Will having a cataract operation exclude me from the marines

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by stefanfed, Jun 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi im wondering if anyone can help i have had a cataract operation in my left eye, my eye sight is still good and just as good before i had the operation, would this exclude me from joining the Royal Marines?

2. Re: Will having a cataract operation exclude me from the mar

Hi,

According to the tri-service Guidance booklet (AFCO 5). the following applies:-

C. Unsuitable Conditions. The following conditions make a person permanently unsuitable for entry into the services:

Eye Disorders - Cataract or Cataract surgery.

Therefore I would expect that you would be permanently medical unfit to join.

That said, if you want to apply you can and the medical officer will get the final say at your medical during the selection process

Best of luck

Neil - supermario

:nemo:

3. Re: Will having a cataract operation exclude me from the mar

My advice....don't mention it, if you get through the medical then you've proved your OK, if not, it was never to be......and if they find out you covered it up to serve your country they will either assume you are hoofing for giving it a go anyway, or a nobber. The difference will be whether or not you are a nobber!

Anyway, what's the worst they can do?..........Shave your head and send you to ganners?

Do it.

4. Re: Will having a cataract operation exclude me from the mar

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes 2 years ago. Even if you lie on the questionaire the eye doc will pick them up in a flash, pun intended, and will let you know there and then what the deal is.

I would imagine it's because the new lense, unlike the original is a floating object and therefore subject to shifting under violent strain leaving you blinded as a result if it does move.

My suggestion would be to be honest up front, who knows what the outcome will be, it may be an old rule that doesn't apply anymore.

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Busta-Gut: I'm sure Supermario above is referring to the current rules - he should know... :thumright:

6. Re: Will having a cataract operation exclude me from the mar

In that case....he's fcuked :thumright:

7. Surely the white stick and guide dog would give him away?

8. Re: Will having a cataract operation exclude me from the mar

Never lie on medical questions as if found out it is classed as fraudulant entry and this wil bar you from the forces - so i got told anyway

9. Re: Will having a cataract operation exclude me from the mar

Er,...so he won't be any worse off then> its either own up and not get in or don't and get barred?,,,Having said that, I haven't the slightest idea how easy it is to detect that an operation has been carried out> If it is indeed bleedin' obvious to any doc then he is truly fcuked and a career in the Women's Auxiliary Baloon Corps becons?

10. The badly singed eyebrows ala Wily E Coyote in the Road Runner cartoons is the sort of effect I think, or is that Laser surgery

11. Cataract surgery is a bar to entry to the Services, not just the Marines.

Re: lying on your application form - I have said this many times but will say it another time just in case some of you didn't get it. Medical Officers are not stupid. It is usually patently obvious when someone lies about things like this. Not only will you be booted, but it will be dishonorable and you will not be able to reapply.

Those of you promoting lying on the form - ask yourself if you want to be serving alongside someone who is willing to lie on a form as well as sign this in a declaration. If they think this little about their name, how would you value their honesty if it came down to running for cover or protecting their oppo?

I have known several people to lie on the medical application form. All of them were seen through, all got booted. Dont' do it.

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I have put this on before but its probably worth repeating.

If you make a false declaration or statement and gain employment through it you have comitted a criminal offence. Its actually called gaining a pecuniary advantage through deception, it follows that if you are caught out having started work you are liable to criminal proceeding.

There are no let outs its the law.

13. I think the halt and lame should be encouraged to attend their local AFCO.....to be given a through kicking for thinking that a blind asthmatic/excema riddled numbnuts has what it takes to serve in my Corps .....HOORAH and Semper Fi.