Will my AIB score get me into Dartmouth for Observer

I know. I shouldn't be asking this question as there are a million threads on it. However I can't find one especially for Observers so just thought I would pop the question. After a bit of chopping and changing I've passed FATS for Observer and have passed AIB with a score of 108. Now obviously the AFCO has said that makes me eligible but I've heard of people that pass AIB only to find they are never offered a place due to low scores. Now I'm aware mine is relatively low but was wondering if I'm still in with a chance as apparently the Navy are short on Observers at the moment. Will my FATS score also dictate if I'm given a place aside from the obvious pass/fail? Any help would be much appreciated

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Well done in achieving a pass.

Technically anyone passing AIB can be seleceted, but as you rightly observe, it can be a lottery with regard supply and demand inflating the points required to meet selection if there are a surplus of applicants in your cohort.

AIB and or your ACLO will usually brief you on your likelihood of making the cut. A letter or brief suggesting you have achieved a creditable pass and can be reasonably confident of selection in your chosen branch is about as good as it gets. Anything lesser usually means "don't give up your current job".

Not that what I think carries any weight, but I'm of the opinion we should simply award places on a first past the post basis as I prefer my officers to be able to plan ahead and don't like the idea of a last minute merchant who scores highly getting the job ahead of the rest of the field who posses the gift of foresight.

I'm loathe to declare a level of points required as it could and does change but I seem to remember 120 was a strong pass for aircrew, but in any case your ACLO should be giving you an AIB debrief - give him or her a call. Good luck.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Not that what I think carries any weight, but I'm of the opinion we should simply award places on a first past the post basis as I prefer my officers to be able to plan ahead and don't like the idea of a last minute merchant who scores highly getting the job ahead of the rest of the field who posses the gift of foresight.
I'm sure there's a line of argument destroying this but I'm currently too busy and lazy to try and come up with it. Do you want a half assed argument now, or a killer one later on?;)

The French have an expression for it: Esprit de Escalier, literally the wit of the staircase. That killer line you think of to put someone back in their box... 20 minutes after the conversation has ended.:D

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ok, it's errrrrr..... Bullshit...
Agreed it's not without it's flaws but we cut our cloth accordingly & a high AIB pass no more equates directly to the quality of the finished product than a higher than average recruit test score.

Reminds me of my opening line with my new boss at Oxford URNU "Who in their right mind with an Oxbridge degree wants to join the mob?"

His reply was a strangled "Erm, well actually..." his point being whether we want the best available, my point being the highest achievers in tests aren't always the very best in practical terms.