Wierdest Food

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by jambosun, Mar 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following on the thread about preferred destinations, it got me thinking about the most weird and wonderful food/drinks we have tried around the world. So what's the strangest thing you have put in your mouth!!! :wink:

For me it is a tie between chillied frogs in Malaysia and a whole boiled goat (complete with skin and fur) in Ras Al Khaima. I'm sure there's weirder stuff out there.
  2. When I was in Bangkok (Sorry Lingy, Krung Thep!), I once had one of those deep fried small bird type things that you can buy in the market.

Not that weird now, but it seemed like it at the time, especially eating it in front of my mates.

However, on a stag weekend in Newquay, I once ate part of someone else's vomit. Actually, I was only after the french fries he had brought back up after we'd been in Burger King (honest), so I ate those and left the rest alone.
  3. That is outrageous TD!! I will now be scanning the cyclists on the Gosport Ferry trying to spot the sort of man who would eat puke!!! :lol:
  4. I'll be the one on the 0700 ferry who has never, ever, ever eaten anything from Burger King since :oops:
  5. Monkey Brain Soup in Honky Fid :shock:
  6. Too obvious? Cheesie wam bams with mashed swede/turnip and marmite potatoes. Any pussers grey!
  7. Reindeer.

Not too exotic but Father Christmas hasn't visited my house since.
  8. Reindeer is great. I had to choose between that and whale when I was in Norway and my kids would neveer have spoken to me again if I'd been munching Free Willy!! (so to speak)
  9. As you can imagine, out here I eat things like dog and locust, frog and other assorted lovelies. But the foulest meal ever was in Ghana, it was a stale loaf of bread hollowed out with some runny scrambled egg like mixture poured in.
    Utter sewerage!
  10. Sticky biscuit !!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock:
  11. Donkeys Treasure in China.
    Not saying what it is but only male donkeys have them and they only have one.
    What was it like.......................Believe it or not Extremely Chewy
  12. Deep fried bees in Thailand, weren't too bad washed down with a few beers. Balat - fermented rotting fish. Now that just isn't on, absolutely thrutching.
  13. Never a truer word spoken, that shit should only be eaten on fear factor :lol:
  14. Duuuuuuude, Tell me it aint so :lol: :lol:
  15. You don't even have to left these shores to have eaten wierd food.
    During the war, as a growing lad, when meat was rationed to penn'orths per week, the occasional pig's or sheep's head was a bit of a luxury, and only the skull was left when we'd finished.
    Horsemeat, and towards the end of the war, whalemeat, were an important addition to the diet. We would literally eat anything that was put in front of us, and surprisingly, apart from the normal "growing pains", rarely went hungry.

16. Anything that comes on board bearing the text "RN Spec".

Crocodille Tail is very tasty; but that was at a restaurant in Cheltenham.
  17. I used to buy meat for my freezer in bulk. If I bought half a pig the butcher always offered me sausages in exchange.
    Horse meat, nothing wrong with it, even old horse meat is tender which is why the frogs eat it.
    Dog, a delicacy in China especially in the cold North as you get a warm feeling after eating it.
    Thailand the large beetles often sold to the girls in bars are OK they taste of tuna, unfortunately the meat to beetle ratio is small.
    Durian fruit, stinks so much it is banned from hotels and aircraft. Supposed to taste delicious, not to me it didn't.
    Birds nest soup, a delicacy for the Chinese, expensive and tastes awful.
    The Chinese have a saying "If it's back points to the sun then you can eat it"