Will my eye condition effect my application?

I have just passed my Psychometric test and I am going in as a Marine Engineer.

I was born with "Lazy Eye" in my left eye and I had to wear patches and glasses throughout my whole childhood.

But, as I am now 21, I don't wear glasses all the time as I can see perfectly without them. My vision in my left eye is not really bad, but I struggle to read with my left eye alone and that is the only reason why I wore glasses throughout childhood.

So, even though my right eye is perfect, will my left "lazy" eye effect my recruitment?

I have no idea whether or not the current medical will exclude you or not.

But I just thought I'd mention that years ago I had a number 2 maintainer with a lazy eye - we called him Uzi.

As in 'Who's he looking at' - think about it!!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Difficult to say with any degree of certainty but both eyes must each meet the corrected and uncorrected visual acuity standards. If the prescription in either eye is greater the +/- 6.00 dioptres, sphere or cylinder in any meridian, then unfortunately it will be a show stopper.

My distance is perfect for that with both eyes according to my previous prescription. The only thing I am concerned about is my lazy eye as I struggle to read past the third line of the Snellen chart (with aid).

And, when you say "both eyes", do you mean the eyes are graded individually to determine a "pass/fail" result rather than them being graded with both eyes open, which I think'd be the most reasonable regulation?

Difficult to say with any degree of certainty but both eyes must each meet the corrected and uncorrected visual acuity standards. If the prescription in either eye is greater the +/- 6.00 dioptres, sphere or cylinder in any meridian, then unfortunately it will be a show stopper.
Highlighted section offers a clue - Why not scuttle along to your Optician/Opthalmist with the above information from Ninja plus your most recent eye(s) test result and see what he says?

Especially as <<...I struggle to read with my left eye alone...>>

Done that, Mr. Bob.

My distance is fine, but I worry about the Snellen grading. Is that less/more important than the "refraction limit" (distance)?
When you "done that" what was his opinion of your eyesight results WRT that worrying Snellen Grading?

Did you ask him how you stood with the particular standards just quoted above by Ninja?

Beyond that, the expertise available from me or anyone else at RR to advise you is 'above our pay grades'.

Cool that you are looking ahead at these standards, a shame that the arbiter of those is not a subscriber here though.

photface

Lantern Swinger
Done that, Mr. Bob.

My distance is fine, but I worry about the Snellen grading. Is that less/more important than the "refraction limit" (distance)?
I'm an ophthalmic nurse. Snellen grading is distance reading. That is why it gets smaller the further down you go. There are numbers at the side of the chart which help the person assessing you. It is always from six feet away so would always be 6/something. For instance if you can't read past the third line on the snellen chart without glasses your vision would be 6/24 aided. 6/12 is considered to be okay for social situations and 6/6 is considered 'normal'. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photface

Lantern Swinger
Okay, I see. So, what is the difference between grading this method e.g. +/-6.00 and the Snellen grading (e.g. 6/24) or are they the same?
Not the same. I'm not an orthoptist so can't tell you about that apart from to say that it is the refractive outcome, so the strength of lens that you need to use to have 'normal' sight. You'd have to talk to an optician to discuss that number as I don't have the training so can't in good faith tell you anything about it. Sorry about that!

-B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Again, just to emphasise, I'm not qualified to give definitive medical advice but just to hopefully help the OP get his optician to advise, I've uploaded the Visual Acuity (VA) gradings for RN below.

Note there are differences between right & left eye due to firearms training requirements (apparently).

Anyone who is graded below VA3 cannot join the Royal Navy unfortunately.

ET(ME) must meet VA3, both eyes.

Attachments

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Isn't that his problem? ;)
Reminds me of the Doc we had conducting our medicals...

He came out of the examination room crying laughing, stood behind him in the room was a young lad stood in his boxers looking perplexed.

The Doc had said: "Touch your toes"...the lad turned on the balls of his heels and turned his feet inward so his big toes touched.

As I've said before - my No2 looked just like that, obviously without the hairy caterpillar! Now you can understand why we called him 'Uzi' ......... who's he looking at?

Blocked to make it easy to understand for the thickos!

joel

Midshipman
As I've said before - my No2 looked just like that, obviously without the hairy caterpillar! Now you can understand why we called him 'Uzi' ......... who's he looking at?

Blocked to make it easy to understand for the thickos!
As HMS Brenda currently has no aircraft the DLCO position might suit him for the time being.