. You will hopefully be judged on the merits of your own application and how you come across at interview, etc.

Good luck.

SF

7. Thanks guys for your help v.useful.

8. That would be on the same lines as any convictions I reckon.

I told them No!!! Poaching is not a conviction I thought to myself. I was only feeding my family with his Lordshits pheasants and the local butcher was happy with fresh game birds. Such happy times long ago!!

9. shippers

i am afraid to inform you that you will be hoiked out of the rating corp at the first sign of idiocy and made an orificer asap.

think about going pilot aswell