will I have to fly?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by LeTache88, Apr 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,

I know this is going to sound daft but I would like to know if I join the RN as part of the surface fleet, hopefully comms tech fingers crossed, will there ever be a time I will have to get on a plane? for example to meet a ship or move from base to base perhaps? I've never been on a plane before, the idea makes me very uneasy, if I have to I will obviously, I would just like to have a heads up. Thanks in advance guys.

Take it easy,

Cruiz Munro
  2. Occasionally when no Rotary wing a/c are available to send people onto carriers, two seat harriers are employed. Pilots chuck you about a bit. Just have to hope the lads servicing it didn't go out on the piss the previous night :)
  3. Are you B.A. Barracus?
  4. Yep all the time!!!!! and some times the recovery is a bit hairy!!! dont worry :roll: http://usera.imagecave.com/scouse/Eagle1970(1).jpg
  5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The Boss says:

Get some nuts sucka.
  6. Oh dear, more suited to the RAF perhaps...er, no wait....
    Just tick the "No flying." clause box on the Recruitment Form at the bottom of page 2 IIRC, either that or join the Parachute Regiment, dead cert for non flying duties then.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, it does a little.

The Armed Forces tend to conduct global operations with Naval personnel moved around the world to meet ships or transfer between them. Often the quickest & cheapest way of doing this is by air, be it by helicopter, RAF trooping flights or commercial carriers.

We also use real bullets, carry explosives and fight wars - which worries most more than flying.
  8. Easy answer - beat your demons, and go on an aircraft now, whilst you can call the shots.
    With return flights from as little as 30 or 40 quid it'd be a cheap and easy way to knock it on the head.
    And whilst your at it visit somewhere you have never been before, get out of your comfort zone a bit.
  9. I remember the first time I ever flew. I went on Draft from my ship in Singapore and was flown home. Can't complain the flight was raffles class and cost £1,700 for a one way trip. I still have the ticket as I doubt I'll ever experience that once more :lol:
  10. No one told me about all that stuff when i joined up, didn`t half come as a nasty suprise :wink:
  11. Nowadays, Health and Safety Legislation demands that potential Recruits to the Armed Forces are informed that they may actually be required to fulfil their oath to the Queen. 8O :wink:
  12. Guns? Ooh nasty! me no do..
  13. Hi Cruiz!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

As you can see, you might well be asked to travel by plane at some point in your career, if you were to join the Royal Navy.

I think that it might be worthwhile looking at a Fear Of Flying day - I've heard good reports of the one at Virgin - details are here:

I know that it looks like a lot of money, but you will have time to save up - it will take a few months to work your way through the application process for a job in the Navy and there will also be a waiting time while you wait for a place in Basic.

I would recommend that you do something about your fears now, rather than later. As an extra incentive, try to imagine the possibility that you may want to travel by plane for other reasons at some point - you might be asked by someone you really like to go on holiday with him/her; you would really kick yourself if you had to say no and explain to him/her that it was because you don't travel by plane.
  14. I dislike (perhaps even FEAR) flying personally but not enough to be a wimp about it. You get on a plane, it flies, you land. Maybe you shit yourself but what can you do? I don't think flying is at all pleasant but it's an unfortunate occupational hazard. Having said that, I've always been quite comfortable in helicopters. There's something about being in an enormous, metal phallus that penetrates its way through the air (like a commercial aeroplane) that is distinctly disturbing.
  15. Sometimes you have to get over your fears in order to serve your country, I never thought I'd be seen dead in white shorts and white knee socks, but I sacrificed my personal sense of style in order to represent my country in tropic attire.
  16. Thanks for that guys ( the ones who actually answered my question not just compare me to b.a, was funny though i will admit). By the sounds of things i'm gonna have to size up my balls and jump in, i am not going to enjoy it however but i'm not letting anything as little as that stop me, I don't like being stopped you know how it is, but genuinely the explosives and bullets don't worry me half as much as getting on a plane, i am well aware of how stupid that sounds, thats why it annoys me that its such a big thing to me. one more question, how often will you be flying?
  17. Cruiz

Just as an aside, how far into the application process are you?
  18. I'm just about to make the call to get the ball rolling, thanks by the way for the fear of flying website, it is most definitely something I will be going for. How often have you had to fly?
  19. You spoilt git, I too got flown home from Singapore, it sure wasn't first class, and it was a return fare, about 56 days later. The hotel in UK left something to be desired as well, all the staff shouting and blowing whistles. 8O :oops: :D