Will I be Accepted (No Offence Intended) ?

I'm a postgrad in an engineering discipline (Nuclear). I was considering joining as a Submarine or Aircraft Engineer. I'm ethnically Pakistani and my question is essentially, would I be accepted? Now I don't intend to offend anyone with this question and I'm being completely serious so please read what I have to say.

I know officially I will be accepted and there's no issue there. I am talking more on a personal level and hope people could honestly chime in. As If I join I'll have to be spending a lot of time in the Navy, I would prefer honest (even if controversial) answers. The last thing I want is to go into this not expecting something or not being prepared. I mean to ask if I will be treated differently (but not in obvious ways). That could range from passive aggressive actions or distancing themselves from me.

You may think I'm putting too much into this and I probably am, but I would really appreciate it if you could think about this from my point of view and see where some issues could be. I know the official answer would be there'll be no problem but I'd like some more in-depth answers. It's an anonymous forum so please speak the truth. I won't begrudge you for it and I'm not saying it's wrong if I will be disliked because of my ethnicity. The whole point of this isn't to discuss that.

I just want honest answers and opinions (however controversial) to help me get an understanding of what I'd be in for. So I can make a decision to go down this career path. As I'm sure you're all aware this profession requires a lot of trust and togetherness. Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate all answers. Like I said, I don't care if I am disliked because of my ethnicity and I'm not going to argue about the semantics. This is purely so I can make an informed decision.

I had a good Indo/Pak buddy when I was in. Everyone liked him and he also volunteered for Christmas duties too!

Seriously, as long as your attitude is good, you'll be fine.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The issue is all about what passport(s) you hold, nothing to do with anything else.

If you hold a Brit passport, besides any other, you can join the submarine service as long as you meet the UK residency requirement but there are restrictions on branch and level of entry due to access issues.

The deal with the submarine service and warfare is, so I'm told, governed by the US/Brit Nuclear protocol for submarines & restricted access to Warfare branches such as aviation engineering. It even affects Irish only citizens besides Commonwealth only.

For clarification and confirmation of eligibility, just email the overseas desk by email at [email protected] If waivers are available, this chap is best placed to advise, but I suspect your chosen branches may be off limits unfortunately (hopefully I'm wrong).

Best of luck - the RN would be screwed for manpower were it not for overseas service men and women.

Unless Jack and Jenny have changed as people then you shuld have no problem.
Though I joined and left probably before you were born I served with a number of mates who were both ethnically and religeously different to me.
Religion and colour made no difference. We were mates.
Must admit at times there was banter which in this day of PC correctness would no longer be accepted but the banter swung both ways.

The issue is all about what passport(s) you hold, nothing to do with anything else.

If you hold a Brit passport, besides any other, you can join the submarine service as long as you meet the UK residency requirement but there are restrictions on branch and level of entry due to access issues.

The deal with the submarine service and warfare is, so I'm told, governed by the US/Brit Nuclear protocol for submarines & restricted access to Warfare branches such as aviation engineering. It even affects Irish only citizens besides Commonwealth only.

For clarification and confirmation of eligibility, just email the overseas desk by email at [email protected] If waivers are available, this chap is best placed to advise, but I suspect your chosen branches may be off limits unfortunately (hopefully I'm wrong).

Best of luck - the RN would be screwed for manpower were it not for overseas service men and women.
I'm a Brit and classify myself as one. I'm asking about any who might not consider me a 'True Brit' essentially. Eligibility wise, I fit the criteria and can enroll. I was just wondering about this aspect.

I had a good Indo/Pak buddy when I was in. Everyone liked him and he also volunteered for Christmas duties too!

Seriously, as long as your attitude is good, you'll be fine.
Yeah I'm really chill and like to go drinking and the like. I was wondering about those who won't like me no matter what.

Unless Jack and Jenny have changed as people then you shuld have no problem.
Though I joined and left probably before you were born I served with a number of mates who were both ethnically and religeously different to me.
Religion and colour made no difference. We were mates.
Must admit at times there was banter which in this day of PC correctness would no longer be accepted but the banter swung both ways.
I don't care about banter. If it's all in good fun then it's fine. I can give and get.

Yeah I'm really chill and like to go drinking and the like. I was wondering about those who won't like me no matter what.
I've served with just about every religion and skin colour, on boats no-one gives a toss. It's you as a person is how you're judged, plus can you do the job and, more importantly, be on watch on time ;)

Last edited:
@Newman123
Nobody cares as to the colour of your skin - this is 2018.

What is judged is your professional performance, your attitude, your ability to mix, both on and off duty and your sense of humour, especially when you are doing your twentyfortyseventh day at defence watches.

Stick in your application - the globe awaits.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'm a Brit and classify myself as one. I'm asking about any who might not consider me a 'True Brit' essentially. Eligibility wise, I fit the criteria and can enroll. I was just wondering about this aspect.
I'll answer this as it was an ongoing enquiry.

If you meet the eligibility criteria, then bollocks to any bugger that thinks different.

Good luck, welcome to the RN and ignore idiots (we have many) and crack on.

Newman

If I were you, I would start the ball rolling as soon as you can - there are several stages to work your way through and you may as well begin now.

You have so much to gain from checking this out, so get cracking!

99% of people you will serve with won't give a damn to your background/religion/shoe size etc. They will only care about your character and whether you are a good oppo or not.

The other 1%, and unfortunately they do still exist, will probably not like you or accept you. However, the sort of people who hold an individuals skin pigmentation against them generally have pretty sizeable shortcomings in their character, and don't tend to be accepted by the other 99%.

Served with a couple of racist individuals and they didn't have any mates who would want to spend time with them outside of work.

Don't let it stop you joining because the 1% will be found in all walks of life. If the Navy is what you want to do, I'm sure you'll have a good time doing it.

Work with two Pakistani-heritage lads here at my current unit. One Army Int Corps Sgt and the other an RNCT. Two better blokes you couldn’t find. No one actually gives a **** about their religion or skin oolour. The army lad gets a lot of shit for being Scottish though.