Will I be sent home if my bmi is over?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by andy-m, Jan 15, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

I'm joining Raleigh this Sunday and really worried I'm going to be sent straight back because of my bmi. I Know the standard is 28, but mine is 28.6, can anyone give me any idea whether this will affect me?

2. I'm 27, 6'2.5 and weigh 98.3kg, I'm physically fit and can run the 2.4km in 10.45, so I'm hoping this won't scupper my chances.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unless granted exceptional dispensation at the AFCO medical examination and passed fit to enter with a BMI over 28, your BMI must be under 28.

This will have been advised and recorded at the AFCO medical examination. It will have again been advised, if borderline on PRNC. It will also have been advised by your AFCO.

There should be no ambiguity however if unsure, call your AFCO for clarification.
  4. Many people already have been sent home.
  5. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Just tell them you've played international level rugby. Your path will be smoothed all the way along.
  6. I've spoken to a friend I know, who is in week 9 of Raleigh and they've told me I'll be fine. She said the doctor will just tell you me to do extra phys in order to shift a few kg. Hopefully this is the case. I guess I'm just going have to wait and see. Thanks for the info though guys.
  7. My bmi was 29.9 and I weighed 102kg at PRNC, I was told to drop it to 28 just haven't had the time due unforeseen circumstances.
  8. Might be worth asking you AFCO if you can go on a later date. No point getting kicked out and have to wait years to reapply when you could postpone for a few months and be ready!
  9. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

For interest I just inputted my BMI (182cm high, weight 97kg, fast RNFT runner, mostly muscle). Results indicate I am just under 'obese' by BMI standards.

Seems an odd value to treat as a requirement!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

For all its faults, notwithstanding a good many Divers & Royals have a BMI over 28 & are extremely fit, it's the standard applied for entry. This last year about 70 people have been medically discharged day two at Raleigh & a good number of them for having a BMI over 28.

All those on PRNC with a borderline BMI are advised of this and if discharged because of it, have to pay their own way home. If advised you're over, then regardless of circumstances, I'd advise you have enough money in the bank to cover return travel - just in case.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Just tell the doctor what your friend said and I'm sure all will be okay.:D
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Trainer

In all seriousnesss, this can be problematic. BMI data is a group statistic that is applied to individuals. A friend of mine, ex RN and RNR, had the unfortunate situation in life of being shaped like the 8 Ball off a pool table. A classic endomorph. Though fit enough for Naval Sports he struggled to get weight off his entire service career to fulfil BMI. Angry Doc is right, but in my case being of a similar build to you Andy, it's my left foot that's fallen to pieces. I would suggest, if you've not done so, to get decent trainers. Outside of Phase 1 Phys, where you'll have your Pusser's HiTecs on, a suitable pair matched to your build can miraculously improve your training ability. Choose a shop where you can be put on a running machine and have a gait analysis done. Us bigger units struggle on Bleep Tests because it's like turning round an ocean going tanker every 8 seconds. Getting decent footwear put about 6 shuttles onto my MSFT. All in the mind? Don't care, it's empirical...

I struggled with Phys all my regular career - it took me 6 months initially and a backclassing to get through BFT. The 1.5 miler time was the same for 16 year olds up to 32 year olds. I had to do it, and eventually I did, 2 stone lighter than when I'd walked through the gates.

You gotta make 28, you gotta make 28. Best of luck. Do it. Once you're in, it's a great career....
  13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Totally agree on trainers - I was training for a half marathon last year, got new shoes at the time which turned out to be not good enough, gained a hip injury and now struggle to do a reasonable distance without pain.

I always found the MSFT challenging, not because of the speed but just because as a large guy its a pain in the arrse to turn around with poorly supporting shoes. I've just spent a lot on good new running shoes and will hope to see the difference shortly!
  14. True ref trainers, having not done any real fitness since leaving the mob in 08 and putting on a wee bit of weight I started the C25k at new year. My old trainers were not in the best of condition having been used for DIY, gardening and had a few holes.
    Invested in a half decent pair and have noticed the difference this week. Scales have put me in the next stone down too.
    Bugger getting up at 05:30 though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Ninja_Stoker

A little tip with regard trainers, running, running injuries such as shin-splints, gait analysis, & corrective (over-pronation) insoles...

Be aware if you have prescribed orthotic insoles, they're a bar to entry. The tip? If suffering from lower limb niggles/injuries - buy "over the counter" insoles such as sorbothane.
  16. Trainer

Another top tip from my Physiotherapist: if the bottom and side rubber of your trainers has gone crinkly, like they do, then they're shot.... depending on the hammer they receive, that could take about a year.
  17. Thanks for all your info. My bmi is still a little over 28.4, hopefully they give me a couple of weeks to get it below 28, I think it equates to about 1.5kg, as I'm already here. Just awaiting the shuttle. I will try and get as much extra phys in as possible. Another quick question what level is the pass/fail on the bleep test? Thanks again and fingers crossed.
  18. You've already had plenty of time to get your BMI down. Why should they give you any more.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  19. Cos he is Spezial

drakey you are not nice man like that Mr Ninja
  20. Make sure you a have a big shit before they weigh you mate... Oh and let us know how much it cost you to get home ;)
    • Like Like x 3