Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wierdest Food

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Following on the thread about preferred destinations, it got me thinking about the most weird and wonderful food/drinks we have tried around the world. So what's the strangest thing you have put in your mouth!!! :wink:

For me it is a tie between chillied frogs in Malaysia and a whole boiled goat (complete with skin and fur) in Ras Al Khaima. I'm sure there's weirder stuff out there.

When I was in Bangkok (Sorry Lingy, Krung Thep!), I once had one of those deep fried small bird type things that you can buy in the market.

Not that weird now, but it seemed like it at the time, especially eating it in front of my mates.

However, on a stag weekend in Newquay, I once ate part of someone else's vomit. Actually, I was only after the french fries he had brought back up after we'd been in Burger King (honest), so I ate those and left the rest alone.

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
That is outrageous TD!! I will now be scanning the cyclists on the Gosport Ferry trying to spot the sort of man who would eat puke!!! :lol:

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Reindeer is great. I had to choose between that and whale when I was in Norway and my kids would neveer have spoken to me again if I'd been munching Free Willy!! (so to speak)

As you can imagine, out here I eat things like dog and locust, frog and other assorted lovelies. But the foulest meal ever was in Ghana, it was a stale loaf of bread hollowed out with some runny scrambled egg like mixture poured in.
Utter sewerage!

slim

War Hero
Donkeys Treasure in China.
Not saying what it is but only male donkeys have them and they only have one.
What was it like.......................Believe it or not Extremely Chewy

charlieoppo

Badgeman
Deep fried bees in Thailand, weren't too bad washed down with a few beers. Balat - fermented rotting fish. Now that just isn't on, absolutely thrutching.

charlieoppo said:
Deep fried bees in Thailand, weren't too bad washed down with a few beers. Balat - fermented rotting fish. Now that just isn't on, absolutely thrutching.
Never a truer word spoken, that shit should only be eaten on fear factor :lol:

slim said:
Donkeys Treasure in China.
Not saying what it is but only male donkeys have them and they only have one.
What was it like.......................Believe it or not Extremely Chewy
Duuuuuuude, Tell me it aint so :lol: :lol:

2badge_mango

War Hero
You don't even have to left these shores to have eaten wierd food.
During the war, as a growing lad, when meat was rationed to penn'orths per week, the occasional pig's or sheep's head was a bit of a luxury, and only the skull was left when we'd finished.
Horsemeat, and towards the end of the war, whalemeat, were an important addition to the diet. We would literally eat anything that was put in front of us, and surprisingly, apart from the normal "growing pains", rarely went hungry.

2BM

Heart-of-Oak

Badgeman
Anything that comes on board bearing the text "RN Spec".

Crocodille Tail is very tasty; but that was at a restaurant in Cheltenham.

slim

War Hero
2badge_mango said:
You don't even have to left these shores to have eaten wierd food.
During the war, as a growing lad, when meat was rationed to penn'orths per week, the occasional pig's or sheep's head was a bit of a luxury, and only the skull was left when we'd finished.
Horsemeat, and towards the end of the war, whalemeat, were an important addition to the diet. We would literally eat anything that was put in front of us, and surprisingly, apart from the normal "growing pains", rarely went hungry.

2BM

I used to buy meat for my freezer in bulk. If I bought half a pig the butcher always offered me sausages in exchange.
Horse meat, nothing wrong with it, even old horse meat is tender which is why the frogs eat it.
Dog, a delicacy in China especially in the cold North as you get a warm feeling after eating it.
Thailand the large beetles often sold to the girls in bars are OK they taste of tuna, unfortunately the meat to beetle ratio is small.
Durian fruit, stinks so much it is banned from hotels and aircraft. Supposed to taste delicious, not to me it didn't.
Birds nest soup, a delicacy for the Chinese, expensive and tastes awful.
The Chinese have a saying "If it's back points to the sun then you can eat it"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New blueprint for better hospital food MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New rules and logos to protect British food and drink MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New rules and logos to protect British food and drink MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British food and drink to take center stage at upcoming China International Import Expo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra updates in agri-food and environmental topics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish speciation for food authenticity: e-seminar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra food waste initiatives bear fruit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Bounce back’ plan for agriculture, food and drink industry launched MoD News 1
MoD_RSS £63 million for local authorities to assist those struggling to afford food and other essentials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World Food Safety Day 2020 - food safety is our business too MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £16 million for food charities to provide meals for those in need MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 1 million food boxes delivered to those most at risk from coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd donates £10,000 to provide food to the vulnerable MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over half a million food packages delivered to those at risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cash support for food redistribution during coronavirus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First food parcels delivered to clinically vulnerable people MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from the Environment Secretary to the food and drink industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: CMA open letter to pharmaceutical and food and drink industries. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Growing global appetite for British food and drink exports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safe food for tomorrow's world - 2020 Conference programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GC team shares expertise in food authenticity in Vietnam MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over £1m to fund food waste fight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Walsall fast food boss banned for failing to maintain books MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Agriculture Bill to boost environment and food production MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pet food company’s recycling negligence leads to charity donation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World craves British food this Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GC conference: Safe food for tomorrow's world MoD News 0
B Realistic Food Expectations in the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
MoD_RSS E-seminar: Real-time PCR for food authenticity including horse DNA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government Chemist at food allergy event in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Work with China to transform food production: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK pet food chomps Asia and Middle East markets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid partners with Gates Foundation to tackle global food insecurity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS EU Exit guidance for agri-food stakeholders from Defra MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transforming the way we produce food: apply for business funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF supports new Angolan power infrastructure and development of sustainable food supply MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Secretary champions Welsh food and farming industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government encourages food exporters to get ready for animal health regulations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New report shows further sugar reduction progress by food industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Food allergy -jointly organised one day conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Primary Authority helps SA Brain & Co with Food Safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The National Food Crime Unit visits LGC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hospital food review announced by government MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public to have their say on the food system of the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid to provide vital food to hundreds of thousands of people living on the edge of famine in South Sudan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England weighs in with one tonne donation for food banks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK supermarkets sign government pledge to help halve food waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Food safety, everyone's business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Gove steps-up government action to cut food waste at landmark ‘Step up to the plate’ gathering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Michael Gove on tackling food waste MoD News 0