Will a Police Caution affect my entry to RN?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by bory_1876, Sep 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think I might have had a formal police caution more than 4 years ago, Im not too sure if it was a formal caution or if it was a verbal warning. Does anyone know if this will show up in the security check if it was a formal caution? and if so will it affect my chances of being able to join? Any help would be great!

2. It will probably depend the offence.

From the RN website:

So really, you need to contact the Careers Office, tell them about the FPC and the type of offence that was committed.

3. If it is an adult caution (you would have been 18 or over at the time and admitted the offence to receive a caution) it remains valid for 5 years from the date of caution and must be disclosed on any application for employment where the question is asked.

If it was a juvenile caution, which was replaced by reprimands and final warnings (for 17 and under) from memory I believe they remain valid for three years from date of reprimand or from 18th birthday.

So I think it depends how old you were at the time of the caution/reprimand.

Either way, I suggest you disclose it and then you show you are not hiding anything - I would also hope our resident expert, Ninja, will be able to give you a definitive answer in the not too distant future.

Edited to add - either way, good luck with your application

4. It was an adult caution and was definately more than 4 years ago, although probably less than 5. It was for possesion of a controlled class A substance (1 ecstacy tablet). I have no other criminal record at all. Im already quite far through the app process and have filled in the security clearance forms but didnt put it on because I thought a caution only stayed on record for 3 years, until today that is. I'm really worried now because I really dont want to let one stupid mistake mess this up. Any advice is appreciated.

5. Unless things have changed radically in the past two years I think you will find that a formal caution for anything but an offence that would place you on the Register of Sex Offenders drops off the computor after 3 years. dead, finished, no longer exists, so we are back to the offence.

Dishonesty, Public Order, Assault (non sexual), motoring et-al 3 years.

Nutty

6. You do of course understand that the Services, for obvious reasons, have a zero tolerence level to Controlled drugs, one strike and your out, no appeal no liberal you will get another chance. Even a bit of blow you would be back in civvie land so fast.

Also they do have random or not so ramdom testing and the culture is very much to report suspicions of drug use as one day your life may be on the line.

If you have not grasped that back away now.

NUtty

7. So would you say that goes for the RN Security Clearance checks too?

Edit - I totally understand this, I dont do any kind of drugs, believe it or not (and i won't blame you for not) it was a total misunderstanding in a nightclub that got me the caution in the first place.

8. If you were cautioned for possession of a class A drug over four years ago in all my experience that caution no longer exists in Police Records. It should have gone 3 years to the day from when you were Cautioned

Unless there is any still serving Officer out there who knows different.

Nutty

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Drug Offences by Young Persons

If you're under 17, the police can also tell your parent/s or carer, and inform the Social Services and the Probation Service. Depending on the circumstances of your case, and local prosecution policy, the police then have these options for punishment:

1. A formal warning (which is put on local police files. If you offend again this may influence the police to charge you, rather than caution you).
    2. A formal caution (a central police record held for 5 years. If you offend again, this can be used against you).
    3. Charge you with an offence leading to a Youth Court hearing. (This is more likely for repeat offenders, who may end up with a fine or a custodial sentence).
    You can be cautioned more than once, but if you keep getting caught, you'll go to court.

Eligibility Requirements for RN Career Options - Criminal Record

If you are awaiting a court appearance, in any other capacity other than as a witness, you may not be eligible to apply until the outcome of the hearing is known. Please check with your Armed Forces Careers Office.

Spent and unspent convictions (including prison, young offenders institution or probation) for certain types of offence may mean that you are ineligible to apply for entry into certain branches or trades within the Armed Forces. If you have any doubts about which branches or trades fall into the above categories, please seek advice.

Ex-Servicemen or Servicewomen discharged for disciplinary reasons will be ineligible to re-enter.

Further advice: Criminal Records Bureau

10. sgtpepperband

Not necessarily; every incident is dealt with on a 'case-by-case' basis; not every positive drug result will end in that person being discharged from the RN, but that is a subject for another thread.

All Compulsory Drug Testing is random; neither the Regulators or the CDT can choose who to test. If the name is on the list, they get tested. If a name isn't on the list then you cannot 'add' them, just because they're a 'bit sus'.

The RN has recognised - as has the Army before it - that, regrettably, abusing recreational drugs is a common social occurrence. Therefore recruits who declare they had taken drugs prior to joining up - and assuming they no longer use them - will be 'educated' on the Armed Forces' policy on drugs and alcohol abuse. In fact these lectures (by the Fleet Substance Abuse Team) are also a good source of intelligence, as it helps educate us about what is happening 'on the streets'.

11. So would you advise I call the AFCO and tell thema bout this? Even though I have already filled in the security clearance forms? Or would I be better to just wait and see if it shows up and if it does explain I thought the caution would be gone after 3 years? Thanks

12. Yes, definitely - honesty is best in this case. They will find out eventually and it shows you genuinely regret your mistake.

13. sgtpepperband

The AFCO will check your criminal record via the CRB anyway; assuming you've not committed a capital offence there should be no problem. But I would definitely advise you to notify your Careers Office sooner rather than later.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whoopsie!

On the Security Questionnaire you are meant to disclose ALL convicted offences, spent & unspent. You DO NOT have to disclose spent offences to your Careers Adviser & any conviction disclosed on the Security Questionnaire ("SQ" or MOD Form 1109) should be detached, put in a signed, sealed envelope & attached to the SQ.

Regardless of whether it is spent or unspent the DVA will ask you if you have disclosed all convictions if they come across anything you've omitted. If you fail to disclose to the DVA (NOT the Careers Adviser), your Security Clearance (SC) will be rejected for dishonesty. No SC, no entry.

Nutty is entirely correct with regard the RN policy on drugs -Zero. And Nutty is Ex- RN & Civil Police.

Sgt PB is entirely correct about compulsory random drug tests. Sgt PB is current Service Police.

Convictions regarding Class A Drugs can be a complete bar to entry in certain circumstances.

My advice? Continue worrying until your SC is granted.

15. I didnt realise a caution was classed as a conviction, I wasnt convicted of any thing I was only cautioned. Are they the same thing?

I'm sure my Careers advisor said he couldn't or wouldn't send the Security clearence forms until I'd passed my PJFT (Which I havent yet), do you think they would let me change what I put on the forms if I explained the circumstances? thanks in advance

16. sgtpepperband

N_S: Ssshh, don't tell anyone what I do - then they won't talk to me! 8O :lol:

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If it was a Formal Police Caution, it means you have admitted the offence & accept the caution. You probably signed it to that effect.

Otherwise it is not an offence.

18. do you think they would let me change what I put on the forms if I explained the circumstances? Or is there naything else I can do?

19. sgtpepperband

Technically you are correct; it is an admission of guilt for an offence without the need to go to court:

Home Office Website: Police Powers - Cautioning

20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

To avoid any confusion, I would suggest that as this was over 4 years ago it would have been a formal caution. If this is the case it is a conviction and should be declared.
    If it was after 2003 it will be as per SgtP post