Will all submarines be based at Faslane?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by hello_there, Aug 29, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I understand the Trafalgar class submarines are currently based at Devonport, when they are completely replaced by Astute class (2022 according to wiki) will they all be moved to Faslane?
  2. Depends if the Scot get anther referendum and vote to split the UK, then who knows? I did think they were all heading to Faslav
  3. Current plan is that the last 2 T Boats (TALN & TRIU) will move from being Devonport based to run from Faslamabad until they de-commission - timings as vague as everything else in the RN!
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Call me pedantic but when they are "completely replaced" they won't be in service and there whereabouts won't concern you unless you are in 'disposal' or a peace camp.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Your pedantic?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Call me pedantic, but shouldn't that be "their whereabouts"?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  7. Your pedantic? You lot are strange?
  8. Seadog

I'll blame autocomplete as I flounce off to the corner and sulk.
  9. Is there room in that corner? What about Mr Corbyn's floorspace?:)
  10. Seadog

I'm sitting on his lap.
  11. You two need to get a room and be pedantic together?
  12. To paraphrase Harry Enfield, I can't say I agree with you, but I admire your honesty :)
  13. Seadog

After this humiliation, I'm not pedantic, I'm just wrong. The shame... I wet the bed too.

14. Now look what you've done, Sumo. And I'd already booked the room.
  15. Bed wetting is an issue and can be caused by many things, scared of the boogy man, copious amounts of CSB, other recreational beverages are available or medical conditions where the doctors insist on a digit inspection? Basically bed wetting is curable but until such times use a protective cover on your bed?

Being pedantic is a much more serious condition, brought on in childhood when you realise you do not fit in so in some miss guided notion you buckle down at school and learn stuff in the belief this will make you popular and fit in? This is the miss conception you become clever, more like a smart arse that notices small gaffs in the mere mortals of this planet, and through you hard gained knowledge you point out these gaffs, hence you to belong to the Pedantic Society and should still get a room, one of you may need to wear rubber, for protection, from wee?

Now you can enjoy your happiness knowing you are not alone?
  16. As members of the Pedantic Society, we are under an oath not to enjoy happiness. I can't tell you more ( n.b. not maw) unless you are a member, too. If you should wish to apply, membership requires detailed knowledge of the correct use of there, their, they're, can't, cant, c*nt, more, maw, your, you're, yaw and yore. And, of course, its and it's.
    It's quite a small Society.

If it's any use to the OP, though, we do have a branch in Faslane.
  17. What about as, has, have& had? I have no idea, which one to use? Should have listened at school instead of enjoying myself?
    • Like Like x 1

18. Steady, Sumo, you could be in danger of being co-opted into the Society....

Seriously, you raise a valid point. Many people don't understand and use "I should of...." instead of "I should have..." You got it right in the quote above.

If it helps (Pedant mode ON)

I listen, you listen, I have listened, you have listened, I should have listened, you should have listened ( as indeed you said!) , I had listened, you had listened. All use parts of the verb "to have" to mean slightly different things re listening.

Where the confusion arises is that "I should have" can be abbreviated to "I should've" - which is perfectly correct but sounds like "I should of".

Similar problem arises with "I would have...." - it can be abbreviated to "I would've" but is often wrongly written as "I would of".

Think about what you said about school: "If only I had listened" or "If only I'd listened" to remember that you use part of the verb "to have" rather than the word "of".

(Pedant mode OFF.)
  19. My head hurts